* Re: suddenly the "device" identification changed
@ 2003-06-23  0:00 Heimo Claasen
From: Heimo Claasen @ 2003-06-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Ah, thanks Conway - already one trail to foillow (and I'll do that later
to-night): convincing because indeed logical (where else could have come
nothing else but the [hd]"g" come from ?!).
-hc
// Heimo Claasen // <hammer at revobild dot net> // Brussels 2003-06-22
The WebPlace of ReRead - and much to read  ==>  http://www.revobild.net

-

* Re: suddenly the "device" identification changed
@ 2003-06-22 17:19 ` Stephen Samuel
From: Stephen Samuel @ 2003-06-22 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: beolach; +Cc: hammer, linux-newbie

beolach@juno.com wrote:
> What I would guess happened is somehow your IDE channels got reversed.
> This an option designed for those (like myself) who have their main
> disk drives on an offboard IDE controller. On a "normal" setup, the
> motherboards onboard IDE controller's two channels would be ide0
> and ide1, and any offboard controllers (which, on a laptop, you would
> most likely not have) would have channels ide2 and ide3.  If the
> option to reverse the IDE channels is selected, ide0 is swapped with
> ide2, as are ide1 and ide3.  This also affects the drive device ids.

The reason why this wouldn't bother DOS/Windows is that dos/windows
automatically renumbers devices.  Since the CD-ROM is still the
second IDE device on your box, it will still show up as D:

RedHat has a program called Kudzu that probes for changes like that...
It's reall good at popping up at boot time with messages like (The
Cdrom Drive at XX has been removed yes?? /// There is a new cdrom
drive at YYYY Yes??)

I'm surprised that mandrake doesn't have something similar.

--
Stephen Samuel +1(604)876-0426                samuel@bcgreen.com
		   http://www.bcgreen.com/~samuel/

-

* Re: suddenly the "device" identification changed
@ 2003-06-22  3:47 beolach
From: beolach @ 2003-06-22  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hammer; +Cc: linux-newbie

What I would guess happened is somehow your IDE channels got reversed.
This an option designed for those (like myself) who have their main
disk drives on an offboard IDE controller. On a "normal" setup, the
motherboards onboard IDE controller's two channels would be ide0
and ide1, and any offboard controllers (which, on a laptop, you would
most likely not have) would have channels ide2 and ide3.  If the
option to reverse the IDE channels is selected, ide0 is swapped with
ide2, as are ide1 and ide3.  This also affects the drive device ids.
I will try to diagram this below.

Normal setup           | Reversed setup
Onboard controller     | Onboard controller
   ide0                |    ide2
      hda              |       hde
      hdb              |       hdf
   ide1                |    ide3
      hdc              |       hdg
      hdd              |       hdh
Offboard controller    | Offboard controller
   ide2                |    ide0
      hde              |       hda
      hdf              |       hdb
   ide3                |    ide1
      hdg              |       hdc
      hdh              |       hdd

As to what caused the IDE channels to become reversed, I have no idea.
Obviously uninstalling Netscape should have absolutly no effect on the
IDE channels, nor would M$ Windows or DOS.  The only ways I know of to
reverse the IDE channels is to pass "ide=reverse" to the kernel at the
boot prompt (or in an append in lilo.conf), or to recompile the kernel
with the option to reverse the channels.  You can use dmesg to check
whether or not "ide=reverse" was passed to the kernel.  If it was,
just remove it (probably from /etc/lilo.conf, if you use lilo).  If it
is not present, try passing it to see if it reverses it back to the
usual way.

On your upcoming battle to install Mozilla, the missing dependancies
might possibly have been removed when you uninstalled Netscape, but I
would guess that that would be highly unlikely.  I have no experience
with Mandrake, so I don't know how it's package system works.

Wishing you luck,
Conway S. Smith

@ 2003-06-22  0:00 Heimo Claasen