* How to mount reiserfs with a relocated journal?
@ 2003-07-11  2:12 Doug Bazarnic
From: Doug Bazarnic @ 2003-07-11  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

Hello,

I'm running RH7.3 with a patched 2.4.21 kernel (03-relocation-8.diff.gz
<ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/mason/patches/data-logging/2.4.21/03-relo
cation-8.diff.gz> ).

I can't get my relocated journal drive to mount.   Are there any special
arguments I have to pass to mount?

Mount complains that it can't find a superblock on /dev/sdb1

I used  mkreiserfs /dev/sdb1 -j /dev/hda1 .

/dev/sdb1 is my 73 gig Scsi HD, and /dev/hda1 is a 512 meg compact flash
card hooked up to the ide port.

Mkreiserfs works fine, writes the journal to /dev/hda1, syncs and says
"OK"

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Doug

* RE: How to mount reiserfs with a relocated journal? -- Figured out
@ 2003-07-11  3:26 ` Doug Bazarnic
From: Doug Bazarnic @ 2003-07-11  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: reiserfs-list

I had forgotten to run lilo to actually USE the patched kernel.  Oops!
:)

Duh...

Any way, is there a down side to using a large journal?  8193 vs ~125000
block size?   Right now, I've allocated the entire 512 meg flash card
for the journal size.

Thanks for you help,

Doug

@ 2003-07-11  5:46   ` Oleg Drokin
From: Oleg Drokin @ 2003-07-11  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Bazarnic; +Cc: reiserfs-list

Hello!

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 08:26:19PM -0700, Doug Bazarnic wrote:

> Any way, is there a down side to using a large journal?  8193 vs ~125000
> block size?   Right now, I've allocated the entire 512 meg flash card
> for the journal size.

Well, if your flash card will die, you have possibly more data to loose.
Also keep in mind that journal header gets updated for every transaction
(in fact the should be batched so this should not be so hard hit, esp.
for large journals, but still).

Hm, I think for large journals you may also want to increase journal flushtime.
Unfortunatelly this is hardwired to be once in 5 seconds.
fs/reiserfs/journal.c and look for "interruptible_sleep_on_timeout(&reiserfs_commit_thread_wait, 5 * HZ) ;",
change 5 to whatever number of seconds you may want. May and will lead to increased memory consumption when
combined with large journals, though.

Bye,
    Oleg

* RE: How to mount reiserfs with a relocated journal? -- Figured out
@ 2003-07-11  5:57     ` Doug Bazarnic
From: Doug Bazarnic @ 2003-07-11  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Oleg Drokin'; +Cc: reiserfs-list

I've heard that using flash card memory (solid state devices) increases
performance -- roughly 20-30%.   With the slower write speeds of 4 - 6
MByte/sec,  I'm not sure if it would truly be faster.

I haven't time to test anything yet myself.

The flash card is supposed to have a life greater than 1 million writes
to it, so I don't know how well it will hold up in real life.  We're
just looking for more speed.   We tend to rotate our database servers
every 3 months or so, for something newer and faster.

If the flash card does die, can't we just do a tree rebuild?

Doug

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 08:26:19PM -0700, Doug Bazarnic wrote:

> Any way, is there a down side to using a large journal?  8193 vs
~125000
> block size?   Right now, I've allocated the entire 512 meg flash card
> for the journal size.

Well, if your flash card will die, you have possibly more data to loose.
Also keep in mind that journal header gets updated for every transaction
(in fact the should be batched so this should not be so hard hit, esp.
for large journals, but still).

Hm, I think for large journals you may also want to increase journal
flushtime.
Unfortunatelly this is hardwired to be once in 5 seconds.
fs/reiserfs/journal.c and look for
"interruptible_sleep_on_timeout(&reiserfs_commit_thread_wait, 5 * HZ)
;",

@ 2003-07-11  6:00       ` Oleg Drokin
From: Oleg Drokin @ 2003-07-11  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Bazarnic; +Cc: reiserfs-list

Hello!

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 10:57:32PM -0700, Doug Bazarnic wrote:

> I've heard that using flash card memory (solid state devices) increases
> performance -- roughly 20-30%.   With the slower write speeds of 4 - 6
> MByte/sec,  I'm not sure if it would truly be faster.

This is well believable. You save on seeks to journal.

> The flash card is supposed to have a life greater than 1 million writes
> to it, so I don't know how well it will hold up in real life.  We're
> just looking for more speed.   We tend to rotate our database servers
> every 3 months or so, for something newer and faster.

You can try battery backed RAM which is going to be even faster.

> If the flash card does die, can't we just do a tree rebuild?

Yes, you can. Only if it was holding some valuable transaction,
you may not get it.

Bye,
    Oleg

* Re: How to mount reiserfs with a relocated journal? -- Figured out
@ 2003-07-11  7:08       ` Russell Coker
From: Russell Coker @ 2003-07-11  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Bazarnic; +Cc: reiserfs-list

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:57, Doug Bazarnic wrote:
> I've heard that using flash card memory (solid state devices) increases
> performance -- roughly 20-30%.   With the slower write speeds of 4 - 6
> MByte/sec,  I'm not sure if it would truly be faster.

As Oleg mentions having 0 seek time will be a huge win for flash.  However if
you have a 15,000rpm disk doing nothing but journalling (so the journal is
only on the first few cylinders) the seek time will also be very low.

> The flash card is supposed to have a life greater than 1 million writes
> to it, so I don't know how well it will hold up in real life.  We're

Last time I looked into this I had some servers that were sustaining >1M/s of
disk writes 24*7.  If that is all journalled and there's a 256M journal then
each block would be written once every four minutes.  If the flash card would
last exactly 1M writes for each block (something I doubt) then it would last
4M minutes which is over 7 years.  You may want to sustain a higher load than
I did, but it still is quite likely that the flash will last the 3 months you
require.

However I believe that the the umem cards are a better choice.  They have a
sustained write speed of 240MB/s (much faster than flash) and because they
are battery backed RAM devices they support an unlimited number of writes.
The best thing is that they are specifically designed for tasks just like
this one.  See the following URL for details:
http://www.micromemory.com/

I am not associated with umem in any way, I just determined after extensive
research that they were the best option for one of my clients.  My client
then decided to just purchase more hard drives instead (at much greater
expense).  :(

* Re: How to mount reiserfs with a relocated journal? -- Figured out
       [not found] <003701c3477d$33239580$6401a8c0@doug>
@ 2003-07-11  7:43 ` Russell Coker
From: Russell Coker @ 2003-07-11  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Bazarnic; +Cc: ReiserFS

I'm replying to the list because I believe that this will interest other
people and that it is not something you desired to keep secret.  Also if I
get something wrong then someone will correct me.  ;)

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:22, Doug Bazarnic wrote:
> Are you aware if these cards require drivers under linux?

There is a driver in the stock kernel.  Enable CONFIG_BLK_DEV_UMEM.

> I've just read the literature on the flash cards and they mtbf is
> 1,000,000 hours, not writes.

That sounds reasonably good, although it might be based on "typical usage
patterns"...

BTW  Did you know that disk life depends on altitude?  If you run a hard drive
at the top of a mountain or below sea level then that may dramatically
decrease it's life.  Due to manufacturing issues some drives in a series will
work better in mountains than others, manufacturers are capable of supplying
such drives if they feel inclined.  If you get a drive that due to
manufacturing issues will work best below sea level and run it on a mountain
you won't expect it to last the MTBF time.

Unless you are doing exactly what the manufacturer thinks a "typical" user
will do then don't count on getting a MTBF.

> Do you know if having a larger journal slows things down, or speeds
> things up?

If there is no seek time (as is the case with Flash and umem cards) then there
is no penalty to making it larger AFAIK.  Whether there is any benefit is
another issue.

For my client I designed a system with a 1G umem card which would be used for
32M journals for two important file systems and the other 960M was to be used
for a partition mounted under /var/spool for performance critical data that
was to be written synchronously.  I judged that 960M of virtually instant
storage (that did not affect the speed of the other partitions in the RAID
device in any way) would be of much greater benefit than larger journals.

If you are using a database that has it's own journalling system then maybe
you could have the database journal on the umem device, which may give better
performance gains than anything you could do at the FS level.