* Re: Performance difference between two raid0 arrays on same drives?
@ 2003-07-12 13:37 Michel Bellais
From: Michel Bellais @ 2003-07-12 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

You're right, I thought about it too, but the fastest array is built with
partitions closer to the centre of the disk, so it should be the slowest
indeed.
The disks are big (180 Gb), the partitions represent less than 10% of it and
follow each others.  It cannot explain 30% difference in performance.

I have created a third array on the disk, which is a copy of the slowest
array. It has the same content. This last array shows much better performance
than the original. And it is even closer to the centre...
So i really don't understand.
I intended to use raid0 to boost my pc at home, so it is not a crucial
problem, i will use the late array i created.

Thank you for your answer!

Michel Bellais

@ 2003-07-12 15:20 ` Gordon Henderson
From: Gordon Henderson @ 2003-07-12 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michel Bellais; +Cc: linux-raid

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003, Michel Bellais wrote:

> You're right, I thought about it too, but the fastest array is built with
> partitions closer to the centre of the disk, so it should be the slowest
> indeed.
> The disks are big (180 Gb), the partitions represent less than 10% of it and
> follow each others.  It cannot explain 30% difference in performance.
>
> I have created a third array on the disk, which is a copy of the slowest
> array. It has the same content. This last array shows much better performance
> than the original. And it is even closer to the centre...
> So i really don't understand.

Just a thought: What if modern disk manufacturers write from the inside
out, rather than traditionally from the outside in?

CD's are read from the inside out so we can have different size discs.

Or maybe the hard disk manufacturers cottoned on to the fact that most
people would benchmark freshly partitioned disks hoping the file would be
at the "start" so they make it on the inside and get a better benchmark?

Who knows! And I guess without taking one to bits to watch it work it's
going to be hard to find out...

Gordon

* Re: Performance difference between two raid0 arrays on same drives?
@ 2003-07-12 15:49 ` Mads Peter Bach
From: Mads Peter Bach @ 2003-07-12 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Michel Bellais wrote:

> You're right, I thought about it too, but the fastest array is built with
> partitions closer to the centre of the disk, so it should be the slowest
> indeed.
> The disks are big (180 Gb), the partitions represent less than 10% of it and
> follow each others.  It cannot explain 30% difference in performance.

You can test the performance across your drives with the program zcav
(which should come with bonnie++ - if not, take a look at
http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/)

--
Mads Peter Bach
Systemadministrator,  Det Humanistiske Fakultet, Aalborg Universitet

-

* Re: Performance difference between two raid0 arrays on same drives?
@ 2003-07-12 16:06   ` Michel Bellais
From: Michel Bellais @ 2003-07-12 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gordon Henderson; +Cc: linux-raid

it sounds tricky to me!
But if some manufacturer inverts the partition order, that would be good for
linux: usually windows is installed first and takes the best place on the
drive, the penguin coming second.

@ 2003-07-12 18:59   ` Michel Bellais
From: Michel Bellais @ 2003-07-12 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

I have done it with zcat!
The transfer rate decreases steadily from the beginning of the disk to the
end. It doesn't look linear, but more like a square root..
The loss is about 50% at the end of the disk compared to the beginning.

The test shows that the decrease in performance is negligible in the first 10%
of the disk, where the raid arrrays are.
So i have really no clue about this performance loss.

Thanks for the tip! It was interesting to test this drive.
Michel Bellais

> You can test the performance across your drives with the program zcav
> (which should come with bonnie++ - if not, take a look at
> http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/)
>
>--
>Mads Peter Bach
>Systemadministrator,  Det Humanistiske Fakultet, Aalborg Universitet
>Kroghstræde 3 - 5.111, DK-9220 Aalborg Øst - (+45) 96358062
># whois MPB1-DK@whois.dk-hostmaster.dk

-

* A simple question
@ 2003-07-16 18:11   ` Donghui Wen
From: Donghui Wen @ 2003-07-16 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hi,
   I have a simple question:
    Can software raid survive one disk hot unplug when the raid is under
heavy load?

    During my test (3ware 7500-8 jbod mode, software raid 5), I ran bonnie++
on the
top of md and then unplugged one disk. I saw a lot of scsi disk errors from
dmesg, and then
scsi layer marked this disk offline. Finnally md detected disk failure and
mark this disk
as faulty. But bonnie++ still hangs there with state 'D' which could not be
killed by -9.

Thanks!

Donghui Wen

* Re: Performance difference between two raid0 arrays on same drives?
@ 2003-07-12  4:36 ` Gregory Leblanc
From: Gregory Leblanc @ 2003-07-12  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

@ 2003-07-11 16:13 Michel
From: Michel @ 2003-07-11 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hi!

I have set two raid0 arrays on two hardrives, using 2x2 partitions. I did a
benchmark of the resulting arrays and one is much slower than the other one.
I used bonnie++ and hdparm for the tests. It showed that /dev/md0 is 30%
slower than /dev/md1.
/dev/md1 is really close to twice the performance of a single drive.
I set the arrays with the same parameters. md0 is built from 2x 5 Gb while md1
is built from 2x2 Gb. The harddrives have the same partition table. md0 is
the closest to the begining of the drives.
The filessystem is Reiserfs on both arrays.
Everything works well, except i am curious about such a difference in
performances, since the arrays share the same hardware.
I am new to linux raid, i do not know if this is normal or weird.
Thanks for any help!

/etc/raidtab:
raiddev /dev/md0
	raid-level 0