* Russell Coker is recognized for his contributions to the SELinux project
@ 2003-07-11  0:49 James Griffin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: James Griffin @ 2003-07-11  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SELinux; +Cc: Russell Coker, Howard Holm

In recognition for his selfless contributions to the SELinux program,
Mr. Russell Coker has been selected by board of the James and Charlotte
Griffin Foundation to receive an unrestricted grant of US$1,000.00.

This grant is awarded to Mr. Coker on the basis of his significant
contributions to the advancement of the National Security Agency's
research program known as "Security Enhanced Linux" (SELinux).  The
extent and nature of Mr. Coker's voluntary contributions are exceptional
for their scope, duration, and especially their quality.  Specifically
Mr. Coker has provided: 1) numerous patches to both the base code and to
the policy configurations, 2) an additional distribution, i.e., Debian
based SELinux, 3) material, extensive, and ongoing participation in the
SELinux mailing list (25% of all messages), and 4) providing additional
educational support to others with his presentations and his publicly
available SELinux testbed.  Mr. Coker has shared freely of his
knowledge, talent, and time for the public good.

The Foundation also wishes to acknowledge the contributions of the
National Security Agency (NSA), its employees and contractors, and the
other active participants.  Additionally, NSA is to be commended for
their efforts in transferring the results of the SELinux research into
the "commons" of public knowledge and for preserving and protecting this
transfer through the adoption of the GNU General Public License for SELinux.

James A Griffin
Chairman
James and Charlotte Griffin Foundation

*Linux is a Registered Trade Mark of Linus Torvalds

* Re: Russell Coker is recognized for his contributions to the SELinux project
@ 2003-07-11  4:24 ` Jason Anderssen
From: Jason Anderssen @ 2003-07-11  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Griffin, SELinux; +Cc: Russell Coker, Howard Holm

To all on the list, I am new to selinux, and use the mailing list as a
resource to understand selinux.  I have successfully set it up and practise
using it, and use the list to improve my knowledge.

I have to give a huge congratulations to Russell, as watching and learning
selinux, would not of been as easy with out his input into the list, and
also his selinux box on the web/website dedicated to the growth of selinux.

Since I have been a quiet member of the list, and also not for a long time
either, I felt that I have to say a thankyou.

Keep up the good work.

Jason
Vasco Data Security
Australian Office.

@ 2003-07-11  6:58 ` Bill Laut
From: Bill Laut @ 2003-07-11  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Coker; +Cc: Howard Holm, SELinux

As a relative newcomer to SELinux, I, too, would like to congratulate Russell
on his being recognized with this award.  As a consultant with 23 years
experience, I've seen my share of "varporware," hyped by equally vapid
snake-oil peddlers.  Products whose engineering really stand out well are so
far and few between that they become a veritable oasis in a desert of
mediocrity.

SELinux is one such oasis.  After the OpenVMS operating system went into
decline (after DEC self-destructed), what succeeded it in the marketplace was
naked purgatory:  Windows.  No security whatsoever.  At least Linux made the
attempt by segregating superuser vs. normal user, along with distinguishing
one user from another.  But it still was no comparison to VMS with its
concept of a "privilege mask" and Access Control Lists.  And always was the
fear that somehow a daemon might be compromised and an attacker would gain
root access to the system.

Enter SELinux:   -Professional grade- security returns to a mainstream OS,  to
where we can now uniquely tailor access to system resources for each
individual application and/or server on the system like a glove fitting a
hand, making setSUID and its vulnerabilities history.

With little exaggeration, after the wasteland of Microsoft offerings (and Unix
not much better), my reaction to SELinux was to break out singing, "Sweet
Mystery of Life, at Last I've Found You."  Someone finally *got it right*
about system security.  This goes far beyond what DEC achieved with OpenVMS.

To Russell, my hearty congratulations for being recognized on your
contributions.

To the NSA and all the contributors combined, thank you for pushing Linux into
becoming the best damned OS available, and especially for releasing the
source code under the GNU General Public License.  In creating the tools to
make the computing world safe from attack, the service you have rendered is
incalculable, and all of you deserve to take a bow.

You have a clear and unmistakable winner in SELinux.  It's time is about to
come.

Kindest regards,

Bill Laut

@ 2003-07-14 12:14 ` Russell Coker
From: Russell Coker @ 2003-07-14 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Griffin, SELinux

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:49, James Griffin wrote:
> In recognition for his selfless contributions to the SELinux program,
> Mr. Russell Coker has been selected by board of the James and Charlotte
> Griffin Foundation to receive an unrestricted grant of US$1,000.00.

James, thanks for this grant.  I appreciate the recognition for my work.

Also I would like to thank all the people who sent me private email over the
last few days expressing similar sentiments, I am glad that so many people
like what I am doing.

Finally I would like to note that one of the positive aspects of this work is
that there are so many smart people who are interested in it.  Through my
involvement in this project I have conversed with many intelligent and
knowledgable people (both those who are listed as contributors or are known
from the list, and those who just read the list and don't post) and learned a
lot.

I encourage people who have some time to spare for open source work to join in
the SE Linux project.  There are plenty of opportunities to contribute
productively and learn from experts along the way.

Russell Coker