* Dosemu 1.1.5 Binaries?
@ 2003-07-13 21:23 Peter Celella
From: Peter Celella @ 2003-07-13 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dosemu Mail List

Is there any reason not to produce binaries for the "unstable" releases
of dosemu - specifically dosemu-1.1.5? I'm presently using the 1.0.2
binary under Redhat 9 and it seems to work fine. I'd love to upgrade,
but whenever I try to run the latest versions after compiling, they
always bomb out whenever I try to run a dos program. The same happens
when I try any rpm's for the later versions. (I keep getting some error
about IPC not being compiled in kernel)

I was hoping if I tried a binary (if it existed) for 1.1.5, there would
be some hope of it working. Is this possible? And might there be
binaries of the latest versions of Dosemu coming out in the foreseeable
future?

Thanks

* Re: Dosemu 1.1.5 Binaries?
@ 2003-07-13 21:35 ` Justin Zygmont
From: Justin Zygmont @ 2003-07-13 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Celella; +Cc: Dosemu Mail List

I use 1.1.5 with rh9 and it works and compiles ok.  How does it fail?

On 13 Jul 2003, Peter Celella wrote:

> Is there any reason not to produce binaries for the "unstable" releases
> of dosemu - specifically dosemu-1.1.5? I'm presently using the 1.0.2
> binary under Redhat 9 and it seems to work fine. I'd love to upgrade,
> but whenever I try to run the latest versions after compiling, they
> always bomb out whenever I try to run a dos program. The same happens
> when I try any rpm's for the later versions. (I keep getting some error
> about IPC not being compiled in kernel)
>
> I was hoping if I tried a binary (if it existed) for 1.1.5, there would
> be some hope of it working. Is this possible? And might there be
> binaries of the latest versions of Dosemu coming out in the foreseeable
> future?
>
> Thanks
>

> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-msdos" in

* Re: Dosemu 1.1.5 Binaries?
@ 2003-07-13 22:39   ` Peter Celella
From: Peter Celella @ 2003-07-13 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Zygmont; +Cc: Dosemu Mail List

> I use 1.1.5 with rh9 and it works and compiles ok.  How does it fail?

If I compile with linkstatic off and x on in compiletime-settings, I can
get dosemu both to compile and install. Unfortunately, when I try to run
any dos program, dosemu immediately closes and I get the following error
message in the terminal:

ERROR: MAPPING: cannot get IPC shared mem (Invalid argument)

This may have the following reasons:
- you do not have IPC configured into the kernel
- the limits are to low for the amount of memory you requested
  in /etc/dosemu.conf. In this case either decrease the XMS/EMS/DPMI
  amount in /etc/dosemu.conf or increase the kernel limits such as
  'echo 67108864 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax'

If I compile with linkstatic on and x off, dosemu also compiles and
installs, but of course I have no x support. I can run dos programs in
this case in the terminal, but besides not being the recommended way to
run dosemu, I don't have any mouse support.

Any ideas?

* Re: Dosemu 1.1.5 Binaries?
@ 2003-07-13 22:47     ` Justin Zygmont
From: Justin Zygmont @ 2003-07-13 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Celella; +Cc: Dosemu Mail List

I have xdosemu working, I never changed linkstatic.  I did try using this
option before, and i'm not sure if xdosemu worked with it since I never
tested it, but using this setting didn't seem to make any noticable
difference in performance or anything else.

On 13 Jul 2003, Peter Celella wrote:

> > I use 1.1.5 with rh9 and it works and compiles ok.  How does it fail?
> >

> If I compile with linkstatic off and x on in compiletime-settings, I can
> get dosemu both to compile and install. Unfortunately, when I try to run
> any dos program, dosemu immediately closes and I get the following error
> message in the terminal:
>
> ERROR: MAPPING: cannot get IPC shared mem (Invalid argument)
>
> This may have the following reasons:
> - you do not have IPC configured into the kernel
> - the limits are to low for the amount of memory you requested
>   in /etc/dosemu.conf. In this case either decrease the XMS/EMS/DPMI
>   amount in /etc/dosemu.conf or increase the kernel limits such as
>   'echo 67108864 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax'
>
> If I compile with linkstatic on and x off, dosemu also compiles and
> installs, but of course I have no x support. I can run dos programs in
> this case in the terminal, but besides not being the recommended way to
> run dosemu, I don't have any mouse support.
>
> Any ideas?

* Re: Dosemu 1.1.5 Binaries?
@ 2003-07-13 22:53       ` Peter Celella
From: Peter Celella @ 2003-07-13 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Zygmont; +Cc: Dosemu Mail List

I did try to compile with the standard compiletime-settings (this has
linkstatic off and x on). I assume that this is also what you did,
correct? If so, you just untarred the dosemu distribution, ran 'make',
and then as su, ran 'make install' - right? This is also what I have
done, also using Redhat 9. But doing the above, this is when I get that
IPC error describe below - also, when the dosemu window closes,
'Segmentation fault' is then printed to the terminal screen.

I take it that you didn't have these same problems and are also running
Redhat 9. If so, is there anything different you have installed that
gives you the good luck that you are having? Or are there any other
ideas you might have?

On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 18:47, Justin Zygmont wrote:
> I have xdosemu working, I never changed linkstatic.  I did try using this
> option before, and i'm not sure if xdosemu worked with it since I never
> tested it, but using this setting didn't seem to make any noticable
> difference in performance or anything else.
>

> On 13 Jul 2003, Peter Celella wrote:
>

> > > I use 1.1.5 with rh9 and it works and compiles ok.  How does it fail?
> > >

> > If I compile with linkstatic off and x on in compiletime-settings, I can
> > get dosemu both to compile and install. Unfortunately, when I try to run
> > any dos program, dosemu immediately closes and I get the following error
> > message in the terminal:
> >
> > ERROR: MAPPING: cannot get IPC shared mem (Invalid argument)
> >
> > This may have the following reasons:
> > - you do not have IPC configured into the kernel
> > - the limits are to low for the amount of memory you requested
> >   in /etc/dosemu.conf. In this case either decrease the XMS/EMS/DPMI
> >   amount in /etc/dosemu.conf or increase the kernel limits such as
> >   'echo 67108864 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax'
> >
> > If I compile with linkstatic on and x off, dosemu also compiles and
> > installs, but of course I have no x support. I can run dos programs in
> > this case in the terminal, but besides not being the recommended way to
> > run dosemu, I don't have any mouse support.
> >
> > Any ideas?

* Re: Dosemu 1.1.5 Binaries?
@ 2003-07-13 23:00       ` Justin Zygmont
From: Justin Zygmont @ 2003-07-13 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Celella; +Cc: Dosemu Mail List

you are correct.  I never had any of those problems and I have built 1.1.5
on serveral different installs.  I don;t know what the problem can be.
I've already got the binary tarred, so I guess I could try sending that if
you really need.

@ 2003-07-13 23:32         ` Peter Celella
From: Peter Celella @ 2003-07-13 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Zygmont; +Cc: Dosemu Mail List

I'd love to know what the problem is also. Could it be hardware related?
I'm using a Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop. It's handled everything else fine
with Linux so far?

Another thing - I have a directory in my home directory named 'mydos'
where I've put freedos. I also have the binary for dosemu 1.0.2 here, so
even though 1.1.5 isn't working, I can still cd to this directory and
start xdosemu by typing ./xdosemu. I have been pointing 1.1.5 in
/etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf to this directory for the hard disk image. It
sees everything in this freedos fine, but it has the problem running the
programs that I described. Could this be somehow related to the problem
running 1.1.5?

I'd love to get this straightened out so that I can apply any future
updates to dosemu, but I'd love to get a copy of that Redhat 9
dosemu-1.1.5 binary, if you don't mind sharing it. How do I use it? Just
unpack it to the same directory I'm using now for 1.0.2, I would guess,
right? Anyway, I'd appreciate if you could send it along to:

pcelella@ix.netcom.com

Thanks

On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 19:00, Justin Zygmont wrote:
> you are correct.  I never had any of those problems and I have built 1.1.5
> on serveral different installs.  I don;t know what the problem can be.
> I've already got the binary tarred, so I guess I could try sending that if
> you really need.

* Re: Dosemu 1.1.5 Binaries?
@ 2003-07-14  6:17     ` Ged Haywood
From: Ged Haywood @ 2003-07-14  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Celella; +Cc: Dosemu Mail List

Hi there,

On 13 Jul 2003, Peter Celella wrote:

> when I try to run any dos program, dosemu immediately closes and I
> get the following error message in the terminal:
>
> ERROR: MAPPING: cannot get IPC shared mem (Invalid argument)
>
> This may have the following reasons:
> - you do not have IPC configured into the kernel
> - the limits are to low for the amount of memory you requested
>   in /etc/dosemu.conf. In this case either decrease the XMS/EMS/DPMI
>   amount in /etc/dosemu.conf or increase the kernel limits such as
>   'echo 67108864 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax'
[snip]
> Any ideas?

Well there are a couple in the error message...

Have you checked that you have IPC configured in the kernel?  Have you
checked that it is in fact /etc/dosemu.conf which is being used (error
messages are not always trustworthy in my experience:), and that the
amount of memory requested in there is reasonable?  Have you checked
the amount of memory available?

73,
Ged.

* Re: Dosemu 1.1.5 Binaries?
@ 2003-07-14  6:26           ` Ged Haywood
From: Ged Haywood @ 2003-07-14  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Celella; +Cc: Dosemu Mail List

Hello again,

On 13 Jul 2003, Peter Celella wrote:

> Another thing - I have a directory in my home directory named 'mydos'
> where I've put freedos. I also have the binary for dosemu 1.0.2 here, so
> even though 1.1.5 isn't working, I can still cd to this directory and
> start xdosemu by typing ./xdosemu. I have been pointing 1.1.5 in
> /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf to this directory for the hard disk image. It
> sees everything in this freedos fine, but it has the problem running the
> programs that I described. Could this be somehow related to the problem
> running 1.1.5?

It might be that the two dosemu installations have interfered with
each other.  The trouble is that some things have changed and some
haven't so it's difficult to know where the problem might be.  If I
were doing it, I'd delete the lot (including all the dosemu-related
and freedos-related files that start with a dot like .dosemurc and
~/.dosemu and the same in places like /etc (and strange places like
/usr/share if you have them)), and start over from scratch.

Incidentally I never had much luck with FreeDos, I gave up with it and
used MSDOS which has never given me any real trouble.

73,
Ged.

* Re: Dosemu 1.1.5 Binaries?
@ 2003-07-14 10:18       ` Peter Celella
                           ` (3 more replies)
From: Peter Celella @ 2003-07-14 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ged Haywood; +Cc: Dosemu Mail List

The IPC in the kernel thing is what has me confused. I've searched
everywhere and can't find anything telling me what this is or how to
check it. Do you know how to check if IPC is configured in the kernel?
And if not, how to go about doing so?

/etc/dosemu.conf should be what's being used, since when I make changes
there, there acted upon.

The memory shouldn't be a problem - I use the same amount when running
the binary.

When I get some time, I may just clean everything out as you suggest and
start all over again.

Thanks

> Have you checked that you have IPC configured in the kernel?  Have you
> checked that it is in fact /etc/dosemu.conf which is being used (error
> messages are not always trustworthy in my experience:), and that the
> amount of memory requested in there is reasonable?  Have you checked
> the amount of memory available?
>
> 73,
> Ged.

* Re: Dosemu 1.1.5 Binaries?
@ 2003-07-14 13:24         ` Ged Haywood
                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ged Haywood @ 2003-07-14 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Celella; +Cc: Dosemu Mail List

Hi there,

On 14 Jul 2003, Peter Celella wrote:

> The IPC in the kernel thing is what has me confused. I've searched
> everywhere and can't find anything telling me what this is or how to
> check it. Do you know how to check if IPC is configured in the kernel?

It should be in the .config file which was used to compile your kernel.

The basics for compiling a kernel (and many other bits of software) are:

1. You run a script or somehow produce a file called ".config" which
2. Is used by "make" when you compile the kernel.

The script is often called "Configure" or something like that.

The .config contains truckloads of information about your machine (it
might be a PC, and Alpha, a Vax...)  You can move a .config from one
machine to another if they are exactly the same, but that's tricky.
You can use a .config for one machine on a different machine if you
edit it or somehow make it suitable.  But best to make one each time,
there's less room for error and it's easy, there's a script.  I always
use "make menuconfig" for Linux.  For goodness' sake don't use the old
"make config", it's terrible.

From something a friend said about a wireless network we were working
on, I seem to remember that for V9, RedHatt bowled us a googly in that
the .config you get isn't what they used to compile the kernel you're
using when you boot.  You may need to find out more about that, I don't
have a RedHat system here at home and my office is 1,000 miles away. :)

HTH

73,
Ged.

* Re: Dosemu 1.1.5 Binaries?
@ 2003-07-14 16:50         ` Eemeli Kantola
From: Eemeli Kantola @ 2003-07-14 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-msdos

Peter Celella wrote:
> The IPC in the kernel thing is what has me confused. I've searched
> everywhere and can't find anything telling me what this is or how to
> check it. Do you know how to check if IPC is configured in the kernel?
> And if not, how to go about doing so?

I found this directory /proc/sysvipc on my machine. Not actually knowing
anything, I would guess that this is somehow related to the presence of
that IPC thing. Do you have a directory with that name?

> ERROR: MAPPING: cannot get IPC shared mem (Invalid argument)
>
> This may have the following reasons:
> - you do not have IPC configured into the kernel
> - the limits are to low for the amount of memory you requested
>   in /etc/dosemu.conf. In this case either decrease the XMS/EMS/DPMI
>   amount in /etc/dosemu.conf or increase the kernel limits such as
>   'echo 67108864 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax'

Did you take a look at /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax? For example, I get:

$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
33554432

meaning 32 Mb shared memory. So, I need to have the total sum of $_xms,
$_ems and $_dpmi to be less or equal to 32768 (kb) to fit in the shared
memory, or I can do 'echo 67108864 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax' to get more
shm (64 Mb, in that case) for dosemu.

* Re: Dosemu 1.1.5 Binaries?
@ 2003-07-14 18:01         ` Bart Oldeman
From: Bart Oldeman @ 2003-07-14 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Celella; +Cc: Dosemu Mail List

On 14 Jul 2003, Peter Celella wrote:

> The IPC in the kernel thing is what has me confused. I've searched
> everywhere and can't find anything telling me what this is or how to
> check it. Do you know how to check if IPC is configured in the kernel?
> And if not, how to go about doing so?

if the DOSEMU 1.0.2 binaries work then IPC is there; you're only
difference is in the libc used (glibc 2.3 vs. libc5 and maybe dosemu.conf
settings. If you run xdosemu then DOSEMU uses more IPC than without X (VGA
memory).

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5
sometimes seems to do wonders on RH 9.

Also check if you're low on disk space in /tmp or $TMPDIR -- if there is
not enough "shmmax" memory for "mapshm" then DOSEMU creates a large file for
"mapfile".

as to failed static linking you'd have to look at config.log, at the lines
following XCloseDisplay.

Bart

* Re: Dosemu 1.1.5 Binaries?
                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-07-15 22:44         ` kontrare
From: kontrare @ 2003-07-15 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Celella, Ged Haywood; +Cc: Dosemu Mail List

On Monday 14 July 2003 10:18, Peter Celella wrote:
> The IPC in the kernel thing is what has me confused. I've searched
> everywhere and can't find anything telling me what this is or how to
> check it. Do you know how to check if IPC is configured in the kernel?
> And if not, how to go about doing so?
>
> /etc/dosemu.conf should be what's being used, since when I make changes
> there, there acted upon.
>
> The memory shouldn't be a problem - I use the same amount when running
> the binary.
>
> When I get some time, I may just clean everything out as you suggest and
> start all over again.
>
> Thanks

use ipcs
this will show ipc info (man ipcs)