* Hang Problem - Linux Server, HP-UX Client
@ 2003-07-16 12:01 Steve Fosdick
From: Steve Fosdick @ 2003-07-16 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nfs

We have a puzzling problem with NFS hanging while using Linux as the
server and HP-UX as the client.  This happens restoring files from
backup tape which are being written to the NFS filesystem.  Initially
files are being written OK but after a while the writing stops and the
HP-UX client reports "NFS server <hostname> not responding".  At this
point both client and server continue to work normally in every other
respect and IP network connectivity between them is still working so
the problem seems specific to NFS.

Initially it looked like the problem occured after aprox. 4Gb of data
had been written to the NFS filesystem, but since then it seems to have
happened after rather less data had been copied.  The problem occurs
with both the kernel-based NFS server and the user mode NFS server and
using either NFS V2 or NFS V3 and both before and after the
installation of the latest NFS patch on the HP-UX client.

The versions I currently have running where we still have the problem
are Linux 2.4.21 with no additional NFS patches (server) and HP-UX
10.20 with PHNE_25234 (client).

Does anyone hear have any idea what may be going on here, or useful
tips as to how I could gather debug information that would help get to
the bottom of this please?

Steve.