* Patches for replacing obsolete GCC initializers
@ 2003-07-16 18:57 Art Haas
From: Art Haas @ 2003-07-16 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi.

I have a large set of patches removing the obsolete GCC structure
initializers and replacing them with C99 initializers. The total patch
set is around 70K and affects 34 files. Would it be acceptable to post
the patch in compressed form to the list, or would posting the patches
in say two or three sets be better?

Art Haas

-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822

* Re: Patches for replacing obsolete GCC initializers
@ 2003-07-17  8:55 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2003-07-17  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Art Haas; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:57:13 -0500,
Art Haas wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have a large set of patches removing the obsolete GCC structure
> initializers and replacing them with C99 initializers. The total patch
> set is around 70K and affects 34 files. Would it be acceptable to post
> the patch in compressed form to the list, or would posting the patches
> in say two or three sets be better?

i vote for the latter one.
the binary attachment might be rejected by the spam filter.

btw, i'm surprised that there are still so many files.  i thought most
of them have been already replaced.  is it really to the latest ALSA
0.9.5?

ciao,

Takashi

* Re: Patches for replacing obsolete GCC initializers
@ 2003-07-17 12:37   ` Art Haas
From: Art Haas @ 2003-07-17 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 10:55:20AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:57:13 -0500,
> Art Haas wrote:
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > I have a large set of patches removing the obsolete GCC structure
> > initializers and replacing them with C99 initializers. The total patch
> > set is around 70K and affects 34 files. Would it be acceptable to post
> > the patch in compressed form to the list, or would posting the patches
> > in say two or three sets be better?
>
> i vote for the latter one.
> the binary attachment might be rejected by the spam filter.

I'll split up the patches into a number of files and mail them today.

> btw, i'm surprised that there are still so many files.  i thought most
> of them have been already replaced.  is it really to the latest ALSA
> 0.9.5?

Yes - CVS from a day or two ago. There are lots of files in
alsa-lib/src/pcm that use the old GCC syntax.

I'd sent a set of patches before, but I think the moderator Dave Null
(ha-ha-ha!) must have rejected them. I was not subscribed to the list at
the time.

@ 2003-07-17 12:44     ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2003-07-17 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Art Haas; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Thu, 17 Jul 2003 07:37:31 -0500,
Art Haas wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 10:55:20AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:57:13 -0500,
> > Art Haas wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > I have a large set of patches removing the obsolete GCC structure
> > > initializers and replacing them with C99 initializers. The total patch
> > > set is around 70K and affects 34 files. Would it be acceptable to post
> > > the patch in compressed form to the list, or would posting the patches
> > > in say two or three sets be better?
> >
> > i vote for the latter one.
> > the binary attachment might be rejected by the spam filter.
> >

> I'll split up the patches into a number of files and mail them today.

thanks.

> > btw, i'm surprised that there are still so many files.  i thought most
> > of them have been already replaced.  is it really to the latest ALSA
> > 0.9.5?
>
> Yes - CVS from a day or two ago. There are lots of files in
> alsa-lib/src/pcm that use the old GCC syntax.

oh yeah, in alsa-lib and utils & co.  i forgot them :)

> I'd sent a set of patches before, but I think the moderator Dave Null
> (ha-ha-ha!) must have rejected them. I was not subscribed to the list at
> the time.

i think this "moderated" message confuses the people in most cases.
(it's funny though :)

Takashi