* startx
@ 2003-07-16 18:09 Anna G. Zapata
From: Anna G. Zapata @ 2003-07-16 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-Newbie

Hi all,

I have startx configured to startup when I boot the machine, however, it
doesn't work.  I still have to type startx at the command line.  Any ideas
as to what's going on here?

Anna G. Zapata - GSEC, MCIS
University of Denver
University Technology Services - Network Security
(303) 871-2009 (phone)
(303) 871-4135 (fax)
azapata@du.edu (email)

-

* Re: startx
@ 2003-07-16 18:29 ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2003-07-16 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

At 12:09 PM 7/16/2003 -0600, Anna G. Zapata wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I have startx configured to startup when I boot the machine, however, it
>doesn't work.  I still have to type startx at the command line.  Any ideas
>as to what's going on here?

"it doesn't work" is not a problem description. Try again, and this time
tell us:

1. What Linux distro and version you are using.

2. What you actually did that you summarize here as "I have startx
configured to startup when I boot the machine". For example, are you
running "startx" from an init script? If so, what script, and how is it
symlinked to the default runlevel?

3. What errors (if any) does startx (or the init script or whatever you do)
report? Where this might be depends on how you are doing it. Maybe in a log
file. Maybe in an e-mail to root. Maybe someplace else.

4. What userid do you intend X to be running as? How do you make it do that?

All that said ... the *usual* way to boot directly into X is not with
startx, but with a display manager like xdm or gdm. Do you have some reason
for not doing it that way?

-

* Re: startx
@ 2003-07-16 19:00 ` pa3gcu
From: pa3gcu @ 2003-07-16 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anna G. Zapata, Linux-Newbie

On Wednesday 16 July 2003 20:09, Anna G. Zapata wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have startx configured to startup when I boot the machine, however, it
> doesn't work.  I still have to type startx at the command line.  Any ideas
> as to what's going on here?

You make no mention of what distro you use and further more who are you,? root
a normal user.??
Anyway most distros have a file called inittab and its found in /etc edit the
line which looks like;

id:3:initdefault:
To which ever runlevel is defined as X11 with KDM/GDM/XDM (session managers)
that should be found (or something like it at the top of inittab.

type init X (as root) after inittab has been changed to start X.

X = the runlevel nember of your distro for X.

If that sounds and looks strange to you, then you know how your question
looked to me and others here on the list, please give more info to get a
decent answer.

--
If the Linux community is a bunch of theives because they
try to imitate windows programs, then the Windows community

Regards Richard
pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/

-

* Re: startx
@ 2008-01-03 15:38 ` Christopher J. PeBenito
From: Christopher J. PeBenito @ 2008-01-03 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Justin Mattock; +Cc: selinux

On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 13:49 -0800, Justin Mattock wrote:
> Hello Im a bit confused with starting the xserver with startx; the
> system starts fine with everything set to permissive, but as soon as
> changing to enforce mode
> startx reacts extremly slow; with a blank screen and a curser at the
> top left of the screen.  Do I need to set xdm_systadm_login to 1 or do
> I need to just be patient while  the xserver starts then  add the
> avc's to local.te

Are you using strict?  If so, the X server policy isn't well tested, so
it likely needs additional rules.  Based on your description, it sounds
like its being denied something and patience likely won't help.  You'll
have to handle the denials in permissive.  The above boolean only
controls if sysadm can log in via xdm.

--
Chris PeBenito
Tresys Technology, LLC