* acpi4asus CVS updated
@ 2003-07-16 21:09 Karol Kozimor
       [not found] ` <20030716210914.GB17981-DETuoxkZsSqrDJvtcaxF/A@public.gmane.org>
From: Karol Kozimor @ 2003-07-16 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hi,
I've just added support for ASUS M3700N and S1300N laptops. This includes
display switching code, which *should* work, but the same what was with
L3800C applies to those also: once the module is loaded, Fn+F8 cedes
working. This is a feature of the DSDT, not a bug in the driver, the only
way to switch displays would then be to echo an appropriate value into
/proc/acpi/asus/disp.

The CVS is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/acpi4asus, but since the
CVS-view doesn't currently relfect the current status of repository, I've
made a patch to bring the kernel sources up to date (be careful, -p3 may be
needed when patching), grab it at
http:/hell.org.pl/~sziwan/asus/asus_core.c-1.51-to-1.55.diff

Please test it ASAP.
Best regards,

--
Karol 'sziwan' Kozimor
sziwan-DETuoxkZsSqrDJvtcaxF/A@public.gmane.org

* Re: acpi4asus CVS updated
       [not found] ` <20030716210914.GB17981-DETuoxkZsSqrDJvtcaxF/A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-07-17 10:09   ` Nils Faerber
       [not found]     ` <1058436553.7682.39.camel-65LrUGLyukAb1SvskN2V4Q@public.gmane.org>
From: Nils Faerber @ 2003-07-17 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karol Kozimor; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Am Mit, 2003-07-16 um 23.09 schrieb Karol Kozimor:
> Hi,
Hi!

> I've just added support for ASUS M3700N and S1300N laptops. This includes
> display switching code, which *should* work, but the same what was with
> L3800C applies to those also: once the module is loaded, Fn+F8 cedes
> working. This is a feature of the DSDT, not a bug in the driver, the only
> way to switch displays would then be to echo an appropriate value into
> /proc/acpi/asus/disp.

Hiw is disp coded, i.e. which value activates/deactivates which "head"?
I suspect that it is binary and that bit-0 is the LCD, correct?
What are the others?
Which is the highest bit?

I ask because it should be quite easy to fix the hotkey problem by
simply adding a acpid script for it, simply counting up and flipping
back to bit-0. The hotkey event seems to be ATKD 00000061.

> The CVS is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/acpi4asus, but since the
> CVS-view doesn't currently relfect the current status of repository, I've
> made a patch to bring the kernel sources up to date (be careful, -p3 may be
> needed when patching), grab it at
> http:/hell.org.pl/~sziwan/asus/asus_core.c-1.51-to-1.55.diff

Does not apply to the version in last ACPI patch (030619); but doesn't
matter since one can use the complete source from sf.net anyway.

Many many thanks to you and the others to make this working!

> Please test it ASAP.
> Best regards,
CU
  nils faerber

--
kernel concepts          Tel: +49-271-771091-12
Dreisbachstr. 24         Fax: +49-271-771091-19

* Re: acpi4asus CVS updated
       [not found]     ` <1058436553.7682.39.camel-65LrUGLyukAb1SvskN2V4Q@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-07-17 16:55       ` Karol Kozimor
From: Karol Kozimor @ 2003-07-17 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nils Faerber; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Thus wrote Nils Faerber:
> Hiw is disp coded, i.e. which value activates/deactivates which "head"?
> I suspect that it is binary and that bit-0 is the LCD, correct?
> What are the others?
> Which is the highest bit?

This in covered both in the README, and in the comments. Anyway, bit 0 is
LCD, 1 is CRT and 2 is TV-Out (the latter two may be swapped, I can't
remember that now, please consult either the README or the sources).

> I ask because it should be quite easy to fix the hotkey problem by
> simply adding a acpid script for it, simply counting up and flipping
> back to bit-0. The hotkey event seems to be ATKD 00000061.

Just pass the notification value NAND 0x60. The hotkey event is the desired
value OR'ed 0x60, FYI. The AML code does the necessary switching and
display detection, thus it only works when the other displays are actually
connected.

> Does not apply to the version in last ACPI patch (030619); but doesn't
> matter since one can use the complete source from sf.net anyway.

Just copying the asus_core.c onto asus_acpi.c should be enough. The patch
comes from cvs rdiff, and I didn't have time to test it. BTW: the M3N
prefix should really have the dot at the end, as Julien noted. The updated
patch on my site reflects this.

> Many many thanks to you and the others to make this working!

Actually, if you refer to the display switching, it has been working and
has been present in the code for at least a month or so. At least for L3C
and the like, for others, there are some problems that Julien tried to deal
with, unsuccessfully so far.
Best regards,