* [Bridge] ebtables?
@ 2003-07-23 19:42 David Barcelo
From: David Barcelo @ 2003-07-23 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bridge

What is the point of ebtables?  Why would I need it?

--
  ______

James David Barcelo
Network/Systems Administration

Data Junction Corporation
2201 Northland Drive
Austin, Tx 78756
tel: 512-459-1308 ext. 349
cel: 512-619-3998
fax: 512-459-1309
www.datajunction.com
* The contents and attachments in this email are confidential.

  ______

* Re: [Bridge] ebtables?
@ 2003-07-23 19:55 ` Jorge# ./S
From: Jorge# ./S @ 2003-07-23 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dbarcelo; +Cc: bridge

to filter frames in the protocol layer.

for example, for filtering IPX packets in an IP network.

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 14:42, David Barcelo wrote:
> What is the point of ebtables?  Why would I need it?
--
Jorge# ./S <jorge@kernel-panik.org>

* Re: [Bridge] ebtables?
@ 2003-07-23 21:36   ` George Georgalis
From: George Georgalis @ 2003-07-23 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bridge

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 02:55:15PM -0500, Jorge# ./S wrote:
>to filter frames in the protocol layer.
>
>for example, for filtering IPX packets in an IP network.
>
>On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 14:42, David Barcelo wrote:
>> What is the point of ebtables?  Why would I need it?

you may also want a firewall that has no ip address yet filters ip
packets through iptables ;-)

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 646-331-2027    <IXOYE><
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org

* Re: [Bridge] ebtables?
@ 2003-07-24  5:16 ` Nick Fedchik
From: Nick Fedchik @ 2003-07-24  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bridge

See to http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/

> Why would I need it?
Who know why?... ;)
To filter ethernet frames (on link Layer), but not only an ip packets
(on Network Layer) on Your Linux-powered bridge (because bridge is [mostly]
Layer 2 (Linkk Layer) device)

> Does it offer any features over iptables for just IP users?
See the iptables/ebtables interaction:
http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/br_fw_ia/br_fw_ia.html

> Does that mean (and I think it does) that without ebtables IPX traffic
would pass a bridge, such as the one this list is for, uninhibited?
http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/documentation.html#what

--
Best regards, Nick Fedchik
FNM3-RIPE(-UANIC) http://www.fedchik.org.ua