* Partition check issue (againandagain??)
@ 2003-07-25  8:31 Orm Finnendahl
From: Orm Finnendahl @ 2003-07-25  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I'm trying to run a new (self-compiled) 2.4.21 kernel on my Acer
Notebook with Ali15x3 Chipset, revision 195 (C3) and experience a
freeze upon bootup at the partition check.

Kernel version <= 2.4.18 works fine on my laptop (including dma), all
kernels > 2.4.18 lock up at boot.

The partition check line shows:

Partition check:
hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 <

before it freezes.

With the working 2.4.18 kernel the line shows:

Partition check:
hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 <hda5 hda6>

hda5 and hda6 are swap and the main partition
respectively, running a reiserfs.

I checked the mailing list and found some hints for 2.4.19 kernels,
but that bug doesn't seem to apply as my chipset revision is < C4,
apart from that it seems to be fixed in /drivers/ide/pci/alim15x3.c

Any ideas?

Please cc the mail to me. I tried to subscribe to the list an hour ago
but didn't get any reply yet.

Thanx,
Orm

* Re: Partition check issue (againandagain??)
@ 2003-07-25 15:31 ` Andries Brouwer
From: Andries Brouwer @ 2003-07-25 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Orm Finnendahl; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 10:31:52AM +0200, Orm Finnendahl wrote:

> Notebook with Ali15x3 Chipset, revision 195 (C3) and experience a
> freeze upon bootup at the partition check.
>
> Kernel version <= 2.4.18 works fine on my laptop (including dma), all
> kernels > 2.4.18 lock up at boot.
>
> The partition check line shows:
>
> Partition check:
> hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 <
>
> before it freezes.
>
> With the working 2.4.18 kernel the line shows:
>
> Partition check:
> hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 <hda5 hda6>

This sounds like your kernel succeeds in reading sector 0
but fails to read the starting sector of the extended partition.
An IDE problem, I suppose.