* mmap'ed memory cacheable or uncheable
@ 2003-07-25  3:26 ` Teresa Tao
From: Teresa Tao @ 2003-07-25  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

Hi there,

I got a question regarding the mmap'ed memory. Is the mmap'ed memory cacheable or uncheable? My driver just use the remap_page_range to map a reserved physical memory.

Thanks in advance!

Teresa

From: Teresa Tao @ 2003-07-25  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

Hi there,

I got a question regarding the mmap'ed memory. Is the mmap'ed memory cacheable or uncheable? My driver just use the remap_page_range to map a reserved physical memory.

Thanks in advance!

Teresa

* Re: mmap'ed memory cacheable or uncheable
  (?)
@ 2003-07-25 22:02 ` Jun Sun
From: Jun Sun @ 2003-07-25 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teresa Tao; +Cc: linux-mips, jsun

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 08:26:59PM -0700, Teresa Tao wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I got a question regarding the mmap'ed memory. Is the mmap'ed memory cacheable or uncheable? My driver just use the remap_page_range to map a reserved physical memory.

I am pretty much sure it is cached, although I can't pin down exactly
where in the mm subsystem it does so - I have had cache bugs related
to mmap().

Jun

@ 2003-07-31 11:31 ` Ralf Baechle
From: Ralf Baechle @ 2003-07-31 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teresa Tao; +Cc: linux-mips

On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 08:26:59PM -0700, Teresa Tao wrote:

> I got a question regarding the mmap'ed memory. Is the mmap'ed memory
> cacheable or uncheable? My driver just use the remap_page_range to map
> a reserved physical memory.

Mmap(2) creates cachable mappings for everything below the highest memory
address and uncached above that.  That's a somewhat naive mechanism
which fails a few systems but somehow nobody did complain so far ...

  Ralf

* Re: mmap'ed memory cacheable or uncheable
@ 2003-07-29 16:09   ` Maciej W. Rozycki
From: Maciej W. Rozycki @ 2003-07-29 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jun Sun; +Cc: Teresa Tao, linux-mips

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Jun Sun wrote:

> > How about if I specify the following flags in my mmap routine just like what the pgprot_noncached micro did.
> > 	pgprot_val(vma->vm_page_prot) &= ~_CACHE_MASK;
> > 	pgprot_val(vma->vm_page_prot) |= _CACHE_UNCACHED;
> >
> > Will this have kernel make the mmap'd memory non-cacheable? Or is there a mmap non-cacheable patch?
>
> I think this might work.  Did you try it?  The performance will be bad
> though as mmap() is used widely by userland.

 See mmap_mem() for how to select between cached and uncached mmap()ing
cleanly.

@ 2003-07-28 21:24 ` Jun Sun
From: Jun Sun @ 2003-07-28 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teresa Tao; +Cc: linux-mips, jsun