* make fails
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 Jean Delvare
                   ` (19 more replies)
From: Jean Delvare @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Hi Zeno,

Three weeks ago, you created a ticket on our database about the
following problem:

sudo make j2
Makefile:185: *** missing separator.  Stop.

Does lm_sensors 2.8.0 still do that? We would want to close the ticket
if you finally found a solution.

Thanks.

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/

* make fails
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Zeno R.R. Davatz
                   ` (14 subsequent siblings)
From: Zeno R.R. Davatz @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

Hi Jean

Thanks for your Mail. Was on holiday for two weeks thats why no reply from my side so far.

Yes, please close that bug, I managed to compile now.

Thanks for your time and help.

Zeno

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 16:53:59 +0200
Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> wrote:

> Hi Zeno,
>
> Three weeks ago, you created a ticket on our database about the
> following problem:
>
> sudo make j2
> Makefile:185: *** missing separator.  Stop.
>
> Does lm_sensors 2.8.0 still do that? We would want to close the ticket
> if you finally found a solution.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Jean Delvare
> http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best regards

Zeno Davatz
Strategie und Akquisition

+41 1 350 85 86

www.ywesee.com > intellectual capital connected > www.generika.cc

* make fails
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Jean Delvare
                   ` (13 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean Delvare @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

> Thanks for your Mail. Was on holiday for two weeks thats why no reply
> from my side so far.
>
> Yes, please close that bug, I managed to compile now.

Anything we should add to the ticket (how you solve the problem...)? The
tickets are also meant for the other users who could encounter the same
problem.

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/

* make fails
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Zeno R.R. Davatz
                   ` (16 subsequent siblings)
From: Zeno R.R. Davatz @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

As far as I can remember (after my holidays ;-) there where no Tabs somewhere around line 178 in the CVS-Code. I had to insert the Tabs for the spaces manually on two lines and then I tink everything worked...

best regards
Zeno

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:51:44 +0200
Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> wrote:

> > Thanks for your Mail. Was on holiday for two weeks thats why no reply
> > from my side so far.
> >
> > Yes, please close that bug, I managed to compile now.
>
> Anything we should add to the ticket (how you solve the problem...)? The
> tickets are also meant for the other users who could encounter the same
> problem.
>
> --
> Jean Delvare
> http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best regards

Zeno Davatz
Strategie und Akquisition

+41 1 350 85 86

www.ywesee.com > intellectual capital connected > www.generika.cc

* make fails
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Jean Delvare
                   ` (15 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean Delvare @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

> As far as I can remember (after my holidays ;-) there where no Tabs
> somewhere around line 178 in the CVS-Code. I had to insert the Tabs
> for the spaces manually on two lines and then I tink everything
> worked...

OK for this one, I closed it.

I see you have another, older ticket still unresolved:
http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/readticket.cgi?ticket\x1291

What about this one? Did you find a solution at that time, do you
remember what it was?

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/

* make fails
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Zeno R.R. Davatz
                   ` (17 subsequent siblings)
From: Zeno R.R. Davatz @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:27:27 +0200
Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> wrote:

> > As far as I can remember (after my holidays ;-) there where no Tabs
> > somewhere around line 178 in the CVS-Code. I had to insert the Tabs
> > for the spaces manually on two lines and then I tink everything
> > worked...
>
> OK for this one, I closed it.
>
> I see you have another, older ticket still unresolved:
> http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/readticket.cgi?ticket\x1291
>
> What about this one? Did you find a solution at that time, do you
> remember what it was?
Sorry, did not have time yet to check this one again. Will let you know as soon as possible. As far as I know my lm-sensors on my Mac are not yet working.

Ok?

Zeno

* make fails
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Zeno R.R. Davatz
                   ` (18 subsequent siblings)
From: Zeno R.R. Davatz @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:27:27 +0200
Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> wrote:

> > As far as I can remember (after my holidays ;-) there where no Tabs
> > somewhere around line 178 in the CVS-Code. I had to insert the Tabs
> > for the spaces manually on two lines and then I tink everything
> > worked...
>
> OK for this one, I closed it.
>
> I see you have another, older ticket still unresolved:
> http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/readticket.cgi?ticket\x1291
>
> What about this one? Did you find a solution at that time, do you
> remember what it was?
Ok, I need to recompile my kernel and then I will get back to you.

Zeno

* make fails
                   ` (10 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Zeno R.R. Davatz
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Zeno R.R. Davatz @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:27:27 +0200
Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> wrote:

> > As far as I can remember (after my holidays ;-) there where no Tabs
> > somewhere around line 178 in the CVS-Code. I had to insert the Tabs
> > for the spaces manually on two lines and then I tink everything
> > worked...
>
> OK for this one, I closed it.
>
> I see you have another, older ticket still unresolved:
> http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/readticket.cgi?ticket\x1291
>
> What about this one? Did you find a solution at that time, do you
> remember what it was?
Ok, recompiled. i2c installs great but lm-sensors gives me:

In file included from lib/data.c:20:
/usr/include/stdlib.h:445: error: parse error before "int32_t"
/usr/include/stdlib.h:447: error: parse error before '*' token
/usr/include/stdlib.h:451: error: parse error before '*' token
/usr/include/stdlib.h:452: error: parse error before '}' token
/usr/include/stdlib.h:455: error: parse error before "int32_t"
make: *** [lib/data.ao] Fehler 1

this ticket can be expanded to this error - or shall I open a new one?

Thanks for your Feedback.

Zeno

* make fails
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Jean Delvare
                   ` (10 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean Delvare @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

> Ok, recompiled. i2c installs great but lm-sensors gives me:
>
> In file included from lib/data.c:20:
> /usr/include/stdlib.h:445: error: parse error before "int32_t"
> /usr/include/stdlib.h:447: error: parse error before '*' token
> /usr/include/stdlib.h:451: error: parse error before '*' token
> /usr/include/stdlib.h:452: error: parse error before '}' token
> /usr/include/stdlib.h:455: error: parse error before "int32_t"
> make: *** [lib/data.ao] Fehler 1

Mmmh, doesn't sound like our fault. The error is in a system header.
This should *not* happen. I guess you would be unable to compile most
software, not only lm_sensors. It happens that i2c doesn't use this
header (that's why you succeeded), but lm_sensors use it many times, so
you won't get it to compile unless you can fix this.

> this ticket can be expanded to this error - or shall I open a new one?

Neither. I feel like it's not related to the old problem nor even to
lm_sensors, so no place for a ticket.

But I could be wrong. I would like you to try to compile some other
program that uses stdlib.h. If you succeed, then lm_sensors must be
wrong somewhere. In this case, I'd like you to send us the line that
produces the error (the error itself isn't very useful without the "gcc
-I. -Ikernel/include ..." line  that produced it.)

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/

* make fails
                   ` (17 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Zeno R.R. Davatz
From: Zeno R.R. Davatz @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:07:39 +0200
Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> wrote:

> Mmmh, doesn't sound like our fault. The error is in a system header.
> This should *not* happen. I guess you would be unable to compile most
> software, not only lm_sensors. It happens that i2c doesn't use this
> header (that's why you succeeded), but lm_sensors use it many times, so
> you won't get it to compile unless you can fix this.
>
> > this ticket can be expanded to this error - or shall I open a new one?
>
> Neither. I feel like it's not related to the old problem nor even to
> lm_sensors, so no place for a ticket.
>
> But I could be wrong. I would like you to try to compile some other
> program that uses stdlib.h.
What program would that be? I do know of any on the top of my mind.

If you succeed, then lm_sensors must be
> wrong somewhere. In this case, I'd like you to send us the line that
> produces the error (the error itself isn't very useful without the "gcc
> -I. -Ikernel/include ..." line  that produced it.)
Well, as I just said I recompiled my kernel before and I got no error compiling it.

The last lines are:

kernel/chips/via686a.c -o kernel/chips/via686a.o
gcc  -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.21-ben2/build/include/linux/modversions.h -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -fomit-frame-pointer -I. -Ikernel/include -I/usr/local/include -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-ben2/build/include  -nostdinc -I /usr/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-linux/3.3/include  -Wall -O2   -c kernel/chips/vt1211.c -o kernel/chips/vt1211.o
gcc -I. -Ikernel/include -I/usr/local/include -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-ben2/build/include  -Wall -O2   -c lib/data.c -o lib/data.ao
In file included from lib/data.c:20:
/usr/include/stdlib.h:445: error: parse error before "int32_t"
/usr/include/stdlib.h:447: error: parse error before '*' token
/usr/include/stdlib.h:451: error: parse error before '*' token
/usr/include/stdlib.h:452: error: parse error before '}' token
/usr/include/stdlib.h:455: error: parse error before "int32_t"
make: *** [lib/data.ao] Fehler 1

Let me know if you need anything more.

Thanks for your time and help.
Zeno

* make fails
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Jean Delvare
                   ` (11 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean Delvare @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

> > But I could be wrong. I would like you to try to compile some other
> > program that uses stdlib.h.
>
> What program would that be? I do know of any on the top of my mind.

Try the attached file. Compile with "gcc -Wall -W test-zeno.c -o
test-zeno". Tell us if it fails or not.

> Well, as I just said I recompiled my kernel before and I got no error
> compiling it.

That's different. The kernel, as i2c and the modules of lm_sensors, are
kernel-space code. They use completely different headers. That's why i2c
and the first half of lm_sensors could compile, while the second part of
lm_sensors couldn't.

> The last lines are:
>
> gcc -I. -Ikernel/include -I/usr/local/include
> -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-ben2/build/include  -Wall -O2
> -c lib/data.c -o lib/data.ao
> In file included from lib/data.c:20:
> /usr/include/stdlib.h:445: error: parse error before "int32_t"
> /usr/include/stdlib.h:447: error: parse error before '*' token
> /usr/include/stdlib.h:451: error: parse error before '*' token
> /usr/include/stdlib.h:452: error: parse error before '}' token
> /usr/include/stdlib.h:455: error: parse error before "int32_t"
> make: *** [lib/data.ao] Fehler 1
>
> Let me know if you need anything more.

Could you try the following (from the root of the lm_sensors package,
where you would run "make"). Basically, the command that fails is:
  gcc -I. -Ikernel/include -I/usr/local/include
-I/lib/modules/2.4.21-ben2/build/include -Wall -O2 -c lib/data.c -o
lib/data.ao
I would like you to try removing each -I parameter, in turn, or switch
their order in any possible combination. If it is an include order
problem, one of these should work. That's just a wild guess anyway, it
may not work at all. We are not used to PPC systems...

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/
-------------- next part --------------
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(void)
{
	return 0;
}

* make fails
                   ` (18 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Zeno R.R. Davatz
From: Zeno R.R. Davatz @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:47:29 +0200
Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> wrote:

> > > But I could be wrong. I would like you to try to compile some other
> > > program that uses stdlib.h.
> >
> > What program would that be? I do know of any on the top of my mind.
>
> Try the attached file. Compile with "gcc -Wall -W test-zeno.c -o
> test-zeno". Tell us if it fails or not.
Does not fail, compiles great.

> > Well, as I just said I recompiled my kernel before and I got no error
> > compiling it.
>
> That's different. The kernel, as i2c and the modules of lm_sensors, are
> kernel-space code. They use completely different headers. That's why i2c
> and the first half of lm_sensors could compile, while the second part of
> lm_sensors couldn't.
>
> > The last lines are:
> >
> > gcc -I. -Ikernel/include -I/usr/local/include
> > -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-ben2/build/include  -Wall -O2
> > -c lib/data.c -o lib/data.ao
> > In file included from lib/data.c:20:
> > /usr/include/stdlib.h:445: error: parse error before "int32_t"
> > /usr/include/stdlib.h:447: error: parse error before '*' token
> > /usr/include/stdlib.h:451: error: parse error before '*' token
> > /usr/include/stdlib.h:452: error: parse error before '}' token
> > /usr/include/stdlib.h:455: error: parse error before "int32_t"
> > make: *** [lib/data.ao] Fehler 1
> >
> > Let me know if you need anything more.
>
> Could you try the following (from the root of the lm_sensors package,
> where you would run "make"). Basically, the command that fails is:
>   gcc -I. -Ikernel/include -I/usr/local/include
> -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-ben2/build/include -Wall -O2 -c lib/data.c -o
> lib/data.ao
> I would like you to try removing each -I parameter, in turn, or switch
> their order in any possible combination. If it is an include order
> problem, one of these should work. That's just a wild guess anyway, it
> may not work at all. We are not used to PPC systems...
Sorry, please tell me how to remove the -I parameter.

Thanks for your time and help.

Zeno

* make fails
                   ` (9 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Jean Delvare
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean Delvare @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

> > Could you try the following (from the root of the lm_sensors
> > package, where you would run "make"). Basically, the command that
> > fails is:
> >   gcc -I. -Ikernel/include -I/usr/local/include
> > -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-ben2/build/include -Wall -O2 -c lib/data.c -o
> > lib/data.ao
> > I would like you to try removing each -I parameter, in turn, or
> > switch their order in any possible combination. If it is an include
> > order problem, one of these should work. That's just a wild guess
> > anyway, it may not work at all. We are not used to PPC systems...
>
> Sorry, please tell me how to remove the -I parameter.

Well, just run the command by yourself (from the root of the lm_sensors
package):

gcc -I. -Ikernel/include -I/usr/local/include
-I/lib/modules/2.4.21-ben2/build/include -Wall -O2 -c lib/data.c -o
lib/data.ao

This is expected to fail. Then try:

gcc -I. -Ikernel/include -I/usr/local/include -Wall -O2 -c lib/data.c -o
lib/data.ao

See, I removed one -I parameter. If it's not OK, you can try removing
another one instead, or two of them. If it's still not OK, you can try
switching the order like that:

gcc -Ikernel/include -I/usr/local/include
-I/lib/modules/2.4.21-ben2/build/include -I. -Wall -O2 -c lib/data.c -o
lib/data.ao

Or any other order. It's kind of repetitive work, I know, but if you can
find one or more combinations that work, we'll have something to start
from.

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/

* make fails
                   ` (14 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Zeno R.R. Davatz
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Zeno R.R. Davatz @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:45:31 +0200
Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> wrote:

> gcc -I. -Ikernel/include -I/usr/local/include -Wall -O2 -c lib/data.c -o
> lib/data.ao

this one worked fine.

What is next?

Thanks for feedback.
Zeno

* make fails
                   ` (13 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Jean Delvare
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean Delvare @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

> > gcc -I. -Ikernel/include -I/usr/local/include -Wall -O2 -c
> > lib/data.c -o lib/data.ao
>
> this one worked fine.
>
> What is next?

Attached is a Makefile I'd like you to try. Simply replace the original
lm_sensors' Makefile with this one, then run "make clean && make". It
works for me (which means it doesn't break the x86 compilation) and I
expect it so solve your problem, at least partly.

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/
-------------- next part --------------
#  Makefile - Makefile for a Linux module for reading sensor data.
#  Copyright (c) 1998, 1999  Frodo Looijaard <frodol@dds.nl>
#
#  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
#  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.
#
#  This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
#  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
#  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
#  GNU General Public License for more details.
#
#  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
#  along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
#  Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

# Everything you may want to change is in the top of this file. Usually, you
# can just use the defaults, fortunately.

# You need a full complement of GNU utilities to run this Makefile succesfully;
# most notably, you need bash, GNU make, flex (>= 2.5.1) and bison.

# If your /bin/sh is not bash, change the below definition so that make can
# find bash. Or you can hope your sh-like shell understands all scripts.
# I think so, but I have not tested it.
#SHELL := /usr/bin/bash

# The currently running kernel version. This is used right below to
# determine where the kernel sources can be found.
KERNELVERSION := $(shell uname -r)

# The location of linux itself. This is used to find the kernel headers
# and other things.
#LINUX := /usr/src/linux
LINUX := $(shell if [ -L /lib/modules/$(KERNELVERSION)/build ] ; \
	then echo "/lib/modules/$(KERNELVERSION)/build" ; \
	else echo "/usr/src/linux" ; fi)
LINUX_HEADERS := $(LINUX)/include

# Determine whether we need to compile the kernel modules, or only the
# user-space utilities. By default, the kernel modules are compiled.
# Leave this set to 1. If you want to compile and install only
# the library and the userspace programs,
#  use 'make user' and 'make user_install'
#COMPILE_KERNEL := 0
COMPILE_KERNEL := 1

# If you have installed the i2c header at some other place (like
# /usr/local/include/linux), set that directory here. Please check this out
# if you get strange compilation errors; the default Linux i2c headers
# may be used mistakenly. Note: This should point to the directory
# *above* the linux/ subdirectory, so to /usr/local/include in the
# above example.
I2C_HEADERS := /usr/local/include
#I2C_HEADERS := $(LINUX_HEADERS)

# Uncomment the third line on SMP systems if the magic invocation fails. It
# is a bit complicated because SMP configuration changed around kernel 2.1.130
SMP := $(shell if grep -q '^SMP[[:space:]]*=' $(LINUX)/Makefile || \
                  grep -q '^[[:space:]]*\#define[[:space:]]*CONFIG_SMP[[:space:]]*1' $(LINUX_HEADERS)/linux/autoconf.h ; \
               then echo 1; else echo 0; fi)
#SMP := 0
#SMP := 1

# Uncomment the second or third line if the magic invocation fails.
# We need to know whether CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is defined.
MODVER := $(shell if cat $(LINUX_HEADERS)/linux/config.h $(LINUX_HEADERS)/linux/autoconf.h 2>/dev/null | grep -q '^[[:space:]]*\#define[[:space:]]*CONFIG_MODVERSIONS[[:space:]]*1'; then echo 1; else echo 0; fi)
#MODVER := 0
#MODVER := 1

# Uncomment the second line if you are a developer. This will enable many
# additional warnings at compile-time
WARN := 0
#WARN := 1

# Uncomment the second line if you want to get (loads of) debug information
# at run-time.
# Not recommended, unless you are actually debugging the code
DEBUG := 0
#DEBUG := 1

# If you want to install at some other place then at from which you will run
# everything, set DESTDIR to the extra prefix.
DESTDIR :
# This is the prefix that will be used for almost all directories below.
PREFIX := /usr/local

# This is the main modules directory into which the modules will be installed.
# The magic invocation will return something like this:
#   /lib/modules/2.2.15-ac9
#MODDIR := /lib/modules/`grep UTS_RELEASE $(LINUX_HEADERS)/linux/version.h|cut -f 2 -d'"'`/misc
#MODPREF := /lib/modules/$(KERNELVERSION)
#MODPREF := /lib/modules/`grep UTS_RELEASE $(LINUX_HEADERS)/linux/version.h|cut -f 2 -d'"'`
MODPREF := /lib/modules/$(shell $(CC) -I$(LINUX_HEADERS) -E etc/config.c | grep uts_release |cut -f 2 -d'"')

# This is the directory where sensors.conf will be installed, if no other
# configuration file is found
ETCDIR := /etc

# You should not need to change this. It is the directory into which the
# library files (both static and shared) will be installed.
LIBDIR := $(PREFIX)/lib

# You should not need to change this. It is the directory into which the
# executable program files will be installed. BINDIR for programs that are
# also useful for normal users, SBINDIR for programs that can only be run
# by the superuser.
# Note that not all programs in this package are really installed;
# some are just examples. You can always install them by hand, of
# course.
BINDIR := $(PREFIX)/bin
SBINDIR := $(PREFIX)/sbin

# You should not need to change this. It is the basic directory into which
# include files will be installed. The actual directory will be
# $(INCLUDEDIR)/linux for system include files, and $(INCLUDEDIR)/sensors
# for library include files. If PREFIX equals the default /usr/local/bin,
# you will be able to use '#include <linux/sensors.h>' regardless of the
# current kernel selected.
INCLUDEDIR := $(PREFIX)/include
SYSINCLUDEDIR := $(INCLUDEDIR)/linux
LIBINCLUDEDIR := $(INCLUDEDIR)/sensors

# You should not need to change this. It is the base directory under which the
# manual pages will be installed.
MANDIR := $(PREFIX)/man

# You should not need to change this. It defines the manual owner and group
# as which manual pages are installed.
MANOWN := root
MANGRP := root

MACHINE := $(shell uname -m)

# Extra non-default programs to build; e.g., sensord
# PROG_EXTRA := sensord

# Set these to add preprocessor or compiler flags, or use
# environment variables
# CFLAGS :# CPPFLAGS :
# Below this, nothing should need to be changed. #

# Note that this is a monolithic Makefile; it calls no sub-Makefiles,
# but instead, it compiles everything right from here. Yes, there are
# some distinct advantages to this; see the following paper for more info:
#   http://www.tip.net.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html
# Note that is still uses Makefile fragments in sub-directories; these
# are called 'Module.mk'.

# Within each Module.mk, rules and dependencies can be added to targets
# all, install and clean. Use double colons instead of single ones
# to do this.

# The subdirectories we need to build things in
SRCDIRS := mkpatch
ifeq ($(COMPILE_KERNEL),1)
SRCDIRS += kernel kernel/busses kernel/chips kernel/include
endif
SRCDIRS += lib prog/sensors prog/dump prog/detect ${PROG_EXTRA:%=prog/%} etc

# Some often-used commands with default options
MKDIR := mkdir -p
RMDIR := rmdir
RM := rm -f
CC := gcc
BISON := bison
FLEX := flex
AR := ar
INSTALL := install
LN := ln -sfn
GREP := grep
AWK := awk
SED := sed

# Determine the default compiler flags
# Set CFLAGS or CPPFLAGS above to add your own flags to all.
# ALLCPPFLAGS/ALLCFLAGS are common flags, plus any user-specified overrides from the environment or make command line.
# MODCPPFLAGS/MODCFLAGS is to create in-kernel object files (modules).
# PROGCPPFLAGS/PROGCFLAGS is to create non-kernel object files (which are linked into executables).
# ARCPPFLAGS/ARCFLAGS are used to create archive object files (static libraries).
# LIBCPPFLAGS/LIBCFLAGS are for shared library objects.
ALL_CPPFLAGS := -I. -Ikernel/include -I$(I2C_HEADERS)
ALL_CFLAGS := -Wall -O2

ifeq ($(DEBUG),1)
ALL_CPPFLAGS += -DDEBUG
endif

ifeq ($(WARN),1)
ALL_CFLAGS += -W -Wstrict-prototypes -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual \
            -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Wnested-externs -Winline
endif

ALL_CPPFLAGS += $(CPPFLAGS)
ALL_CFLAGS += $(CFLAGS)

MODCPPFLAGS :MODCFLAGS :
ifeq ($(MACHINE),alpha)
MODCFLAGS += -ffixed-8
endif

ifeq ($(MACHINE),x86_64)
MODCFLAGS += -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -mno-red-zone\
	     -mcmodel=kernel -fno-reorder-blocks -finline-limit 00 -fno-strength-reduce
endif

ifeq ($(SMP),1)
MODCPPFLAGS += -D__SMP__
endif

ifeq ($(MODVER),1)
MODCPPFLAGS += -DMODVERSIONS -include $(LINUX_HEADERS)/linux/modversions.h
endif

# This magic is from the kernel Makefile.
# Extra cflags for kbuild 2.4.  The default is to forbid includes by kernel code
# from user space headers.
kbuild_2_4_nostdinc := -nostdinc $(shell LC_ALL=C $(CC) -print-search-dirs | sed -ne 's/install: \(.*\)/-I \1include/gp')

MODCPPFLAGS += -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -fomit-frame-pointer $(ALL_CPPFLAGS) -I$(LINUX_HEADERS) $(kbuild_2_4_nostdinc)
MODCFLAGS += $(ALL_CFLAGS)
PROGCPPFLAGS := $(ALL_CPPFLAGS)
PROGCFLAGS := $(ALL_CFLAGS)
ARCPPFLAGS := $(ALL_CPPFLAGS)
ARCFLAGS := $(ALL_CFLAGS)
LIBCPPFLAGS := $(ALL_CPPFLAGS)
LIBCFLAGS := -fpic $(ALL_CFLAGS)

.PHONY: all clean install version package dep

# Make all the default rule
all::

# Include all makefiles for sub-modules
INCLUDEFILES :=
include $(patsubst %,%/Module.mk,$(SRCDIRS))
ifneq ($(MAKECMDGOALS),clean)
include $(INCLUDEFILES)
endif

# Making the dependency files - done automatically!
dep :

user ::
user_install::
all :: user
install :: all user_install
	@echo "*** The depmod command below may generate errors. We are aware of the"
	@echo "*** problem and are working on a solution. You should ignore them for now."
ifeq ($(DESTDIR),)
	-/sbin/depmod -a
else
	-/sbin/depmod -a -b $(DESTDIR)
endif
	@echo "*** Installation successful!"
	@echo "*** Important notes:"
	@echo "*** 1* The libsensors configuration file ($(ETCDIR)/sensors.conf) is never"
	@echo "***    overwritten by our installation process, so that you won't lose"
	@echo "***    your personal settings in that file. You still can get our latest"
	@echo "***    default config file in etc/sensors.conf.eg and manually copy it to"
	@echo "***    $(ETCDIR)/sensors.conf if you want. You will then want to edit it"
	@echo "***    to fit your needs again."
	@echo "*** 2* The dmidecode tool ($(SBINDIR)/dmidecode) is not necessarily"
	@echo "***    overwritten either, because we don't distribute the latest version."
	@echo "***    If you know you have an old one (1.7 or earlier), you should copy"
	@echo "***    our version (prog/detect/dmidecode) to $(SBINDIR)/dmidecode. Our"
	@echo "***    installation process relies on a simple date comparison to decide"
	@echo "***    wether or not it should overwrite the file, but the trick may"
	@echo "***    fail if for any reason you installed an old verion of dmidecode"
	@echo "***    at a time a newer version was available."

clean::
	$(RM) lm_sensors-*

# This is tricky, but it works like a charm. It needs lots of utilities
# though: cut, find, gzip, ln, tail and tar.
package: version clean
	lmversion=`tail -1 version.h|cut -f 2 -d \"`; \
	lmpackage=lm_sensors-$$lmversion; \
	ln -s . $$lmpackage;  \
	find $$lmpackage/ -type f | grep -v ^$$lmpackage/$$lmpackage$$ | \
	                            grep -v ^$$lmpackage/$$lmpackage.tar$$ | \
	                            grep -v ^$$lmpackage/$$ | \
	                            grep -v /CVS | \
	                            grep -v /\\.# | \
	                            tar rvf $$lmpackage.tar -T -; \
        gzip -9 $$lmpackage.tar ;\
        $(RM) $$lmpackage.tar $$lmpackage
	cat doc/developers/checklist

version:
	$(RM) version.h
	echo '#define LM_DATE "'`date +'%Y%m%d'`\" > version.h
	echo -n 'Version: '; \
	echo '#define LM_VERSION "'`read VER; echo $$VER`\" >> version.h

help:
	@echo 'Make targets are:'
	@echo '  all (default): build modules and userspace programs'
	@echo '  install: install modules and userspace programs'
	@echo '  user: build userspace programs'
	@echo '  user_install: install userspace programs'
	@echo '  clean: cleanup'
	@echo '  package: create a distribution package'
	@echo 'Note: make dep is automatic'

# Here, we define all implicit rules we want to use.

.SUFFIXES:

# We need to create dependency files. Tricky. We sed rule puts dir/file.d and
# dir/file.c in front of the dependency file rule.

# .o files are used for modules
%.o: %.c
	$(CC) $(MODCPPFLAGS) $(MODCFLAGS) -c $< -o $@

%.d: %.c
	$(CC) -M -MG $(MODCPPFLAGS) $(MODCFLAGS) $< | \
       	$(SED) -e 's@^\(.*\)\.o:@$*.d $*.o: Makefile '`dirname $*.d`/Module.mk' @' > $@

# .ro files are used for programs (as opposed to modules)
%.ro: %.c
	$(CC) $(PROGCPPFLAGS) $(PROGCFLAGS) -c $< -o $@

%.rd: %.c
	$(CC) -M -MG $(PROGCPPFLAGS) $(PROGCFLAGS) $< | \
       	$(SED) -e 's@^\(.*\)\.o:@$*.rd $*.ro: Makefile '`dirname $*.rd`/Module.mk' @' > $@

%: %.ro
	$(CC) $(EXLDFLAGS) -o $@ $^

# .ao files are used for static archives
%.ao: %.c
	$(CC) $(ARCPPFLAGS) $(ARCFLAGS) -c $< -o $@

%.ad: %.c
	$(CC) -M -MG $(ARCPPFLAGS) $(ARCFLAGS) $< | \
       	$(SED) -e 's@^\(.*\)\.o:@$*.ad $*.ao: Makefile '`dirname $*.ad`/Module.mk' @' > $@

# .lo files are used for shared libraries
%.lo: %.c
	$(CC) $(LIBCPPFLAGS) $(LIBCFLAGS) -c $< -o $@

%.ld: %.c
	$(CC) -M -MG $(LIBCPPFLAGS) $(LIBCFLAGS) $< | \
       	$(SED) -e 's@^\(.*\)\.o:@$*.ld $*.lo: Makefile '`dirname $*.ld`/Module.mk' @' > $@

# Flex and Bison
%c: %y
	$(BISON) -p sensors_yy -d $< -o $@

%.c: %.l
	$(FLEX) -Psensors_yy -t $< > $@

* make fails
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Zeno R.R. Davatz
                   ` (9 subsequent siblings)
From: Zeno R.R. Davatz @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:16:44 +0200
Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> wrote:

> > > gcc -I. -Ikernel/include -I/usr/local/include -Wall -O2 -c
> > > lib/data.c -o lib/data.ao
> >
> > this one worked fine.
> >
> > What is next?
>
> Attached is a Makefile I'd like you to try. Simply replace the original
> lm_sensors' Makefile with this one, then run "make clean && make". It
> works for me (which means it doesn't break the x86 compilation) and I
> expect it so solve your problem, at least partly.

ok. done that. now I get:

k' @' > kernel/busses/i2c-ali1535.d
gcc -M -MG  -DMODVERSIONS -include /lib/modules/2.4.21-ben2/build/include/linux/modversions.h -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -fomit-frame-pointer -I. -Ikernel/include -I/usr/local/include  -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-ben2/build/include -nostdinc -I /usr/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-linux/3.3/include  -Wall -O2   kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c | \
        sed -e 's@^\(.*\)\.o:@kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.d kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.o: Makefile '`dirname kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.d`/Module.mk' @' > kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.d
make: *** Keine Regel vorhanden, um das Target ?sys/io.h?,
  ben?tigt von ?prog/dump/isadump.rd?, zu erstellen.  Schluss.

Thanks for your feedback.

Zeno

* make fails
                   ` (11 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Jean Delvare
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean Delvare @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

> ok. done that. now I get:
>
> k' @' > kernel/busses/i2c-ali1535.d
> gcc -M -MG  -DMODVERSIONS -include
> /lib/modules/2.4.21-ben2/build/include/linux/modversions.h
> -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -fomit-frame-pointer -I.
> -Ikernel/include -I/usr/local/include
> -I/lib/modules/2.4.21-ben2/build/include -nostdinc -I
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-linux/3.3/include  -Wall -O2
> kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.c | \
>         sed -e 's@^\(.*\)\.o:@kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.d
>         kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.o: Makefile '`dirname
>         kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.d`/Module.mk' @' >
>         kernel/busses/i2c-nforce2.d
> make: *** Keine Regel vorhanden, um das Target ?sys/io.h?,
>   ben?tigt von ?prog/dump/isadump.rd?, zu erstellen.  Schluss.

Do you have any sys/io.h file on your system (use find or locate)? Some
systems have asm/io.h instead. There is a macro that is supposed to
decide which one to chose, but maybe it isn't working for PPC systems.

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/

* make fails
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Zeno R.R. Davatz
                   ` (12 subsequent siblings)
From: Zeno R.R. Davatz @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:56:33 +0200
Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> wrote:

> Do you have any sys/io.h file on your system (use find or locate)? Some
> systems have asm/io.h instead. There is a macro that is supposed to
> decide which one to chose, but maybe it isn't working for PPC systems.

zeno@zrr:/var/log$ sudo find / -name io.h
/usr/include/asm/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/fs/befs/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-alpha/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-arm/arch-anakin/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-arm/arch-arc/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-arm/arch-cl7500/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-arm/arch-clps711x/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-arm/arch-ebsa110/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-arm/arch-ebsa285/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-arm/arch-epxa10db/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-arm/arch-integrator/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-arm/arch-l7200/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-arm/arch-mx1ads/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-arm/arch-nexuspci/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-arm/arch-rpc/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-arm/arch-sa1100/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-arm/arch-shark/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-arm/arch-tbox/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-arm/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-cris/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-i386/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-ia64/sn/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-ia64/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-m68k/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-mips/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-mips64/ip32/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-mips64/mips-boards/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-mips64/sgi/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-mips64/sibyte/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-mips64/sn/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-mips64/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-parisc/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-ppc/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-ppc64/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-s390/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-s390x/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-sh/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-sparc/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-sparc64/io.h
/usr/src/benh_kernel/include/asm-x86_64/io.h

Thanks for further feedback.

Zeno

* make fails
                   ` (12 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Jean Delvare
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Jean Delvare @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:56:33 +0200
> Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> wrote:
>
> > Do you have any sys/io.h file on your system (use find or locate)?
> > Some systems have asm/io.h instead. There is a macro that is
> > supposed to decide which one to chose, but maybe it isn't working
> > for PPC systems.
>
> zeno@zrr:/var/log$ sudo find / -name io.h
> /usr/include/asm/io.h

OK, so thats the problem. Your io.h is in asm, and we look for it in
sys.

What's your glibc version? (ls -l /lib/libc-*.so will tell you).

Anyway, this problem is completely different from the other one (well, I
think so) so we'll leave it apart for now. Please edit
proc/dump/isadump.c. At the beginning you'll see:

/* To keep glibc2 happy */
#if defined(__GLIBC__) && __GLIBC__ = 2 && __GLIBC_MINOR__ >= 0
#include <sys/io.h>
#else
#include <asm/io.h>
#endif

Simply replace the whole block with:

#include <asm/io.h>

Save, and try to compile again. I hope it will be fine. I'll think of a
real fix later. This is the only program using this file. With a bit of
luck, it was the last compilation problem :)

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/

* make fails
                   ` (15 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Zeno R.R. Davatz
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Zeno R.R. Davatz @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:23:03 +0200
Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> wrote:

> > On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:56:33 +0200
> > Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> wrote:
> OK, so thats the problem. Your io.h is in asm, and we look for it in
> sys.
>
> What's your glibc version? (ls -l /lib/libc-*.so will tell you).
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1273304 2003-04-20 19:36 /lib/libc-2.3.1.so

> Anyway, this problem is completely different from the other one (well, I
> think so) so we'll leave it apart for now. Please edit
> proc/dump/isadump.c. At the beginning you'll see:
>
> /* To keep glibc2 happy */
> #if defined(__GLIBC__) && __GLIBC__ = 2 && __GLIBC_MINOR__ >= 0
> #include <sys/io.h>
> #else
> #include <asm/io.h>
> #endif
>
> Simply replace the whole block with:
>
> #include <asm/io.h>
>
> Save, and try to compile again. I hope it will be fine. I'll think of a
> real fix later. This is the only program using this file. With a bit of
> luck, it was the last compilation problem :)
well it is compiling now...

Will get back to you as soon as I know about success or failure.

Thanks in the meantime.

Zeno
--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best regards

Zeno Davatz
Strategie und Akquisition

+41 1 350 85 86

www.ywesee.com > intellectual capital connected > www.generika.cc

* make fails
                   ` (16 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-05-19  6:24 ` Zeno R.R. Davatz
From: Zeno R.R. Davatz @ 2005-05-19  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lm-sensors

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:23:03 +0200
Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> wrote:

> > On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:56:33 +0200
> > Jean Delvare <khali@linux-fr.org> wrote:
> think so) so we'll leave it apart for now. Please edit
> proc/dump/isadump.c. At the beginning you'll see:
>
> /* To keep glibc2 happy */
> #if defined(__GLIBC__) && __GLIBC__ = 2 && __GLIBC_MINOR__ >= 0
> #include <sys/io.h>
> #else
> #include <asm/io.h>
> #endif
>
> Simply replace the whole block with:
>
> #include <asm/io.h>

Now I get:
gcc -I. -Ikernel/include -I/usr/local/include  -Wall -O2   -c prog/sensors/main.c -o prog/sensors/main.ro
gcc -I. -Ikernel/include -I/usr/local/include  -Wall -O2   -c prog/sensors/chips.c -o prog/sensors/chips.ro
gcc -o prog/sensors/sensors prog/sensors/main.ro prog/sensors/chips.ro -Llib -lsensors
gcc -I. -Ikernel/include -I/usr/local/include  -Wall -O2   -c prog/dump/isadump.c -o prog/dump/isadump.ro
prog/dump/isadump.c: In function `main':
prog/dump/isadump.c:174: Warnung: implicit declaration of function `outb'
prog/dump/isadump.c:183: Warnung: implicit declaration of function `inb'
gcc  -o prog/dump/isadump prog/dump/isadump.ro
prog/dump/isadump.ro(.text+0x284): In function `main':
: undefined reference to `outb'
prog/dump/isadump.ro(.text+0x290): In function `main':
: undefined reference to `inb'
prog/dump/isadump.ro(.text+0x308): In function `main':
: undefined reference to `outb'
prog/dump/isadump.ro(.text+0x318): In function `main':
: undefined reference to `outb'
prog/dump/isadump.ro(.text+0x32c): In function `main':
: undefined reference to `outb'
prog/dump/isadump.ro(.text+0x33c): In function `main':
: undefined reference to `outb'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [prog/dump/isadump] Fehler 1

Thanks for Feedback.