* [linux-lvm] How long does PVmove take
@ 2003-08-05 17:54 B. J. Zolp
From: B. J. Zolp @ 2003-08-05 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

I have to remove 4 120GB IDE drives from a LVM on a P2 450Mhz machine.  I have
been pvmoving one of them for about the last 5 days.  Is this a normal time
frame?  How much longer can I expect?

Thanks,

bjz

* Re: [linux-lvm] How long does PVmove take
@ 2003-08-05 17:59 ` Scott Mcdermott
From: Scott Mcdermott @ 2003-08-05 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

B. J. Zolp on Tue  5/08 17:54 -0500:
> I have to remove 4 120GB IDE drives from a LVM on a P2
> 450Mhz machine.  I have been pvmoving one of them for
> about the last 5 days.  Is this a normal time frame?  How
> much longer can I expect?

you should see progress (i think it gives some progress
without -v iirc), just estimate based on moved PE / total PE
and compare to elapsed time.

with LVM1 at least, it's quite slow, but I moved 40G in
less than 4 hours, so...

one thing that threw me, was that it doesn't start moving
for a LONG time and there is no output.  I had very
important data, so I didn't kill it, because I knew it was
doing stuff based on wchan :)

* Re: [linux-lvm] How long does PVmove take
@ 2003-08-05 18:23   ` B. J. Zolp
From: B. J. Zolp @ 2003-08-05 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

I actually did a "pvmove -v /dev/..." and so far after 5 days all I see is:

pvmove -- checking name of source physical volume "/dev/....."
pvmove -- locking logical volume manager

and that is it.

Its been at 80-98% cpu the whole time too.  I have a feeling something is
wrong.

bjz

@ 2003-08-06  3:19     ` Dieter Stueken
From: Dieter Stueken @ 2003-08-06  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

B. J. Zolp wrote:
> Its been at 80-98% cpu the whole time too.  I have a feeling
> something is wrong.

Have a look at the device settings by "hdparm /dev/hdx" to see, if
DMA was disabled. If it was turned off, you should also have a look
into your syslog for IDE bad sector errors occurred. If so, the linux
IDE driver will switch off DMA immediately, as some years ago, buggy IDE
controller caused this kind of problem. Nowerdays this cause of errors
became quite unlikely. Instead it most likely there is (or was) really
some bad sector on your disk, and the error has nothing to do with the
use of DMA mode (but may cause further problem for pvmove).

some very aged PII board you may even tell the driver, not to swich
off DMA for each error "hdparm -k 1..". But you should watch out for
any disk erros very carefully, and use some diagnostic tools to monitor
your disks, i.E. http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Dieter.
--
Dieter St�ken, con terra GmbH, M�nster
     stueken@conterra.de

* Re: [linux-lvm] How long does PVmove take
@ 2003-08-06  3:56 ` Joe Thornber
From: Joe Thornber @ 2003-08-06  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 05:54:13PM -0500, B. J. Zolp wrote:
> I have to remove 4 120GB IDE drives from a LVM on a P2 450Mhz machine.  I have
> been pvmoving one of them for about the last 5 days.  Is this a normal time
> frame?  How much longer can I expect?

I moved 30G in about 40 minutes yesterday. (LVM2)

- Joe

* Re: [linux-lvm] How long does PVmove take
@ 2003-08-06  9:31   ` Scott Mcdermott
From: Scott Mcdermott @ 2003-08-06  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Joe Thornber on Wed  6/08 09:52 +0100:
> > I have to remove 4 120GB IDE drives from a LVM on a P2
> > 450Mhz machine.  I have been pvmoving one of them for
> > about the last 5 days.  Is this a normal time frame?
> > How much longer can I expect?
>
> I moved 30G in about 40 minutes yesterday. (LVM2)

that is an *huge* improvement over speed of LVM1 :)

although, you only got LVM2 pvmove working very
recently...is that something you would trust on production
machine?

* Re: [linux-lvm] How long does PVmove take
@ 2003-08-06  9:36     ` Joe Thornber
From: Joe Thornber @ 2003-08-06  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:30:09AM -0400, Scott Mcdermott wrote:
> Joe Thornber on Wed  6/08 09:52 +0100:
> > > I have to remove 4 120GB IDE drives from a LVM on a P2
> > > 450Mhz machine.  I have been pvmoving one of them for
> > > about the last 5 days.  Is this a normal time frame?
> > > How much longer can I expect?
> >
> > I moved 30G in about 40 minutes yesterday. (LVM2)
>
> that is an *huge* improvement over speed of LVM1 :)
>
> although, you only got LVM2 pvmove working very
> recently...is that something you would trust on production
> machine?

We've tested pretty thoroughly, but you might want to wait for some
more testing from people on the list, or do some testing yourself :)

- Joe