* Re: [parisc-linux] adding a second nic to B1000
@ 2003-08-07 18:01 geos
From: geos @ 2003-08-07 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: randolph; +Cc: parisc-linux

Sorry about that
im kinda new to this if you cant tell ;)
make config allowed me to select what nic drivers i
wanted but this did not compile or load the new driver

i will have to get the exact errors msg's when i get
back home

i ran the recompile kernal found here
http://www.parisc-linux.org/kernel/index.html
using Simple Recipe to Build a Kernel

this added the source to /usr/src/linux
that source should be the same as my kernal
after doing that i did this
http://www.scyld.com/expert/modules.html
needed to get lib6,cvs after a net-install to do this

the common error after compileing and doing a insmod
3c95x.o
was "this was compiled for 2.4.18 and this version is
for 2.4.19"
so i copy the 3c95x.c from the 2.4.19 kernel and did it
again now i get an error like this will not function

ill get better errors msgs tonight

am i doing this all wrong ?

> Please reply to the list, not to me privately.
>
> In reference to a message from geos@canada.com, dated
> Aug 07:
> > I will try that later tonite
> > i cannot get the 3c95x.c to compile or when i do it
> > tells me its compiled for the wrong kerel
>
> this looks like a generic module compiling problem,
not
> hppa specific...
> have you done this before succesfully? Are you
building

@ 2003-08-08  7:46 ` Joel Soete
From: Joel Soete @ 2003-08-08  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: geos; +Cc: randolph, parisc-linux

geos@canada.com wrote:

>Sorry about that
>im kinda new to this if you cant tell ;)
>make config allowed me to select what nic drivers i
>wanted but this did not compile or load the new driver
>
>i will have to get the exact errors msg's when i get
>back home
>
>i ran the recompile kernal found here
>http://www.parisc-linux.org/kernel/index.html
>using Simple Recipe to Build a Kernel
>
>this added the source to /usr/src/linux
>that source should be the same as my kernal
>after doing that i did this
>http://www.scyld.com/expert/modules.html
>needed to get lib6,cvs after a net-install to do this
>
>the common error after compileing and doing a insmod
>3c95x.o
>was "this was compiled for 2.4.18 and this version is
>for 2.4.19"
>so i copy the 3c95x.c from the 2.4.19 kernel and did it
>again now i get an error like this will not function

Well if I well understand you reached to recompile hppa linux kernel
with module for 3c95x: congratulation.
But to load modules, they have to be build for the kernel you are
running (I think that will change in 2.6). So the only  think to do now
is to _reboot_ with the kernel you just rebuild for your nic :)

hth,
    Joel

* Re: [parisc-linux] adding a second nic to B1000
@ 2003-08-08 15:02   ` Jan-Benedict Glaw
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw @ 2003-08-08 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: parisc-linux

On Fri, 2003-08-08 07:46:24 +0000, Joel Soete <joel.soete@tiscali.be>
wrote in message <3F335550.3030804@tiscali.be>:
> geos@canada.com wrote:

> But to load modules, they have to be build for the kernel you are
> running (I think that will change in 2.6). So the only  think to do now

I'm quite sure that won't change, ever. Linux, if it's compatible to
itself at all, has got "only" a source compatible API. You're somewhat
on a more save side if you're using symbol versioning, but if you force
a module to load (into a kernel of different version or even of
different configuration), you may loose. Right now or sometime later:)

That's what "tainting" was ment for:)

MfG, JBG

      ret = do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(IRAQ_WAR_2 | DRM | TCPA));

* Re: [parisc-linux] adding a second nic to B1000
@ 2003-08-08 19:32     ` Joel Soete
From: Joel Soete @ 2003-08-08 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan-Benedict Glaw; +Cc: parisc-linux

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

>On Fri, 2003-08-08 07:46:24 +0000, Joel Soete <joel.soete@tiscali.be>
>wrote in message <3F335550.3030804@tiscali.be>:
>

>>geos@canada.com wrote:
>>

>>But to load modules, they have to be build for the kernel you are
>>running (I think that will change in 2.6). So the only  think to do now
>>

>I'm quite sure that won't change, ever. Linux, if it's compatible to
>itself at all, has got "only" a source compatible API. You're somewhat
>on a more save side if you're using symbol versioning, but if you force
>a module to load (into a kernel of different version or even of
>different configuration), you may loose. Right now or sometime later:)
>
>That's what "tainting" was ment for:)
>
>MfG, JBG

Sorry for this confuion I do have missunderstood some discussion on the
subject, my bad :(

Thanks for those clarification,
    Joel

* Re: [parisc-linux] adding a second nic to B1000
@ 2003-08-07 18:42 ` Jesse Dougherty
From: Jesse Dougherty @ 2003-08-07 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: geos; +Cc: parisc-linux

It might be the 3com card, the recommended NIC cards for the B1000 are
HP B5509BA PCI 10/100Base-TX and HP A4926A PCI 1000Base-SX

Jesse

       [not found] <20030807091916.8745.h006.c009.wm@mail.canada.com.criticalpath.net>
@ 2003-08-07 16:59 ` Randolph Chung
From: Randolph Chung @ 2003-08-07 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: geos; +Cc: parisc-linux

@ 2003-08-07 16:04 ` Joel Soete
From: Joel Soete @ 2003-08-07 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: geos, parisc-linux

> Ive been trying for 5 days not to get a second nic
>installed into hp b1000 using pa-risc woody 3
>
>iv read all i can find , been to all the irc chnls
>im at a loss here
>
>it may be the 3com 3C95x pci card does not work in this
>box
>
>it should work with debian
>the card does work in i386 box
>the builtin nic works fine
>
>can this be done? if so is there a howto ?
>if this card is not supported what nic cards are ?

For my part, I run successfully a Debian on a b2k with 2 nic (the builtin
and an additional) since a long time but it is an hp product.

I also try some stuff coming from i386: an OEM hp equinox pci card (which
Grant use successfully on a i386) but the driver doesn't yet work on hppa;
also in the same case an ATI gfx card,... (for this last I am awaiting that
2.6 run on my b2k to investigate more because ATI drivers are already improved
in 2.6 :-))

Joel

Soldes Tiscali ADSL : 27,50 euros/mois jusque fin 2003.
On s'habitue vite à payer son ADSL moins cher!
Plus d'info? Cliquez ici... http://reg.tiscali.be/default.asp?lg=fr

* Re: [parisc-linux] adding a second nic to B1000
@ 2003-08-07 15:54 ` Randolph Chung
From: Randolph Chung @ 2003-08-07 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: geos; +Cc: parisc-linux

> it may be the 3com 3C95x pci card does not work in this
> box
> it should work with debian
> the card does work in i386 box
> the builtin nic works fine

how does it "not work"? does it hang the box?

i have a spare 3c95x that i can try as well... (altho there are
really many variants of the vortex/boomerang cards)

can you perhaps plug the card into a working i386 box and show us the
lspci -vvvn output?

randolph
--
Randolph Chung
Debian GNU/Linux Developer, hppa/ia64 ports
http://www.tausq.org/

* [parisc-linux] adding a second nic to B1000
@ 2003-08-07 15:36 geos
                   ` (2 more replies)