* [Qemu-devel] non linux host?
@ 2003-08-09 11:16 John Davidorff Pell
From: John Davidorff Pell @ 2003-08-09 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Can qemu compile on a non-linux host? will it run? is it possible to
make it do this? or does the basic design of qemu make this impossible.
I'm running MacOSX (mach kernel w/ most of freebsd on top). is this any
kind of possible? :-)

thanx!

JP

--
Every time you share on a P2P network, God kills a kitten.
Please think of the kittens.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] non linux host?
@ 2003-08-09 11:27 ` Jocelyn Mayer
From: Jocelyn Mayer @ 2003-08-09 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 13:16, John Davidorff Pell wrote:
> Can qemu compile on a non-linux host? will it run? is it possible to
> make it do this? or does the basic design of qemu make this impossible.
> I'm running MacOSX (mach kernel w/ most of freebsd on top). is this any
> kind of possible? :-)
>
> thanx!
>
> JP

Could be possible with some work.

I tried to compile qemu on MacOS X some times ago.
There are some headers to adjust to make the core compile.
This can be done in a portable way, for all BSD flavors and should be
easy.

But the syscall and ioctl handlers must be rewrote.
This can be quite long and not so funny.
But there's no real problem to adapt it,
except that it hasn't been done yet !

The good point is that it can be done all through
the BSD API, taking no care that the kernel is a Mach one...

Just have to find the courageous one who'll do the work :-)

Regards

--
Jocelyn Mayer <l_indien@magic.fr>

* Re: [Qemu-devel] non linux host?
@ 2003-08-09 14:07   ` Gerhard Pfeiffer
From: Gerhard Pfeiffer @ 2003-08-09 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 01:27:32PM +0200, Jocelyn Mayer wrote:
> > Can qemu compile on a non-linux host? will it run? is it possible to
> > make it do this? or does the basic design of qemu make this impossible.
> > I'm running MacOSX (mach kernel w/ most of freebsd on top). is this any
> > kind of possible? :-)
> I tried to compile qemu on MacOS X some times ago.
> There are some headers to adjust to make the core compile.
> This can be done in a portable way, for all BSD flavors and should be
> easy.

Which headers are these? When I try to compile it, there seem to be some
elf-headers needed.

> But the syscall and ioctl handlers must be rewrote.
> This can be quite long and not so funny.
> But there's no real problem to adapt it,
> except that it hasn't been done yet !

in http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2003-07/msg00084.html Fabrice
said, that ELF binutils/gcc would be needed to compile some parts of qemu.
How to get ELF binutils/gcc in darwin? One would also need an
elf-compatible-libc to compile things with it, if I'm taken right.

> Just have to find the courageous one who'll do the work :-)

How about you? ;-)

--
Ciao,
  Gerhard

* Re: [Qemu-devel] non linux host?
@ 2003-08-09 14:32     ` Herbert Pötzl
From: Herbert Pötzl @ 2003-08-09 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerhard Pfeiffer; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 04:07:09PM +0200, Gerhard Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 01:27:32PM +0200, Jocelyn Mayer wrote:
> > > Can qemu compile on a non-linux host? will it run? is it possible to
> > > make it do this? or does the basic design of qemu make this impossible.
> > > I'm running MacOSX (mach kernel w/ most of freebsd on top). is this any
> > > kind of possible? :-)
> > I tried to compile qemu on MacOS X some times ago.
> > There are some headers to adjust to make the core compile.
> > This can be done in a portable way, for all BSD flavors and should be
> > easy.
>
> Which headers are these? When I try to compile it, there seem to be some
> elf-headers needed.
>
> > But the syscall and ioctl handlers must be rewrote.
> > This can be quite long and not so funny.
> > But there's no real problem to adapt it,
> > except that it hasn't been done yet !
>
> in http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2003-07/msg00084.html Fabrice
> said, that ELF binutils/gcc would be needed to compile some parts of qemu.
> How to get ELF binutils/gcc in darwin? One would also need an
> elf-compatible-libc to compile things with it, if I'm taken right.

what about the Fink Project?

best,
Herbert

> > Just have to find the courageous one who'll do the work :-)
>
> How about you? ;-)
>
> --
> Ciao,
>   Gerhard

* Re: [Qemu-devel] non linux host?
@ 2003-08-09 16:36       ` Gerhard Pfeiffer
From: Gerhard Pfeiffer @ 2003-08-09 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: herbert, qemu-devel

Hallo,

> > > But the syscall and ioctl handlers must be rewrote.
> > > This can be quite long and not so funny.
> > > But there's no real problem to adapt it,
> > > except that it hasn't been done yet !
> > in http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2003-07/msg00084.html Fabrice
> > said, that ELF binutils/gcc would be needed to compile some parts of qemu.
> > How to get ELF binutils/gcc in darwin? One would also need an
> > elf-compatible-libc to compile things with it, if I'm taken right.
> what about the Fink Project?

fink is an apt-like system for unix-tools ported to mac os x. These
packages get compiled with the gcc and binutils provided by apple and hence it
uses mach-o - Binaries.

--
Ciao,
  Gerhard

* Re: [Qemu-devel] non linux host?
@ 2003-08-11 16:33     ` Jocelyn Mayer
From: Jocelyn Mayer @ 2003-08-11 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 16:07, Gerhard Pfeiffer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 01:27:32PM +0200, Jocelyn Mayer wrote:
> > > Can qemu compile on a non-linux host? will it run? is it possible to
> > > make it do this? or does the basic design of qemu make this impossible.
> > > I'm running MacOSX (mach kernel w/ most of freebsd on top). is this any
> > > kind of possible? :-)
> > I tried to compile qemu on MacOS X some times ago.
> > There are some headers to adjust to make the core compile.
> > This can be done in a portable way, for all BSD flavors and should be
> > easy.
>
> Which headers are these? When I try to compile it, there seem to be some
> elf-headers needed.

the headers like linux/*.h or asm/*.h
have to be replaced with the right headers from machine/*.h
on BSD OSes.

> > But the syscall and ioctl handlers must be rewrote.
> > This can be quite long and not so funny.
> > But there's no real problem to adapt it,
> > except that it hasn't been done yet !
>
> in http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2003-07/msg00084.html Fabrice
> said, that ELF binutils/gcc would be needed to compile some parts of qemu.
> How to get ELF binutils/gcc in darwin? One would also need an
> elf-compatible-libc to compile things with it, if I'm taken right.

I think the libc won't be a problem, as long as GNU ld is supposed to be
able to link files of different binary formats.
I think you can produce ELF binaries with the Darwin's binutils,
but I didn't check that point. But you can still install antoher
binutils version, able to produce ELF and mach-O binaries,
if you compile them from the Apple tarball.

> > Just have to find the courageous one who'll do the work :-)
>
> How about you? ;-)

I'll think of it :-)
I already did something related to this.
I have a emulation for BSD under Linux.It's not complete and
works only qith simple programs...
But for now, I want to have a functional PPC emulation in qemu
and see it integrated before I start something like this.
It would be a good train for me to know better BSD and improve my BSD
emulator :=)

Regards.

--
Jocelyn Mayer <jma@netgem.com>

* Re: [Qemu-devel] non linux host?
@ 2003-08-11 22:40   ` Fabrice Bellard
From: Fabrice Bellard @ 2003-08-11 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Lionel Ulmer wrote:
>>as fabrice mentioned before (I just read the post thanx to gp@bnbt.de)
>>there is the darwine project. iThink that it would be of great benefit
>>to them and to qemu if some of the people here started talking to some
>>of the people there.
>

> Getting Wine merged with QEMU to get the 'X86 application running emulated -
> Wine DLLs natively' combo is way WAY harder to get working than just getting
> QEMU running on OS/X with the former 'emulating' the Linux syscalls using
> OS/X syscalls.
>
> The second option is just boring grunt work whereas the first one needs a
> lot more work and design thoughts...

I definitely agree :-)

Another point : if some people are really interested to get QEMU work on
MacOSX, a simpler task is to port 'vl' on MacOS X. 'vl' works currently
only on x86, but there is really no reason for it not to be portable.

'vl' has the potential of launching _any_ x86 OS on PowerPC as it
integrates now hardware level emulation for all the standard PC
components (except a sound card).

Currently Linux and Freedos can be launched. Soon, unpatched Linux
kernels, MSDOS and *bsd will run smoothly...

Fabrice.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] non linux host?
@ 2003-08-10 13:29 ` Lionel Ulmer
From: Lionel Ulmer @ 2003-08-10 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

> as fabrice mentioned before (I just read the post thanx to gp@bnbt.de)
> there is the darwine project. iThink that it would be of great benefit
> to them and to qemu if some of the people here started talking to some
> of the people there.

Getting Wine merged with QEMU to get the 'X86 application running emulated -
Wine DLLs natively' combo is way WAY harder to get working than just getting
QEMU running on OS/X with the former 'emulating' the Linux syscalls using
OS/X syscalls.

The second option is just boring grunt work whereas the first one needs a
lot more work and design thoughts...

         Lionel (the resident Wine coder :-) )

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/

* Re: [Qemu-devel] non linux host?
@ 2003-08-10  5:38 John Davidorff Pell
From: John Davidorff Pell @ 2003-08-10  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

I'm more than happy to help in any way I can to get this ported. but
I'm not really a programmer. If anyone out there wants to get this
started I'll test and even provide access to my OSX box (via ssh) if
necessary. :-)

as fabrice mentioned before (I just read the post thanx to gp@bnbt.de)
there is the darwine project. iThink that it would be of great benefit
to them and to qemu if some of the people here started talking to some
of the people there.

I'm thinking that if qemu and darwine can create a truly useful and
functional end product that apple might even get in on the game and
suddenly both projects will go mainstream. :-) I can dream can't I?

JP

--
God is dead, now the war shall never end.