* [Qemu-devel] wine needs freetype?
@ 2003-08-09 17:14 Jon Nall
From: Jon Nall @ 2003-08-09 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

so i got bold last night and tried to run a wine program (putty.exe),
but it crapped out with the following. anyone else seen this or know how
to fix it? i'm using the qemu-0.1.6-i386-wine.tar.gz from the website.

thanks.
nall.

nall@reykjavik> ./qemu  /usr/local/qemu-i386/wine/bin/wine /usr/local /qemu-i386/wine/c/Program\ Files/putty.exe /home/nall/qemu-cvs/test/qemu

Could not stat /mnt/fd0 (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
Could not stat /cdrom (No such file or directory), ignoring drive D:
qemu: Unsupported syscall: 186
qemu: Unsupported syscall: 186
Wine cannot find the FreeType font library.  To enable Wine to
use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
or equal to 2.0.5.
http://www.freetype.org
X Error of failed request:  145
Major opcode of failed request:  136 (XFree86-DGA)
Minor opcode of failed request:  0 (XDGAQueryVersion)
Serial number of failed request:  174

nall@reykjavik>echo $status
1

* Re: [Qemu-devel] wine needs freetype?
@ 2003-08-09 18:05 ` Fabrice Bellard
From: Fabrice Bellard @ 2003-08-09 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Maybe a problem related to Xfree DGA, not to Freetype.

Fabrice.

Jon Nall wrote:
> so i got bold last night and tried to run a wine program (putty.exe),
> but it crapped out with the following. anyone else seen this or know how
> to fix it? i'm using the qemu-0.1.6-i386-wine.tar.gz from the website.
>
> thanks.
> nall.
>
> nall@reykjavik> ./qemu  /usr/local/qemu-i386/wine/bin/wine /usr/local /qemu-i386/wine/c/Program\ Files/putty.exe /home/nall/qemu-cvs/test/qemu
>
> Could not stat /mnt/fd0 (No such file or directory), ignoring drive A:
> Could not stat /cdrom (No such file or directory), ignoring drive D:
> qemu: Unsupported syscall: 186
> qemu: Unsupported syscall: 186
> Wine cannot find the FreeType font library.  To enable Wine to
> use TrueType fonts please install a version of FreeType greater than
> or equal to 2.0.5.
> http://www.freetype.org
> X Error of failed request:  145
> Major opcode of failed request:  136 (XFree86-DGA)
> Minor opcode of failed request:  0 (XDGAQueryVersion)
> Serial number of failed request:  174
> Current serial number in output stream:  174
>
> nall@reykjavik>echo $status
> 1

Fabrice.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] wine needs freetype?
@ 2003-08-09 20:10   ` Jon Nall
From: Jon Nall @ 2003-08-09 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 08:05:16PM +0200, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
> Maybe a problem related to Xfree DGA, not to Freetype.

yep. if in the XF86Config "Module" section i replace
Load  "extmod"

with
SubSection  "extmod"
	Option  "omit xfree86-dga"
EndSubSection

putty.exe works great.

nall.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] wine needs freetype?
@ 2003-08-10  9:40     ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2003-08-10  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 22:10, Jon Nall wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 08:05:16PM +0200, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
> > Maybe a problem related to Xfree DGA, not to Freetype.
> >

> yep. if in the XF86Config "Module" section i replace
> Load  "extmod"
>
> with
> SubSection  "extmod"
> 	Option  "omit xfree86-dga"
> EndSubSection

It's simpler to disable use of DGA in WINE config file (I don't
have an example at hand, but it's rather easy, just grep for DGA
in your .wine) and that way, you don't disable DGA usage for
native X apps. There are a few other things in .wine that are
worth tweaking with qemu, like using the native window manager
etc...

Ben.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] wine needs freetype?
@ 2003-08-10 13:25       ` Lionel Ulmer
From: Lionel Ulmer @ 2003-08-10 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

> It's simpler to disable use of DGA in WINE config file (I don't
> have an example at hand, but it's rather easy, just grep for DGA
> in your .wine) and that way, you don't disable DGA usage for
> native X apps.

In your .wine/config file, in section [x11drv], uncomment (or add) the
following line :

; Use XFree86 DGA extension if present
"UseDGA" = "N"

               Lionel

--
		 Lionel Ulmer - http://www.bbrox.org/

* Re: [Qemu-devel] wine needs freetype?
@ 2003-08-11 19:58     ` Michel Dänzer
From: Michel Dänzer @ 2003-08-11 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 22:10, Jon Nall wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 08:05:16PM +0200, Fabrice Bellard wrote:
> > Maybe a problem related to Xfree DGA, not to Freetype.
>
> yep. if in the XF86Config "Module" section i replace
> Load  "extmod"
>
> with
> SubSection  "extmod"
> 	Option  "omit xfree86-dga"
> EndSubSection
>

> putty.exe works great.

FWIW, this is probably an endianness bug in the X server and/or the X
libraries - the byte order is probably assumed to be the same for server
and client for local connections. It might be a good idea to open a bug
in the XFree86 bugzilla for this.