* Re: your mail
@ 2003-08-27 16:02 ` William Lee Irwin III
From: William Lee Irwin III @ 2003-08-27 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: warudkar; +Cc: kernel, linux-kernel, Andrew Morton

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:25:23PM -0500, warudkar@vsnl.net wrote:
> Con - With swappiness set to 100, the apps do start up in 3 minutes and kswapd doesn't hog the CPU. But X is still unusable till all of them have started up.
> Wli - Sorry, vmstat segfaults on 2.6!

This is a bug in older versions of vmstat. Upgrade vmstat.

-- wli

* (no subject)
@ 2003-08-28  2:25 warudkar
From: warudkar @ 2003-08-28  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel, wli, linux-kernel; +Cc: Andrew Morton

kernel@kolivas.org wrote
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 07:38, warudkar@vsnl.net wrote:
> Trying out 2.6.0-test4-mm1. Inside KDE, I start OpenOffice.org, Rational
> Rose and Konsole at a time. All of these take extremely long time to
> startup. (approx > 5 minutes). Kswapd hogs the CPU all the time. X becomes
> unusable till all of them startup, although I can telnet and run top. Same
> thing run under 2.4.18 starts up in 3 minutes, X stays usable and kswapd
> never take more than 2% CPU.

Yes I can reproduce this with a memory heavy load as well on low memory
(linking at the end of a big kernel compile is standard problem). I actually
found the best workaround was to increase the swappiness instead of
decreasing it.

Try
echo 100 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

time it

then try
echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

you'll see that at low swappiness kswapd0 can use ridiculous amounts of cpu
trying to avoid swap. The default is 60.

Con