* Via 8235 rear sound
@ 2003-08-30  0:34 Gaston Gransis
From: Gaston Gransis @ 2003-08-30  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi everybody:
  i came hear as the last resource ... i have tried
with alsa mailing list, and nobody answered me ...
I installed this driver(kernel 2.6.0-test2) and
compiled all the alsa libraries.
When i play sound everything works great except for
the rear channel, and the center/lfe channel.

i have tried with
alsaplayer -d hw:0,1 but the sound stills go out in
the front channel(only).

 cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [V8235          ]: VIA8233 - VIA 8235
                     VIA 8235 at 0xe000, irq 5

 cat /proc/asound/card0/ac97#0
0-0/0: Avance Logic ALC650 rev 0

Capabilities     :
DAC resolution   : 20-bit
ADC resolution   : 18-bit
3D enhancement   : Realtek 3D Stereo Enhancement

Current setup
Mic gain         : +0dB [+0dB]
POP path         : pre 3D
Sim. stereo      : off
3D enhancement   : on
Loudness         : off
Mono output      : MIX
Mic select       : Mic1
ADC/DAC loopback : off
Extended ID      : codec=0 rev=1 AMAP LDAC SDAC CDAC
DSA=0 SPDIF DRA VRA
Extended status  : SPCV LDAC SDAC CDAC SPDIF=res SPDIF
VRA
PCM front DAC    : 48000Hz
PCM Surr DAC     : 48000Hz
PCM LFE DAC      : 48000Hz
PCM ADC          : 48000Hz
SPDIF Control    : Consumer PCM Copyright Category=0x2
Generation=1 Rate=48kHz

 cat /proc/asound/pcm
00-00: VIA 8235 : VIA 8235 : playback 4 : capture 1
00-01: VIA 8235 : VIA 8235 : playback 1 : capture 1

 cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 0.9.4
(Mon Jun 09 12:01:18 2003 UTC).
Compiled on Aug 25 2003 for kernel 2.6.0-test2.

 cat /proc/asound/devices
  0: [0- 0]: ctl
 17: [0- 1]: digital audio playback
 25: [0- 1]: digital audio capture
 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
 33:       : timer

Sorry if i bother anyone ... this is the last place on
earth.

Any help would be apreciated!
Thanks

------------
Internet GRATIS es Yahoo! Conexión
4004-1010 desde Buenos Aires. Usuario: yahoo; contraseña: yahoo
Más ciudades: http://conexion.yahoo.com.ar

* Re: Via 8235 rear sound
@ 2003-08-30  1:13 ` Ivan Gyurdiev
From: Ivan Gyurdiev @ 2003-08-30  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gaston Gransis; +Cc: linux-kernel

Gaston Gransis wrote:
> Hi everybody:
>   i came hear as the last resource ... i have tried
> with alsa mailing list, and nobody answered me ...
> I installed this driver(kernel 2.6.0-test2) and
> compiled all the alsa libraries.
> When i play sound everything works great except for
> the rear channel, and the center/lfe channel.

I have the exact same problem with the exact same card.
Rear/center channels are dead unless I duplicate front.
Has been there since before the 2.6 series.

>  cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 0.9.4
> (Mon Jun 09 12:01:18 2003 UTC).
> Compiled on Aug 25 2003 for kernel 2.6.0-test2.

Verified with:

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 0.9.6 (Mon Jul 28
11:08:42 2003 UTC).
Compiled on Aug 18 2003 for kernel 2.6.0-test3.

and alsa-lib 0.9.5

* Re: Via 8235 rear sound
@ 2003-08-30  1:16   ` Gaston Gransis
From: Gaston Gransis @ 2003-08-30  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Gyurdiev; +Cc: linux-kernel

any ideas?

@ 2003-08-30 18:25     ` Ivan Gyurdiev
From: Ivan Gyurdiev @ 2003-08-30 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gaston Gransis; +Cc: linux-kernel

Gaston Gransis wrote:
> any ideas?

Argh. Ignore confirmation of bug
Problem were some config settings and my ignorance.
5.1 seems to work with xine playing dvds - now have to figure out how to
balance it correctly :)