* 2.6.0-test5-mm3 VFAT File system problem
@ 2003-09-20 13:21 gaxt
From: gaxt @ 2003-09-20 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Upon moving from -mm2 to -mm3, my vfat filesystems did not automatically
bount at bootup as per the fstab and could not be accessed by
applications in Gnome ie. my mount point showed no subdirectories or files.

I could manually mount (not by mount /mnt/win_c but by the full mount -t
vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c) and I could explore using ls in terminals but
programs in Gnome could not open the filesystem.

Upon rebooting into -mm2 everything was fine again.

* Re: 2.6.0-test5-mm3 VFAT File system problem
@ 2003-09-21  4:51 ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2003-09-21  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gaxt; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:21:01 -0400 gaxt <gaxt@rogers.com> wrote:

| Upon moving from -mm2 to -mm3, my vfat filesystems did not automatically
| bount at bootup as per the fstab and could not be accessed by
| applications in Gnome ie. my mount point showed no subdirectories or files.
|
| I could manually mount (not by mount /mnt/win_c but by the full mount -t
| vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c) and I could explore using ls in terminals but
| programs in Gnome could not open the filesystem.
|
| Upon rebooting into -mm2 everything was fine again.

Please post your /etc/fstab file.

~Randy

* Re: 2.6.0-test5-mm3 VFAT File system problem
@ 2003-09-22 12:27   ` gaxt
From: gaxt @ 2003-09-22 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy.Dunlap; +Cc: linux-kernel

Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:21:01 -0400 gaxt <gaxt@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> | Upon moving from -mm2 to -mm3, my vfat filesystems did not automatically
> | bount at bootup as per the fstab and could not be accessed by
> | applications in Gnome ie. my mount point showed no subdirectories or files.
> |
> | I could manually mount (not by mount /mnt/win_c but by the full mount -t
> | vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c) and I could explore using ls in terminals but
> | programs in Gnome could not open the filesystem.
> |
> | Upon rebooting into -mm2 everything was fine again.
>
> Please post your /etc/fstab file.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> ~Randy

# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/fstab,v 1.10
2002/11/18 19:39:22 azarah Exp $
#
# noatime turns of atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of
storage
# efficiency).  It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail and tail freely.

         <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/hdb2               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime
         1 1
/dev/hdb4               /               reiserfs        noatime,notail
         0 0
/dev/hda2               /home           reiserfs        noatime,notail
         0 0
/dev/hdb3               none            swap            sw
         0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro
         0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom1      /mnt/cdrom1     iso9660         noauto,ro
         0 0
#/dev/sr0               /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro
         0 0
#/dev/sr1               /mnt/cdrom1     iso9660         noauto,ro
         0 0

#proc                   /proc           proc            defaults
         0 0
none                    /proc           proc            defaults
         0 0

/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy     msdos
noauto,users,umask=000  0 0

# Windows Drives
/dev/hda1               /mnt/win_c      vfat
noauto,users,umask=000  0 0
/dev/hdb1               /mnt/win_d      vfat
auto,users,umask=000    0 0

# Flash Card Readers
/dev/sda                /mnt/flash1     vfat
noauto,users,umask=000  0 0
/dev/sdb1               /mnt/flash2     vfat
noauto,users,umask=000  0 0
/dev/sdb                /mnt/flash3     vfat
noauto,users,umask=000  0 0

# NFS Drives on MOOMOO
192.168.1.101:/mnt/zip          /mnt/moozip     nfs
noauto,rw,hard,intr,users 0 0
192.168.1.101:/mnt/win_c        /mnt/mooc       nfs
noauto,rw,hard,intr,users 0 0
192.168.1.101:/home/moo_share   /mnt/moo_share  nfs
noauto,rw,hard,intr,users 0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink). Adding the following
# line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will use
almost no
#  memory if not populated with files)

#tmpfs                  /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults
         0 0
none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults
         0 0

#/dev/sdc2 /mnt/ipod vfat defaults,uid=500,gid=500,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/sdc2 /mnt/ipod vfat defaults,user,noauto 0 0

* Re: 2.6.0-test5-mm3 VFAT File system problem
@ 2003-09-20 18:56 ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2003-09-20 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Weber; +Cc: linux-kernel

Benjamin Weber <shawk@gmx.net> wrote:

> I can confirm this behavior.
>
>  I checked my fstab entry. Was saying:
>
>  /dev/hda5               /mnt/windows/D  vfat            rw,user,umask=0
>  0 0
>
>  After changing it to
>  /dev/hda5               /mnt/windows/D  vfat
>  rw,user,uid=1001,gid=100 0 0
>
>  I got it working again half of the time. Its strange. Sometimes I get
>  the message that only root can unmount it, even when I mounted it as
>  user.
>
>  Something is a little whacky there.

Any mount option of the form `foo=0' will fail, because the parser is
treating zero as an error.

I'll fix that up for -mm4, thanks.

* Re: 2.6.0-test5-mm3 VFAT File system problem
@ 2003-09-20 18:07 Benjamin Weber
From: Benjamin Weber @ 2003-09-20 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)