* Re: Vaio doesn't poweroff with 2.4.22
       [not found] <20030915224136.GA11666@k3.hellgate.ch>
@ 2003-09-20 13:17     ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2003-09-20 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Luethi
  Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,
	Linux Kernel Development, Geert Uytterhoeven

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Roger Luethi wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:43:56 +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > With 2.4.22, my Sony Vaio PCG-Z600TEK (s/600/505/ in US/JP) shows a regression
> > w.r.t. power management:
> >   - It doesn't poweroff anymore (screen contents are still there after the
> >     powering down message)
> >   - It doesn't reboot anymore (screen goes black, though)
> >   - It accidentally suspended to RAM once while I was actively working on it (I
> >     never managed to get suspend working, except for this `accident'). I didn't
> >     see any messages about this in the kernel log.
>
> On some machines APIC (sic) support can cause this. Try turning off UP APIC
> if you have it turned on.

If I turn off CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC I get:

| ACPI disabled because your bios is from 00 and too old
| You can enable it with acpi=force
| Sony Vaio laptop detected.

and ACPI is disabled. Halt doesn't work.

If I then pass `acpi=force' to explicitly enable ACPI, `halt' works again and
powers off the machine, but `reboot' causes a black screen with IDE disk spun
down, but no restart.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert-Td1EMuHUCqxL1ZNQvxDV9g@public.gmane.org

							    -- Linus Torvalds

From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2003-09-20 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roger Luethi; +Cc: acpi-devel, Linux Kernel Development, Geert Uytterhoeven

@ 2003-09-20 13:58         ` Willy Tarreau
From: Willy Tarreau @ 2003-09-20 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven
  Cc: Roger Luethi, acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,
	Linux Kernel Development

On Sat, Sep 20, 2003 at 03:17:37PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> If I turn off CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC I get:
>
> | ACPI disabled because your bios is from 00 and too old
> | You can enable it with acpi=force
> | Sony Vaio laptop detected.
>
> and ACPI is disabled. Halt doesn't work.
>
> If I then pass `acpi=force' to explicitly enable ACPI, `halt' works again and
> powers off the machine, but `reboot' causes a black screen with IDE disk spun
> down, but no restart.

Strangely, the problem you describe here what I got with local APIC enabled,
on a Vaio PCG-FX705 (athlon 1.3G). I think I will retry with a recent kernel
to be sure these problems vanished.

Regards,
Willy

From: Willy Tarreau @ 2003-09-20 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: Roger Luethi, acpi-devel, Linux Kernel Development

@ 2003-09-21 14:50         ` Jos Hulzink
From: Jos Hulzink @ 2003-09-21 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven, Roger Luethi
  Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f, Linux Kernel Development

On Saturday 20 Sep 2003 15:17, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> If I turn off CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC I get:
> | ACPI disabled because your bios is from 00 and too old
> | You can enable it with acpi=force
> | Sony Vaio laptop detected.
>
> and ACPI is disabled. Halt doesn't work.
>
> If I then pass `acpi=force' to explicitly enable ACPI, `halt' works again
> and powers off the machine, but `reboot' causes a black screen with IDE
> disk spun down, but no restart.
>
> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

My PIII 650 with 2000 BIOS boots linux with acpi disabled for the same reason,
unless force ACPI support. It reboots fine with ACPI forced. The ACPI support
of this Intel BX mobo is good, so this is a false negative IMHO. (I wonder if
the check is correct, shouldn't it say 2000 instead of 00 ?)

Jos

From: Jos Hulzink @ 2003-09-21 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven, Roger Luethi; +Cc: acpi-devel, Linux Kernel Development

On Saturday 20 Sep 2003 15:17, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> If I turn off CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC I get:
> | ACPI disabled because your bios is from 00 and too old
> | You can enable it with acpi=force
> | Sony Vaio laptop detected.
>
> and ACPI is disabled. Halt doesn't work.
>
> If I then pass `acpi=force' to explicitly enable ACPI, `halt' works again
> and powers off the machine, but `reboot' causes a black screen with IDE
> disk spun down, but no restart.
>
> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

My PIII 650 with 2000 BIOS boots linux with acpi disabled for the same reason,
unless force ACPI support. It reboots fine with ACPI forced. The ACPI support
of this Intel BX mobo is good, so this is a false negative IMHO. (I wonder if
the check is correct, shouldn't it say 2000 instead of 00 ?)

Jos

* Re: Re: Vaio doesn't poweroff with 2.4.22
       [not found]     ` <Pine.GSO.4.21.0309191053140.4488-100000-Q9iLAqk50tFNk+PO8Cj175kigfUh6rMo@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-09-21 15:40       ` Markus Gaugusch
From: Markus Gaugusch @ 2003-09-21 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Sep 20, Geert Uytterhoeven <geert-Td1EMuHUCqxL1ZNQvxDV9g@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> If I then pass `acpi=force' to explicitly enable ACPI, `halt' works
> again and powers off the machine, but `reboot' causes a black screen
> with IDE disk spun down, but no restart.
This "reboot-problem" is caused if you have APIC enabled (don't confuse
with ACPI!). See my homepage http://gaugusch.at/vaio/

Markus
Welcome to geek heaven.
http://thinkgeek.com/sf

* Re: Vaio doesn't poweroff with 2.4.22
@ 2003-09-22  6:44             ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2003-09-22  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jos Hulzink
  Cc: Roger Luethi, acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,
	Linux Kernel Development

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Jos Hulzink wrote:
> On Saturday 20 Sep 2003 15:17, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > If I turn off CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC I get:
> > | ACPI disabled because your bios is from 00 and too old
> > | You can enable it with acpi=force
> > | Sony Vaio laptop detected.
> >
> > and ACPI is disabled. Halt doesn't work.
> >
> > If I then pass `acpi=force' to explicitly enable ACPI, `halt' works again
> > and powers off the machine, but `reboot' causes a black screen with IDE
> > disk spun down, but no restart.
> >
> > Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
> My PIII 650 with 2000 BIOS boots linux with acpi disabled for the same reason,
> unless force ACPI support. It reboots fine with ACPI forced. The ACPI support
> of this Intel BX mobo is good, so this is a false negative IMHO. (I wonder if
> the check is correct, shouldn't it say 2000 instead of 00 ?)

If year < 90 it adds 2000 so that's OK. But the code needs ACPI from 2001 or
more recent, so my BIOS from 2000 fails...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2003-09-22  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jos Hulzink; +Cc: Roger Luethi, acpi-devel, Linux Kernel Development

@ 2003-09-23 12:23         ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-09-23 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven
  Cc: Roger Luethi, acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,
	Linux Kernel Development

Hi!

> > On some machines APIC (sic) support can cause this. Try turning off UP APIC
> > if you have it turned on.
>
> If I turn off CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC I get:
>
> | ACPI disabled because your bios is from 00 and too old
> | You can enable it with acpi=force
> | Sony Vaio laptop detected.
>
> and ACPI is disabled. Halt doesn't work.
>
> If I then pass _acpi=force' to explicitly enable ACPI, _halt' works again and
> powers off the machine, but _reboot' causes a black screen with IDE disk spun
> down, but no restart.

If acpi is actually usefull there, we might want to whitelist it.
Try other reboot methods...
--
				Pavel
Written on sharp zaurus, because my Velo1 broke. If you have Velo you don't need...

From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-09-23 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: Roger Luethi, acpi-devel, Linux Kernel Development

Hi!

@ 2003-10-15 17:26 Adam Kessel
From: Adam Kessel @ 2003-10-15 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

There are apparently several HP OmniBook models that don't poweroff with
ACPI under 2.4.22 as well.

HP hasn't released a new BIOS for the OmniBook 500 since pre-2001, so I
have to boot with acpi=force.

Up through 2.4.22rc2 the OB500 shut down fine with ACPI.  Somewhere in
between 2.4.22rc2 and 2.4.22 ACPI shut down stopped working. With
2.4.23-pre7, it still doesn't work.

Reboot, however, works fine.

Does anyone know what change occurred between 2.4.22rc2 and 2.4.22 that
would have caused the power down to stop working?
--
Adam Kessel
http://bostoncoop.net/adam

* Re: Vaio doesn't poweroff with 2.4.22
@ 2003-09-17 12:46                 ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2003-09-17 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f, Linux Kernel Development

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > It suspended to RAM... Did it also *resume* correctly?
> >
> > Yes, since I could continue working without problems (except for lost Ethernet,
> > solved by ifdown -a/ifup -a).
>
> And was that acpi or apm? If it was acpi you saw a little miracle.

ACPI.

BTW, I just started to see other weird things that may be related to ACPI, but
aren't related to Linux (machine powers down 1 second after power up, etc.),
but now it's fine again (running 2.4.21).

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2003-09-17 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: acpi-devel, Linux Kernel Development

@ 2003-09-17 10:31             ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-09-17 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven
  Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f, Linux Kernel Development

Hi!

> > > With 2.4.22, my Sony Vaio PCG-Z600TEK (s/600/505/ in US/JP) shows a regression
> > > w.r.t. power management:
> > >   - It doesn't poweroff anymore (screen contents are still there after the
> > >     powering down message)
> > >   - It doesn't reboot anymore (screen goes black, though)
> > >   - It accidentally suspended to RAM once while I was actively working on it (I
> > >     never managed to get suspend working, except for this `accident'). I didn't
> > >     see any messages about this in the kernel log.
> >
> > It suspended to RAM... Did it also *resume* correctly?
>
> Yes, since I could continue working without problems (except for lost Ethernet,
> solved by ifdown -a/ifup -a).

And was that acpi or apm? If it was acpi you saw a little miracle.

									Pavel

[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]

From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-09-17 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: acpi-devel, Linux Kernel Development

Hi!

@ 2003-09-17  9:21         ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2003-09-17  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f, Linux Kernel Development

From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2003-09-17  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: acpi-devel, Linux Kernel Development

@ 2003-09-16 20:06     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-09-16 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven
  Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f, Linux Kernel Development

Hi!

From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-09-16 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: acpi-devel, Linux Kernel Development

Hi!

@ 2003-09-15  7:09         ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2003-09-15  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
  Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f, Linux Kernel Development

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:43:56 +0200 (MEST), Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> >With 2.4.22, my Sony Vaio PCG-Z600TEK (s/600/505/ in US/JP) shows a regression
> >w.r.t. power management:
> >  - It doesn't poweroff anymore (screen contents are still there after the
> >    powering down message)
> >  - It doesn't reboot anymore (screen goes black, though)
> >  - It accidentally suspended to RAM once while I was actively working on it (I
> >    never managed to get suspend working, except for this `accident'). I didn't
> >    see any messages about this in the kernel log.
> >
> >Relevant config options for 2.4.22:
> >| tux$ grep acpi .config
> >| # ACPI Support
> >| CONFIG_ACPI=y
> >| # CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY is not set
> >| CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
> >| CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
> >| CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
> >| CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
> >| CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
> >| CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
> >| CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
> >| CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
> >| CONFIG_ACPI_AC=y
> >| CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=y
> >| CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
> >| CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
> >| CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
> >| CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
> >| # CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS is not set
> >| # CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA is not set
> >| CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG=y
> >| # CONFIG_ACPI_RELAXED_AML is not set
> >| tux$
> >
> >If you need more information or want me to ttry something, please ask!
>
>  you have activate this opcion?
> CONFIG_PM=y
>
> without this my machine don't poweroff after halt.

Yes I have.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

--

-

From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2003-09-15  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi; +Cc: acpi-devel, Linux Kernel Development

@ 2003-09-15  7:03     ` Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi
From: Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi @ 2003-09-15  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven
  Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f,
	linux-kernel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:43:56 +0200 (MEST), Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>	Hi,
>
>With 2.4.22, my Sony Vaio PCG-Z600TEK (s/600/505/ in US/JP) shows a regression
>w.r.t. power management:
>  - It doesn't poweroff anymore (screen contents are still there after the
>    powering down message)
>  - It doesn't reboot anymore (screen goes black, though)
>  - It accidentally suspended to RAM once while I was actively working on it (I
>    never managed to get suspend working, except for this `accident'). I didn't
>    see any messages about this in the kernel log.
>
>Relevant config options for 2.4.22:
>| tux$ grep acpi .config
>| # ACPI Support
>| CONFIG_ACPI=y
>| # CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY is not set
>| CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
>| CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
>| CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
>| CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
>| CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
>| CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
>| CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
>| CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
>| CONFIG_ACPI_AC=y
>| CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=y
>| CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
>| CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
>| CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
>| CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
>| # CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS is not set
>| # CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA is not set
>| CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG=y
>| # CONFIG_ACPI_RELAXED_AML is not set
>| tux$
>
>If you need more information or want me to ttry something, please ask!

Hi,

 you have activate this opcion?
CONFIG_PM=y

without this my machine don't poweroff after halt.

chau,
 djgera

--
Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi ( djgera )
http://www.vmlinuz.com.ar http://www.djgera.com.ar

From: Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi @ 2003-09-15  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven; +Cc: acpi-devel, linux-kernel

@ 2003-09-15  6:43 ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2003-09-15  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f; +Cc: Linux Kernel Development

	Hi,

With 2.4.22, my Sony Vaio PCG-Z600TEK (s/600/505/ in US/JP) shows a regression
w.r.t. power management:
  - It doesn't poweroff anymore (screen contents are still there after the
    powering down message)
  - It doesn't reboot anymore (screen goes black, though)
  - It accidentally suspended to RAM once while I was actively working on it (I
    never managed to get suspend working, except for this `accident'). I didn't
    see any messages about this in the kernel log.

Relevant config options for 2.4.22:
| tux$ grep acpi .config
| # ACPI Support
| CONFIG_ACPI=y
| # CONFIG_ACPI_HT_ONLY is not set
| CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_AC=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
| # CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS is not set
| # CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA is not set
| CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG=y
| # CONFIG_ACPI_RELAXED_AML is not set
| tux$

Relevant config options for 2.4.21, which does poweroff/reboot without
problems:
| tux$ grep acpi .config
| # CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI is not set
| CONFIG_ACPI=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_BUSMGR=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_SYS=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_CPU=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_AC=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_CMBATT=y
| CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=y
| tux$

If you need more information or want me to ttry something, please ask!

Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2003-09-15  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)