* scripts for adding rulesets for performance testing?
@ 2003-10-09 21:14 Kristen Carlson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Kristen Carlson @ 2003-10-09 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter-devel

Hi there.  I'm doing some performance testing of iptables with increasing
rulesets and am wondering if anybody already has some scripts for adding
rules (many many rules) that they would like to share?  I noticed in the
archives that the nf-hipac folks had posted a link to a script they had used
for their performance testing which seemed to do exactly what I wanted,
but the link is busted.
Thanks,
Kristen

--
WWXD (What Would Xena Do?)

* Re: scripts for adding rulesets for performance testing?
@ 2003-10-10  7:29 ` Willy Tarreau
From: Willy Tarreau @ 2003-10-10  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristen Carlson; +Cc: netfilter-devel

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 02:14:52PM -0700, Kristen Carlson wrote:
> Hi there.  I'm doing some performance testing of iptables with increasing
> rulesets and am wondering if anybody already has some scripts for adding
> rules (many many rules) that they would like to share?  I noticed in the
> archives that the nf-hipac folks had posted a link to a script they had used
> for their performance testing which seemed to do exactly what I wanted,
> but the link is busted.

If your problem is "how to load a very high number of rules in a limited time",
then I strongly suggest that you use iptables-restore, which will load them
instantly at once. I have a ppro200 somewhere which takes less than a second
to load 4000 nat rules with it, while loading iptables for each of them took
ages (>15mn).

If your problem is "how to generate a lot of non-matching rules", then a simple
for() loop in shell, possibly including randoms will do the trick.

Hoping this helps
Willy

* Re: scripts for adding rulesets for performance testing?
@ 2003-10-10 20:22 ` Harald Welte
From: Harald Welte @ 2003-10-10 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristen Carlson; +Cc: netfilter-devel

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 02:14:52PM -0700, Kristen Carlson wrote:
> Hi there.  I'm doing some performance testing of iptables with increasing
> rulesets and am wondering if anybody already has some scripts for adding
> rules (many many rules) that they would like to share?  I noticed in the
> archives that the nf-hipac folks had posted a link to a script they had used
> for their performance testing which seemed to do exactly what I wanted,
> but the link is busted.

please contact them at the email address given on their homepage.  I am
sure they are very willing to fix that broken link.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@netfilter.org>             http://www.netfilter.org/

* Re: scripts for adding rulesets for performance testing?
@ 2003-11-04 11:46 ` Roberto Nibali
From: Roberto Nibali @ 2003-11-04 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kristen Carlson; +Cc: netfilter-devel

Hi,

> Hi there.  I'm doing some performance testing of iptables with increasing
> rulesets and am wondering if anybody already has some scripts for adding
> rules (many many rules) that they would like to share?  I noticed in the
> archives that the nf-hipac folks had posted a link to a script they had used
> for their performance testing which seemed to do exactly what I wanted,
> but the link is busted.

Ok, it's up again, DNS hasn't been propagated yet. The link to the
script, in case you still need it, is:

http://69.55.226.176/~ratz/genrules.sh

I hope to continue my test conducts with the recent development all in
netfilter, nf-hipac, tc action and OpenBSD pf.

Best regards,
Roberto Nibali, ratz
--
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq'|dc