* [linux-lvm] lvmcreate_initrd: depmod without -F?
@ 2003-10-09  8:18 Brian J. Murrell
From: Brian J. Murrell @ 2003-10-09  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

I am trying to create an LVM aware initrd on Debian stable (a.k.a.
Woody, 3.0) and running into a problem.  The problem is so basic though,
that I must be missing something somewhere else.

I have built and installed a new kernel, but not yet booted it (because
I need the initrd to boot it).  When I try to create the initrd with
"lvmcreate_initrd <KVER>" it complains:

lvmcreate_initrd -- ERROR running depmod

When I try to run depmod just as the script does (depmod -a <KVER>) it
indeed does error out with a bunch of unresolved symbols.  But they are
symbols provided by the kernel and hence the command "depmod -F
/boot/System.map-<KVER> <KVER>" is successful.

How/why does this work for everyone else?  If this were a bug (not
passing the System.map to depmod) as I outline it above, surely it would
have been fixed by now.

b.

Brian J. Murrell

* Re: [linux-lvm] lvmcreate_initrd: depmod without -F?
@ 2003-10-09  8:24 ` Patrick Caulfield
From: Patrick Caulfield @ 2003-10-09  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 11:06:42AM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> I am trying to create an LVM aware initrd on Debian stable (a.k.a.
> Woody, 3.0) and running into a problem.  The problem is so basic though,
> that I must be missing something somewhere else.
>
> I have built and installed a new kernel, but not yet booted it (because
> I need the initrd to boot it).  When I try to create the initrd with
> "lvmcreate_initrd <KVER>" it complains:
>
> lvmcreate_initrd -- ERROR running depmod
>
> When I try to run depmod just as the script does (depmod -a <KVER>) it
> indeed does error out with a bunch of unresolved symbols.  But they are
> symbols provided by the kernel and hence the command "depmod -F
> /boot/System.map-<KVER> <KVER>" is successful.
>
> How/why does this work for everyone else?  If this were a bug (not
> passing the System.map to depmod) as I outline it above, surely it would
> have been fixed by now.

It has, but it's not in Debian stable, it's in Debian testing and unstable.

patrick

* Re: [linux-lvm] lvmcreate_initrd: depmod without -F?
@ 2003-10-10  8:15   ` Brian J. Murrell
From: Brian J. Murrell @ 2003-10-10  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 09:23, Patrick Caulfield wrote:

> It has, but it's not in Debian stable, it's in Debian testing and unstable.

<tic>Oh, good 'ol Debian.</tic>

Maybe I will nag the maintainer to put at least this bugfix into stable.

~sigh~

@ 2003-10-10  8:23     ` Patrick Caulfield
From: Patrick Caulfield @ 2003-10-10  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 07:05:47AM -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 09:23, Patrick Caulfield wrote:
> >
> > It has, but it's not in Debian stable, it's in Debian testing and unstable.
>
> <tic>Oh, good 'ol Debian.</tic>
>
> Maybe I will nag the maintainer to put at least this bugfix into stable.
>
> ~sigh~

Actually, it is in woody-proposed-updates but whether it will actually arrive in
woody itself is up to the release manager.

--

patrick

* RE: [linux-lvm] lvmcreate_initrd: depmod without -F?
@ 2003-10-13  8:07       ` Renee Lee
From: Renee Lee @ 2003-10-13  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

I have been watching this group as I use Linux with LVM.
For the last several months I have been deleting any
and all messages that have an attachment as this is the
primary way your system can be infected by virus.

I suggest all members do not send attachments as this will make it
easer to tell if another on the list is infected.

Dana-Renee Lee
Anadromada.net

@ 2003-10-14  6:40         ` Brian J. Murrell
From: Brian J. Murrell @ 2003-10-14  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)