* RE: List active ?
@ 2003-10-11 12:36 Oliver Pitzeier
From: Oliver Pitzeier @ 2003-10-11 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Bort, George France, Oliver Pitzeier, James Stevenson; +Cc: linux-alpha

Hi Alan!

> And lets be realistic, there are not many Alpha left in this
> world, and the peoplke in the position of having one do not need
> much help... I mean, alphaservers are usually used in big companies
> to handle databases or stuff, so, the admins of those servers
> really know a lot about these things, or at least know how to
> investigate... so they don't use the lists unless it's
> necessary.

Yes, that's true... We are a rather small company - I would say. But I'm the Alpha guy, and I do only use the list if my head is burning. :-) I guess you know what I mean!

> Besides, It's nice that this list is low traffic, otherwise
> it would be a little disencouraging for users to subscribe
> (gettin 50 mails a day... and most of them mails you are not
> interested on reading is really annoying... don't you think?)

You mean like on LKML? Getting about 10 thousand mails a month. :) Reading 'em all is really impossible... I know it, I tried.... :-P

Best,
 Olive

* Re: List active ?
@ 2003-10-11 16:48 ` George France
From: George France @ 2003-10-11 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Pitzeier, Alan Bort, James Stevenson; +Cc: linux-alpha

On Saturday 11 October 2003 08:41 am, Oliver Pitzeier wrote:
> Hi George!
>
> > On Friday 10 October 2003 11:17 pm, Alan Bort wrote:
> > > And lets be realistic, there are not many Alpha left in this world,
> >
> > There are many Alphas remaining.  Many that run Linux.  Many
> > more that run Tru64 and OpenVMS.  You can still buy shinny new
> > alpha systems.
>
> But what for should anyone buy alphas today? If they need 64-bit, they buy
> Itanium, which is cheaper... If they need good performance, they buy a
> four-way-Xeon-system - which _is_ faster than a ES45 for example....

I think you might want to recheck those benchmarks. :-)

> > Alpha is  going away, but it is not gone yet.
>
> HP is letting Alpha die... They didn't annouce the newest alpha-chip a few
> months ago (EV78!?)...
>
> [ ... ]
>
> > or they have service agreements with HP.
>
> Or still some old Compaq service level agreements... :-P But they do not
> know much about Linux on Alpha... At least here in Austria......

You can purchase a support contract today from HP.  If you have any problems
doing so, please let me know.  I would be happy to contact my service
Representative and get you the proper paperwork.  :-)  It may be true that in
Austria, that they do not know much about Linux on Alpha, but if you have a
service agreement, you can have your service request pushed up to the next
higher level.  Eventually your issue will reach Nashua, NH in the USA were
there are people that know about Linux and the Alpha Architecture.

Best Regards,

--George

* Re: List active ?
@ 2003-10-11 15:34 ` Jan-Benedict Glaw
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw @ 2003-10-11 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-alpha

On Sat, 2003-10-11 14:41:59 +0200, Oliver Pitzeier <oliver@linux-kernel.at>
wrote in message <200310111244.h9BCi7QD021471@indianer.linux-kernel.at>:
> Hi George!
>
> > On Friday 10 October 2003 11:17 pm, Alan Bort wrote:
> > > And lets be realistic, there are not many Alpha left in this world,
> >
> > There are many Alphas remaining.  Many that run Linux.  Many
> > more that run Tru64 and OpenVMS.  You can still buy shinny new
> > alpha systems.
>
> But what for should anyone buy alphas today? If they need 64-bit, they buy Itanium, which is cheaper... If they need good performance, they buy a four-way-Xeon-system - which _is_ faster than a ES45 for example....

Try to get a SMP box in the *really* high performance area. A 32 CPU
Itanium (is something like that available) won't for sure outperform
today's fastest Alpha. At some time, price isn't a question. Only raw
performance... Then, you buy Alpha, MIPS, UltraSparc, PA-RISC.

> > Alpha is  going away, but it is not gone yet.
>
> HP is letting Alpha die... They didn't annouce the newest alpha-chip a few months ago (EV78!?)...

Indeed. Alpha is dieing. However, HP is quite in problems there.
Nowadays, they have i386, Itanium, Alpha and their own processor,
PA-RISC...

MfG, JBG

* RE: List active ?
@ 2003-10-11 12:41 Oliver Pitzeier
From: Oliver Pitzeier @ 2003-10-11 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George France, Alan Bort, James Stevenson; +Cc: linux-alpha

Hi George!

> On Friday 10 October 2003 11:17 pm, Alan Bort wrote:
> > And lets be realistic, there are not many Alpha left in this world,
>
> There are many Alphas remaining.  Many that run Linux.  Many
> more that run Tru64 and OpenVMS.  You can still buy shinny new
> alpha systems.

But what for should anyone buy alphas today? If they need 64-bit, they buy Itanium, which is cheaper... If they need good performance, they buy a four-way-Xeon-system - which _is_ faster than a ES45 for example....

> Alpha is  going away, but it is not gone yet.

HP is letting Alpha die... They didn't annouce the newest alpha-chip a few months ago (EV78!?)...

[ ... ]
> or they have service agreements with HP.

Or still some old Compaq service level agreements... :-P But they do not know much about Linux on Alpha... At least here in Austria......

[ ... ]

> I do like low volume lists, but the volume is so low at
> times, I tend to miss most of the messages.

Yes, but now there _is_ traffic... :-P

Best,
 Olive

* Re: List active ?
@ 2003-10-11  3:17   ` Alan Bort

From: George France @ 2003-10-11  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Bort, Oliver Pitzeier, James Stevenson; +Cc: linux-alpha

On Friday 10 October 2003 11:17 pm, Alan Bort wrote:
> And lets be realistic, there are not many Alpha left in this world,

There are many Alphas remaining.  Many that run Linux.  Many more that run
Tru64 and OpenVMS.  You can still buy shinny new alpha systems. Alpha is

@ 2003-10-10 21:09 ` George France
From: George France @ 2003-10-10 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Pitzeier, James Stevenson; +Cc: linux-alpha

@ 2003-09-29 10:21     ` Matti Aarnio
From: Matti Aarnio @ 2003-09-29 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Stevenson; +Cc: Balint Cristian, linux-alpha

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 10:25:57AM +0100, James Stevenson wrote:
> Well i did have a link failure on both the primary / backup
> mail s server for a short time < 1 day mayby it managed
> to boounce me off the list then.
>
> time to try to get back on.
> how long is a normal response to the list-owner
> i dont think it will le me subscibe my list address ?

  The  linux-alpha  list has been very quiet for a long time.
  On the other hand, there is no @stev.org addresses at the
  linux-alpha list at the moment.

  list-owner (linux-alpha-owner) is essentially a black hole.
  However   majordomo@vger.kernel.org  will help you.
  See  http://vger.kernel.org/  for more info.
  (Or what is quoted in the footer of your letter thru the list.)

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Balint Cristian wrote:
>
> > Dont know but i am curious too.
> >
> > On Monday 29 September 2003 00:39, James Stevenson wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > is this list still active i have not seen a post in weeks ?
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > 	James
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-alpha" in

/Matti Aarnio

* Re: List active ?
@ 2003-09-29  9:25   ` James Stevenson
From: James Stevenson @ 2003-09-29  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Balint Cristian; +Cc: linux-alpha

@ 2003-09-29  9:08   ` Oliver Pitzeier
From: Oliver Pitzeier @ 2003-09-29  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Balint Cristian', 'James Stevenson', linux-alpha

> Dont know but i am curious too.

Seems the list is resurrecting at the moment :) Because of errors while
compiling -test6. Nice! There should be more compile-time errors.... :)

Best,
 Oliver

* Re: List active ?
@ 2003-09-29  8:46 ` Balint Cristian
From: Balint Cristian @ 2003-09-29  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Stevenson, linux-alpha

@ 2003-09-29  7:28 Oliver Pitzeier
From: Oliver Pitzeier @ 2003-09-29  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Stevenson; +Cc: linux-alpha

> is this list still active i have not seen a post in weeks ?

Yes it is, but it's quite quiet, because most mail-traffic goes through LKML itself...

Best,
 Oliver

* List active ?
@ 2003-09-28 21:39 James Stevenson