* Vortex 3c900 passing driver parameters
@ 2003-10-14 16:32 Karel Kulhavý
From: Karel Kulhavý @ 2003-10-14 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello

How do I do a ether=... (kernel boot-time) equivalent of
insmod 3c59x.o options=0x201 full_duplex=1 ?

I have been looking in Documentation/networking/vortex.txt
and make htmldocs, also on the driver homepage at Scyld and found
it on none of these places.

Cl<

* Re: Vortex 3c900 passing driver parameters
@ 2003-10-14 23:49 ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2003-10-14 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karel Kulhavý; +Cc: linux-kernel

Karel Kulhavý <clock@twibright.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> How do I do a ether=... (kernel boot-time) equivalent of
> insmod 3c59x.o options=0x201 full_duplex=1 ?

Unfortunately you cannot.  `ether=' is broken for all drivers which use the
new(ish) alloc_etherdev() API.

It is due to ordering problems: the name of the interface is not known at
the time of parsing the setup info and nobody has got down and worked out
how to fix it.

* Re: Vortex 3c900 passing driver parameters
@ 2003-10-15  4:38   ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2003-10-15  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Morton; +Cc: linux-kernel, clock

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:13:16 -0700 Andrew Morton <akpm@osdl.org> wrote:

| "Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap@osdl.org> wrote:
| >
| > Andrew Morton wrote:

| > |
| > | Unfortunately you cannot.  `ether=' is broken for all drivers which use the
| > | new(ish) alloc_etherdev() API.
| > |
| > | It is due to ordering problems: the name of the interface is not known at
| > | the time of parsing the setup info and nobody has got down and worked out
| > | how to fix it.
| >
| > Does this ordering problem apply to both 2.4.current and 2.6.0-test?
|
| Well it was a problem a year or so ago.
|
| But init_netdev()'s call to netdev_boot_setup_check() looks like it
| should fix things up, so I'm not sure what's going on...

[I'm looking at 2.4.22 since that is where the problem was reported.]

I don't see anything in 3c59x.c that calls init_netdev().
vortex_probe1() calls alloc_etherdev().
It doesn't call init_etherdev() -> init_netdev(),
AFAICT. ??

But I agree with you, I think there is still an ordering problem.

--
~Randy

* Re: Vortex 3c900 passing driver parameters
@ 2003-10-15  4:13 ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2003-10-15  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy.Dunlap; +Cc: linux-kernel, clock

@ 2003-10-15  3:57 Randy.Dunlap