* RE: iptables1.2.7 + pptp + rh9
@ 2003-10-21 22:06 Daniel Chemko
       [not found] ` <7C9884991ADAE0479C14F10C858BCDF52E375B@alderaan.smgtec.com >
From: Daniel Chemko @ 2003-10-21 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Barrocal, netfilter

Um, yeah. You need to compile the userspace tools against the kernel
that you are installing.

From: Fernando Barrocal @ 2003-10-21 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Chemko, netfilter

Let me ask another question ... a newbie one ...

Is that order correct ?

- apply pptp patch
- compile iptables
- compile kernel (config, dep, clean, image, modules)

At 20:06 21/10/2003, Daniel Chemko wrote:
>Um, yeah. You need to compile the userspace tools against the kernel
>that you are installing.

* Re: iptables1.2.7 + pptp + rh9
@ 2003-10-22  1:00     ` Venkatesh. K
From: Venkatesh. K @ 2003-10-22  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Chemko, netfilter, Fernando Barrocal

> Let me ask another question ... a newbie one ...
>
> Is that order correct ?
>
> - apply pptp patch
> - compile iptables
> - compile kernel (config, dep, clean, image, modules)

Apply patch
Compile Kernel
Compile IPtables

Venkatesh K

> At 20:06 21/10/2003, Daniel Chemko wrote:
> >Um, yeah. You need to compile the userspace tools against the kernel
> >that you are installing.

* Re: iptables1.2.7 + pptp + rh9
@ 2003-10-22 19:55       ` Arnt Karlsen
From: Arnt Karlsen @ 2003-10-22 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:30:13 +0530,
"Venkatesh. K" <venkatesh@cbayscribe.com> wrote in message
<009501c39837$e1883850$2800a8c0@karu>:

> [...]

..ahem; compile kernel (config, dep, clean,  modules, image)

> Compile IPtables

..was also possible possible to apply the pptp patch woih the
"kernelmod" package from poptop.sf.net, last time I checked.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three:

* Re: iptables1.2.7 + pptp + rh9
@ 2003-10-23 11:45         ` Arnt Karlsen
From: Arnt Karlsen @ 2003-10-23 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnt Karlsen; +Cc: netfilter

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:55:49 +0200,
Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote in message
<20031022215549.4b028338.arnt@c2i.net>:

> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:30:13 +0530,
> "Venkatesh. K" <venkatesh@cbayscribe.com> wrote in message
> <009501c39837$e1883850$2800a8c0@karu>:

..note to self: first sleep, then wake up and post:
..ahem; compile kernel (config, dep, clean,  modules, install)

> > Compile IPtables
>
> ..was also possible possible to apply the pptp patch woih the
> "kernelmod" package from poptop.sf.net, last time I checked.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three:

* SO HOW! iptables: invalid argument
@ 2003-10-25 13:40           ` John Paul
From: John Paul @ 2003-10-25 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hello Folks,

Just want to find the real answer with this. sorry but ans to google is not
clear for me. I did upgrade my iptables to iptables-1.2.9rc1.tar. steps
done;

--> installed new iptables source (iptables-1.2.9rc1.tar)
        - make KERNEL_DIR=/usr/local/linux
        - make install KERNEL_DIR=/usr/local/linux

--> applied POM (patch-o-matic-20030912.tar) to my latest kernel
(linux-2.4.22.tar)

--> recompile the kernel
        - make dep; make clean; make bzImage; make modules; make
modules_install
        - all went fine

--> reboot the machine

all went fine but when NAT/MASQUERADE is used, i got this "iptables: invalid
argument"

anything i missed?

Thanks.
-JP

* Re: SO HOW! iptables: invalid argument
@ 2003-10-25 13:55             ` Alistair Tonner
From: Alistair Tonner @ 2003-10-25 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Paul, netfilter

On October 25, 2003 09:40 am, John Paul wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> Just want to find the real answer with this. sorry but ans to google is not
> clear for me. I did upgrade my iptables to iptables-1.2.9rc1.tar. steps
> done;
>
> --> installed new iptables source (iptables-1.2.9rc1.tar)
>         - make KERNEL_DIR=/usr/local/linux
>         - make install KERNEL_DIR=/usr/local/linux
>
> --> applied POM (patch-o-matic-20030912.tar) to my latest kernel
> (linux-2.4.22.tar)
>
> --> recompile the kernel
>         - make dep; make clean; make bzImage; make modules; make
> modules_install
>         - all went fine
>
> --> reboot the machine
>
> all went fine but when NAT/MASQUERADE is used, i got this "iptables:
> invalid argument"
>
> anything i missed?
>
> Thanks.
> -JP

	Ummm.

	   I would personally apply POM before building iptables code....

	if you do find  / -name iptables ... how many results do you get?

	I've found followup installs don't tend to sit on top of original installs,
thus you likely have two copies of iptables stuff on your system now... you
need todetermine which to remove.

--

	Alistair Tonner
	nerdnet.ca

     Any sufficiently advanced technology will have the appearance of magic.
	Lets get magical!

* Re: SO HOW! iptables: invalid argument
@ 2003-10-25 14:11               ` John Paul
From: John Paul @ 2003-10-25 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alistair, netfilter

> Ummm.
>
>    I would personally apply POM before building iptables code

I actually did the other way around but still have same problem "invalid
argument"

i have two versions of iptables running.

iptables (from rpm /sbin/iptables) = works okay
iptables (from source /usr/local/sbin/iptables) = invalid argument

my Q is... why did the iptables from source didnt work. any helpful hint?

@ 2003-10-25 14:13               ` John Paul
From: John Paul @ 2003-10-25 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alistair, netfilter

@ 2003-10-25 15:16                 ` Alistair Tonner
From: Alistair Tonner @ 2003-10-25 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Paul, netfilter

On October 25, 2003 10:13 am, John Paul wrote:
> > Ummm.
> >
> >    I would personally apply POM before building iptables code
>
> I actually did the other way around but still have same problem "invalid
> argument"
>
> i have two versions of iptables running.
>
> iptables (from rpm /sbin/iptables) = works okay
> iptables (from source /usr/local/sbin/iptables) = invalid argument

1) iptables core code does depend on the code in the kernel to ensure
consistency. POM to kernel before building the iptables code.

2) having two copies of an application is ... difficult.
    I would remove the rpm myself for ease of use.  It can be worked around,
but it annoying at the least.

3) ensure that /etc/ld.so.conf does include  a reference to /usr/local/lib/
	this is where the libraries for the new version of iptables are.  ... or
        review *(uuuuhhmmm I think its) LD_PRELOAD variable when you are
	running the iptables command. (if you want to try running with two
	installed packages)

> my Q is... why did the iptables from source didnt work. any helpful hint?

	Code inconsistencies between the RPM and the built versions.

--

@ 2003-10-22 13:09       ` Fernando Barrocal
From: Fernando Barrocal @ 2003-10-22 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evan Davies; +Cc: Netfilter

It worked !

Thanks a lot !

At 21:50 21/10/2003, Evan Davies wrote:
>I first applied the patch-o-matic to the kernel.
>Recompile and installed iptables 1.2.8 with the following commands:
> > make BINDIR=/sbin LIBDIR=/lib MANDIR=/usr/share/man
> > make BINDIR=/sbin LIBDIR=/lib MANDIR=/usr/share/man install
>Configure the kernel with new options
>Run make bzImage ; make modules ; make modules_install
>Install new kernel image
>Reboot
>

>On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 07:59, Fernando Barrocal wrote:
> > Still after installing 1.2.8 it does not work. Do I need to compile ipt ?
> > and the kernel ?
> >
> > At 19:15 21/10/2003, Daniel Chemko wrote:
> > >Download ipt 1.2.8 or 1.2.9 if it is out.
> > >Or, use the CVS userspace
> > >
> > ># KERNEL_DIR=<yourkerneldir> make
> > ># make install
> > >
> > >You might want to change the destination directories in the Makefile to
> > >conform to the Redhat deployment layout
> > >LIBDIR=/lib/
> > >MANDIR=/usr/man
> > >etc..

* RE: iptables1.2.7 + pptp + rh9
@ 2003-10-21 23:50     ` Evan Davies
From: Evan Davies @ 2003-10-21 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fernando Barrocal; +Cc: Netfilter

--

       [not found] ` <7C9884991ADAE0479C14F10C858BCDF5122E76@alderaan.smgtec.com >
@ 2003-10-21 21:59   ` Fernando Barrocal
From: Fernando Barrocal @ 2003-10-21 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Chemko, netfilter

Still after installing 1.2.8 it does not work. Do I need to compile ipt ?
and the kernel ?

At 19:15 21/10/2003, Daniel Chemko wrote:
>Download ipt 1.2.8 or 1.2.9 if it is out.
>Or, use the CVS userspace
>
># KERNEL_DIR=<yourkerneldir> make
># make install
>
>You might want to change the destination directories in the Makefile to
>conform to the Redhat deployment layout
>LIBDIR=/lib/
>MANDIR=/usr/man
>etc..

* RE: iptables1.2.7 + pptp + rh9
@ 2003-10-21 21:15 Daniel Chemko
       [not found] ` <7C9884991ADAE0479C14F10C858BCDF5122E76@alderaan.smgtec.com >

I am applying the pptp patch with patch-o-matic in my redhat 9.0.
Somebody
have somer step by step to patch the kernel, compile the iptable
userspace
and compile the kernel to accept DNAT ?

Thanks in advance

Fernando Barrocal