* [2.6.8-test8] swsusp
@ 2003-10-25 16:43 Kronos
From: Kronos @ 2003-10-25 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Pavel Machek, Patrick Mochel

Hi,
swsups works quite well for me, but there are some (minor) problems:

echo -n "disk" > /sys/power/state
Stopping tasks: =======================================|
Freeing memory: .............|
hdd: start_power_step(step: 0)
hdd: completing PM request, suspend
hdc: start_power_step(step: 0)
hdc: completing PM request, suspend
hdb: start_power_step(step: 0)
hdb: start_power_step(step: 1)
hdb: complete_power_step(step: 1, stat: 50, err: 0)
hdb: completing PM request, suspend
hda: start_power_step(step: 0)
hda: start_power_step(step: 1)
hda: complete_power_step(step: 1, stat: 50, err: 0)
hda: completing PM request, suspend
[disks are now off]
PM: Attempting to suspend to disk.
PM: snapshotting memory.

Now disks spin up and data is written to the swap partition (hdb2), then
the PC  powers off. The fact that  disks are stopped and  then restarted
seems a bit strange to me.

On resume I  see usual messages. hds  are on, then they  are powered off
and turned on again and then the system is restored. I see also a lot of
bad schedulings.

Another strange thing is that the shell dies:
note: bash[394] exited with preempt_count 1

this was  the shell  where I  typed the  suspend command  (echo blabla),
shells on other vc are alive.

I put dmesg (suspend + resume) here:
http://web.tiscali.it/kronoz/linux/swsusp-2.6.0-t8.txt

Luca
PS: who is the maintainer of swsusp now?
--
Home: http://kronoz.cjb.net
Porc i' mond che cio' sott i piedi!

* Re: [2.6.8-test8] swsusp
@ 2003-10-25 16:53 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2003-10-25 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kronos; +Cc: linux-kernel, Patrick Mochel

Hi!

> swsups works quite well for me, but there are some (minor) problems:
>
> echo -n "disk" > /sys/power/state
> Stopping tasks: =======================================|
> Freeing memory: .............|
> hdd: start_power_step(step: 0)
> hdd: completing PM request, suspend
> hdc: start_power_step(step: 0)
> hdc: completing PM request, suspend
> hdb: start_power_step(step: 0)
> hdb: start_power_step(step: 1)
> hdb: complete_power_step(step: 1, stat: 50, err: 0)
> hdb: completing PM request, suspend
> hda: start_power_step(step: 0)
> hda: start_power_step(step: 1)
> hda: complete_power_step(step: 1, stat: 50, err: 0)
> hda: completing PM request, suspend
> [disks are now off]
> PM: Attempting to suspend to disk.
> PM: snapshotting memory.
>
> Now disks spin up and data is written to the swap partition (hdb2), then
> the PC  powers off. The fact that  disks are stopped and  then restarted
> seems a bit strange to me.

Its normal.

> On resume I  see usual messages. hds  are on, then they  are powered off
> and turned on again and then the system is restored. I see also a lot of
> bad schedulings.
>
> Another strange thing is that the shell dies:
> note: bash[394] exited with preempt_count 1
>
> this was  the shell  where I  typed the  suspend command  (echo blabla),
> shells on other vc are alive.
>
> I put dmesg (suspend + resume) here:
> http://web.tiscali.it/kronoz/linux/swsusp-2.6.0-t8.txt
>
> Luca
> PS: who is the maintainer of swsusp now?

I'm maintainer of swsusp, but you are using pmdisk, that's Patrick
Mochel's code [=> complain to him]. Hopefully I'll merge pmdisk into
swsusp in future (say, 2.6.1?)
								Pavel

[Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]