* more iptables nitpicking
@ 2003-10-29 19:46 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2003-10-29 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

  putting together a tutorial on this stuff has made me really
read the docs closely, so another couple of nits to pick:

1) the man page opens with a list of options, including
   iptables -[ADC] ...

   what's with the "-C"?  i know of no such option, and
   "iptables -h" doesn't mention it.

2) the man page also mentions the state match

   -m pkttype --pkt-type ...

   was it deliberate to spell "pkttype" in two subtly different
   ways here?  that seems just a recipe for confusion.

rday

* Re: more iptables nitpicking
@ 2003-10-29 20:13 ` Jörg Schütter
From: Jörg Schütter @ 2003-10-29 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hallo Robert,

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:46:06 -0500 (EST)
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com> wrote:

>   putting together a tutorial on this stuff has made me really
> read the docs closely, so another couple of nits to pick:
>
> 1) the man page opens with a list of options, including
>    iptables -[ADC] ...
>
>    what's with the "-C"?  i know of no such option, and
>    "iptables -h" doesn't mention it.

what version of iptables you are running? The verion on my firewall
(v1.2.6a) has the flag -C
"--check   -C chain            Test this packet on chain"
but it isn't implemented:
# iptables -C INPUT -s 192.168.7.33 -d 173.99.1.21 -p tcp -i eth0
"iptables: Will be implemented real soon.  I promise ;)"

Gruß
  Jörg

--
Jörg Schütter           http://www.lug-untermain.de/