* ethernet effectively hangs machine (2.4.22+acpi)
@ 2003-11-03  1:50 Jonathan Gold
       [not found] ` <Pine.NEB.4.58.0311022050090.24086-1rsecFGBr9VEIHK4WyZgrw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jonathan Gold @ 2003-11-03  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

i've been reading through the last month or so of this list, and
trying various searches on google for this issue, but can't find
anything. i imagine it's something fairly basic which i'm not doing,
but i don't know what that might be.

i compiled a 2.4.22 from scratch with the acpi stuff statically linked
into the kernel. i had some problems with usb for awhile, but got that
figured out. now i can boot into the acpi-enable kernel, but the
system essentially hangs when bringing up eth0 (it might timeout
eventually, but i haven't seen it do that yet). i tried manually
bringing up eth0 and assigning it a static ip, which worked, but when
i tried to ping another machine, i froze up again.

can someone possible forward me an earlier discussion of this issue. i
can't be the first.

thank you,

jon

* Re: ethernet effectively hangs machine (2.4.22+acpi)
       [not found] ` <Pine.NEB.4.58.0311022050090.24086-1rsecFGBr9VEIHK4WyZgrw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-11-03  2:26   ` Jonathan Gold
       [not found]     ` <Pine.NEB.4.58.0311022124330.3302-1rsecFGBr9VEIHK4WyZgrw@public.gmane.org>
From: Jonathan Gold @ 2003-11-03  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Jonathan Gold wrote:

> i tried manually bringing up eth0 and assigning it a static ip,
> which worked, but when i tried to ping another machine, i froze up
> again.

actually, i meant to say that the machine froze up. i was fine, and
would say that i handled the situation okay, given the circumstances
:)

@ 2003-11-03  3:33   ` Sérgio Monteiro Basto
       [not found]     ` <1067830424.1434.6.camel-4/PLUo9XfK/yXfm4dIG/yWZHpeb/A1Y/@public.gmane.org>
From: Sérgio Monteiro Basto @ 2003-11-03  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Gold; +Cc: acpi-devel

Hi
if for you, it is simple .
Can you make the same test
withhttp://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/linux-2.4/2.4.22/patch-2.4.22-ac4.bz2

you can use almost the same kernel configuration.
This version are very stable (for me).
If you made some tests with it, let me know!

thanks

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 01:50, Jonathan Gold wrote:
> i've been reading through the last month or so of this list, and
> trying various searches on google for this issue, but can't find
> anything. i imagine it's something fairly basic which i'm not doing,
> but i don't know what that might be.
>
> i compiled a 2.4.22 from scratch with the acpi stuff statically linked
> into the kernel. i had some problems with usb for awhile, but got that
> figured out. now i can boot into the acpi-enable kernel, but the
> system essentially hangs when bringing up eth0 (it might timeout
> eventually, but i haven't seen it do that yet). i tried manually
> bringing up eth0 and assigning it a static ip, which worked, but when
> i tried to ping another machine, i froze up again.
>
> can someone possible forward me an earlier discussion of this issue. i
> can't be the first.
>
> thank you,
>
> jon

SérgioMB
email: sergiomb-hHo3WeeoaswVhHzd4jOs4w@public.gmane.org

Who gives me one shell, give me everything.

@ 2003-11-03  5:33       ` Nigel Cunningham
From: Nigel Cunningham @ 2003-11-03  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Gold; +Cc: ACPI List

Hi.

PCMCIA does a similar thing for me, unless I use pci=noacpi. Perhaps
you'll find it makes the difference.

Regards,

Nigel

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 15:26, Jonathan Gold wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Jonathan Gold wrote:
>
> > i tried manually bringing up eth0 and assigning it a static ip,
> > which worked, but when i tried to ping another machine, i froze up
> > again.
>
> actually, i meant to say that the machine froze up. i was fine, and
> would say that i handled the situation okay, given the circumstances
> :)
>
> jon

Nigel Cunningham
495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand

Evolution (n): A hypothetical process whereby infinitely improbable events occur
with alarming frequency, order arises from chaos, and no one is given credit.

@ 2003-11-04  6:47       ` Len Brown
       [not found]         ` <1067928463.2727.50.camel-D2Zvc0uNKG8@public.gmane.org>
From: Len Brown @ 2003-11-04  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sérgio Monteiro Basto; +Cc: Jonathan Gold, ACPI Developers

The latest ACPI patch against 2.4.22 lives here:

http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/lenb/acpi/patches/release/2.4.22/

If you apply this patch to 2.4.22 and find that the default
configuration hangs, but acpi=ht, acpi=off, noapic, or acpi=off
work, then please let me know.

Note that the -ac patch below and the ACPI patch above are mutually
exclusive (unless you manually merge the conflicts).

thanks,
-Len

@ 2003-11-04 10:11           ` Ducrot Bruno
From: Ducrot Bruno @ 2003-11-04 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Len Brown; +Cc: Sérgio Monteiro Basto, Jonathan Gold, ACPI Developers

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 01:47:43AM -0500, Len Brown wrote:
> The latest ACPI patch against 2.4.22 lives here:
>
> http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/lenb/acpi/patches/release/2.4.22/
>
> If you apply this patch to 2.4.22 and find that the default
> configuration hangs, but acpi=ht, acpi=off, noapic, or acpi=off
> work, then please let me know.

There is also a nolapic option, apparently...

--
Ducrot Bruno

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.

@ 2003-11-04 17:09           ` Jonathan Gold
From: Jonathan Gold @ 2003-11-04 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Len Brown; +Cc: Sérgio Monteiro Basto, ACPI Developers