* Help, not rudeness, requested
@ 2003-11-04 13:53 Scott Ehrlich
From: Scott Ehrlich @ 2003-11-04 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams

My last round of messages to this list asking for help compiling
ax25/soundcard support for the kernel was met with some unwarranted
hostility.

Here are the facts, as opposed to assumptions based on misinterpretation
of my emails.

I downloaded the 2.4.22 kernel from kernel.org.

I had an ssh session open to the Debian woody box since it was running an
older kernel to at least get it up and running.  In a web browser, I had
several pages open to show me how to compile in ax25 sound support.

I configured the kernel (I've compiled and patched many kernels over the
years, so I am a veteran) and looked for all the kernel options the
respective web pages showed.  Some of those options just were not listed,
and I could find none mentioning anything about patches that might be
needed.

I then dove into the .config directly and found some compile options never
shown under make menuconfig, and toggled those manually.   I did get
further, but eventually gave up and reinstalled Win98.  I really wanted
Linux so I could monitor activity remotely from work.   I've now gone back
to Linux.

The intention of an email list is to foster support and help for list
members.  If this were a development or hackers list, then it might be
wiser to direct me to a "help" or "general" or "discussion" version of the
list.  But the list name says linux-hams, and that is exactly what my
catagory is.

I don't expect any apologies for those who flamed me.  But what I would at
least appreciate are .config files from version 2.4.22 kernels for those
who have successfully done the trick of ax25 with soundcard stuff all
working under Debian woody.

Thanks.

Scott, WY1Z

* Re : Help, not rudeness, requested
@ 2003-11-04 14:03 ` Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
From: Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) @ 2003-11-04 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Ehrlich; +Cc: linux-hams

The options "hidden" by menuconfig predepends on other options.
Generally you have first to enable :
From "main menu"
 Code maturity level options  --->
[*] Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers

--
Regards and 73
		- f5ibh - Jean-Luc

Le 04.11.2003 14:53, Scott Ehrlich a écrit :
> My last round of messages to this list asking for help compiling
> ax25/soundcard support for the kernel was met with some unwarranted
> hostility.
>
> Here are the facts, as opposed to assumptions based on
> misinterpretation
> of my emails.
>
> I downloaded the 2.4.22 kernel from kernel.org.
>
> I had an ssh session open to the Debian woody box since it was
> running
> an
> older kernel to at least get it up and running.  In a web browser, I
> had
> several pages open to show me how to compile in ax25 sound support.
>
> I configured the kernel (I've compiled and patched many kernels over
> the
> years, so I am a veteran) and looked for all the kernel options the
> respective web pages showed.  Some of those options just were not
> listed,
> and I could find none mentioning anything about patches that might be
> needed.
>
> I then dove into the .config directly and found some compile options
> never
> shown under make menuconfig, and toggled those manually.   I did get
> further, but eventually gave up and reinstalled Win98.  I really
> wanted
> Linux so I could monitor activity remotely from work.   I've now gone
> back
> to Linux.
>
> The intention of an email list is to foster support and help for list
> members.  If this were a development or hackers list, then it might
> be
> wiser to direct me to a "help" or "general" or "discussion" version
> of
> the
> list.  But the list name says linux-hams, and that is exactly what my
> catagory is.
>
> I don't expect any apologies for those who flamed me.  But what I
> would at
> least appreciate are .config files from version 2.4.22 kernels for
> those
> who have successfully done the trick of ax25 with soundcard stuff all
> working under Debian woody.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott, WY1Z
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-hams"
> in

-

* Re: Re : Help, not rudeness, requested
@ 2003-11-04 19:20   ` Scott Ehrlich
From: Scott Ehrlich @ 2003-11-04 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh); +Cc: linux-hams

Greetings:

Well aware of the dev drivers :-)

I neglected to say I had enabled them during make menuconfig, but still
saw no sign of soundmodem support in Amateur Radio support.  I'll check
out the baycom stuff when I get back home.

Thanks.

Scott

@ 2003-11-04 19:32     ` Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
From: Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) @ 2003-11-04 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Ehrlich; +Cc: linux-hams

There _is_ a support in the kernel 2.4.22 but I think it is better to
use the userland soundmodem from Thomas Sailer.

Here is a copy of the ax25 support I get (sorry for the bad looking
screen)

Linux Kernel v2.4.22 Configuration

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
  lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq AX.25 network device drivers
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
  x  Arrow keys navigate the menu.  <Enter> selects submenus --->.
  x  Highlighted letters are hotkeys.  Pressing <Y> includes, <N>
excludes, x
  x  <M> modularizes features.  Press <Esc><Esc> to exit, <?> for Help.
  x  Legend: [*] built-in  [ ] excluded  <M> module  < > module capable
  x lqqqq^(-)
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk x
  x x    < > High-speed (DMA) SCC driver for AX.25
x x
  x x    <M> Z8530 SCC driver
x x
  x x    [ ]   additional delay for PA0HZP OptoSCC compatible boards
x x
  x x    [ ]   support for TRX that feedback the tx signal to rx
x x
  x x    <M> BAYCOM ser12 fullduplex driver for AX.25
x x
  x x    < > BAYCOM ser12 halfduplex driver for AX.25
x x
  x x    < > BAYCOM picpar and par96 driver for AX.25
x x
  x x    < > BAYCOM epp driver for AX.25
x x
  x x    < > Soundcard modem driver
x x
  x x    < > YAM driver for AX.25
x x
mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj

tqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqu
  x                    <Select>    < Exit >    < Help >

mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj

--
			- f5ibh - Jean-Luc
Le 04.11.2003 20:20, Scott Ehrlich a écrit :
> Greetings:
>
> Well aware of the dev drivers :-)
>
> I neglected to say I had enabled them during make menuconfig, but
> still
> saw no sign of soundmodem support in Amateur Radio support.  I'll
> check
> out the baycom stuff when I get back home.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

-

* Re: Help, not rudeness, requested
@ 2003-11-04 22:02     ` pa3gcu
From: pa3gcu @ 2003-11-04 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Ehrlich; +Cc: linux-hams

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 20:20, Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> Well aware of the dev drivers :-)
>
> I neglected to say I had enabled them during make menuconfig, but still
> saw no sign of soundmodem support in Amateur Radio support.  I'll check
> out the baycom stuff when I get back home.

You have quite possably missed

CONFIG_PARPORT

I said before in my last mail i do not use a sound modem, however i did look
to see where you are going wrong. I made the comment that you need to read
the documentation, if you took that to be rude then you have a limited sense
of feeling, anyway, why do you need "CONFIG_PARPORT",? answer, i have no idea
BUT, in /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/drivers/net/hamradio/Config.in the line;

dep_tristate 'Soundcard modem driver' CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM \
$CONFIG_PARPORT $CONFIG_AX25

Tells me that if one does not select CONFIG_PARPORT or CONFIG_AX25 then you
will NEVER see CONFIG_SOUNDMODEM in make config, make menuconfig or make
xconfig period.

Now without even trying to be rude i hope this helps.
O yes, i did take a look at your request and answers, one can see them in the
archives at; http://he.fi/archive/linux-hams/
I saw no rude mail at all, if you meant i was rude by pointing you towards
documentation you are totaly wrong.

--
If the Linux community is a bunch of theives because they
try to imitate windows programs, then the Windows community

Regards Richard
pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/