* kernel 2.6: can't get 3c575/PCMCIA working - other PCMCIA card work
@ 2004-01-06 11:19 martin f krafft
From: martin f krafft @ 2004-01-06 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have an ancient laptop with a yenta_socket PCMCIA bridge and three
cards, each with Hinds' pcmcia-cs driver indicated:

  Orinico Wireless LAN (wvlan_cs)
  3COM 3c575 (3c575_cs)
  Psion Gold Card Modem (serial_cs)

I have compiled a 2.6.0 kernel with the following relevant options:

  CONFIG_PCMCIA=y
  CONFIG_YENTA=y
  CONFIG_CARDBUS=y
  CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI=y
  CONFIG_PCMCIA_HERMES=m
  CONFIG_NET_PCMCIA=y
  CONFIG_PCMCIA_3C574=m
  CONFIG_SERIAL_8250=m
  CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_CS=y

Furthermore, I installed the following relevant software packages:

ii  pcmcia-cs      3.2.5-2        PCMCIA Card Services for Linux
ii  hotplug        0.0.20031013-2 Linux Hotplug Scripts

I can get the Orinico card working just fine, and the modem is also
detected perfectly. However, the 3c575 card won't be recognised. All
I get from the hotplug system is:

  pci.agent: ... no modules for PCI slot 0000:06:00.0

and that's whether I put "3c574_cs" into the $DRIVERS list of
/etc/hotplug/pci.agent  or not.

What's going on? Is the 3c575 not supported by 3c574_cs? Is there
any way to get this card working?

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@madduck

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies."
                                                 - friedrich nietzsche

* Re: kernel 2.6: can't get 3c575/PCMCIA working - other PCMCIA card work
@ 2004-01-11 12:00 ` Russell King
From: Russell King @ 2004-01-11 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 12:19:39PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> I have an ancient laptop with a yenta_socket PCMCIA bridge and three
> cards, each with Hinds' pcmcia-cs driver indicated:
>
>   Orinico Wireless LAN (wvlan_cs)
>   3COM 3c575 (3c575_cs)
>   Psion Gold Card Modem (serial_cs)

What is 3c575_cs ?  I think you actually mean 3c574_cs.  Or maybe you
mean you have a 3com 3ccfe575 Cardbus card?  The above is rather too
ambiguous.

> However, the 3c575 card won't be recognised. All
> I get from the hotplug system is:
>
>   pci.agent: ... no modules for PCI slot 0000:06:00.0

This indicates that the card you inserted is a Cardbus card.  In which
case, the PCMCIA driver "3c574_cs" is definitely not what you want.
You want to use the 3c59x driver, though the hotplug subsystem should
automatically pick that up from the PCI ids.

Could you insert the card, and then provide the output of lspci -vx ?

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 PCMCIA      - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/

* Re: kernel 2.6: can't get 3c575/PCMCIA working - other PCMCIA card work
@ 2004-01-11 12:32   ` martin f krafft
From: martin f krafft @ 2004-01-11 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

also sprach Russell King <rmk+lkml@arm.linux.org.uk> [2004.01.11.1300 +0100]:
> >   Orinico Wireless LAN (wvlan_cs)
> >   3COM 3c575 (3c575_cs)
> >   Psion Gold Card Modem (serial_cs)
>
> What is 3c575_cs ?  I think you actually mean 3c574_cs.  Or maybe you
> mean you have a 3com 3ccfe575 Cardbus card?  The above is rather too
> ambiguous.

The card is a 3CCFE575BT-D. Under 2.4 with Hinds' pcmcia-cs modules,
the driver was called 3c575_cs. Under 2.6 with the kernel drivers,
only 3c574_cs exists. I assumed that 3c574_cs would also support the
3c575_cs, but I guess I am wrong.

A 3CCFE574BT works just fine with 574_cs (although upon removal,
ifconfig will hang in the 'D' state forever. I guess that's
a separate issue though. I will research this and post another time.

> > However, the 3c575 card won't be recognised. All
> > I get from the hotplug system is:
> >
> >   pci.agent: ... no modules for PCI slot 0000:06:00.0
>
> This indicates that the card you inserted is a Cardbus card.  In which
> case, the PCMCIA driver "3c574_cs" is definitely not what you want.
> You want to use the 3c59x driver, though the hotplug subsystem should
> automatically pick that up from the PCI ids.

Interesting. Well, I do not have 3c59x compiled in the kernel.
I shall do this and find out.

> Could you insert the card, and then provide the output of lspci -vx ?

ftp://ftp.madduck.net/scratch/3c575-lspci.gz [1.5Kb]

Thanks for your time!

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@madduck

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

until lions have their historians,
tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter.
                                                    -- african proverb

* Re: kernel 2.6: can't get 3c575/PCMCIA working - other PCMCIA card work
@ 2004-01-11 12:54     ` Russell King
From: Russell King @ 2004-01-11 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 01:32:08PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> The card is a 3CCFE575BT-D. Under 2.4 with Hinds' pcmcia-cs modules,
> the driver was called 3c575_cs. Under 2.6 with the kernel drivers,
> only 3c574_cs exists. I assumed that 3c574_cs would also support the
> 3c575_cs, but I guess I am wrong.

The situation in vanilla 2.4 and 2.6 kernels is as follows: xxx_cs
drivers only drive PCMCIA cards.  They do not drive Cardbus cards -
Cardbus cards look exactly like normal PCI cards, and are therefore
the drivers are handled by the PCI subsystem.  PCMCIA helps out only
to detect the card insertion/removal events.

Hope this helps to make things a little clearer.

> A 3CCFE574BT works just fine with 574_cs (although upon removal,
> ifconfig will hang in the 'D' state forever. I guess that's
> a separate issue though. I will research this and post another time.

Indeed.

> > Could you insert the card, and then provide the output of lspci -vx ?
>
> ftp://ftp.madduck.net/scratch/3c575-lspci.gz [1.5Kb]

... which seems to be exactly the same as my 3ccfe575bt card I have here.
I note though that the product description seems to be wrong (the PCI IDs
are identical.)  The card is most definitely "3CCFE575BT" and not "3c575".

Yours:

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c575 [Megahertz] 10/100 LAN Card Bus (rev 01)
        Subsystem: 3Com Corporation 3C575 Megahertz 10/100 LAN Cardbus PC Card

Mine:

04:00.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3CCFE575BT Cyclone CardBus (rev 01)
        Subsystem: 3Com Corporation 3C575 Megahertz 10/100 LAN Cardbus PC Card

Socket 1:
  product info: "3Com Corporation", "3CCFE575BT", "LAN Cardbus Card", "001"
  manfid: 0x0101, 0x5157
  function: 6 (network)

--

@ 2004-01-11 13:09       ` martin f krafft
From: martin f krafft @ 2004-01-11 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

also sprach Russell King <rmk+lkml@arm.linux.org.uk> [2004.01.11.1354 +0100]:
> Hope this helps to make things a little clearer.

It does. Thanks. (It's very cool!)

> ... which seems to be exactly the same as my 3ccfe575bt card I have here.
> I note though that the product description seems to be wrong (the PCI IDs
> are identical.)  The card is most definitely "3CCFE575BT" and not "3c575".

Well, it does have a -D after the 3CCFE575BT (as read on the card
itself)

Anyhow, I will recompile 2.6.1 with 3c59x and then report.

Thanks for your time!

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@madduck

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"every day is long. 86400 doesn't fit in a short."

* Re: kernel 2.6: can't get 3c575/PCMCIA working - other PCMCIA card work
@ 2004-01-11 14:43       ` martin f krafft
From: martin f krafft @ 2004-01-11 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

also sprach Russell King <rmk+lkml@arm.linux.org.uk> [2004.01.11.1354 +0100]:
> Cardbus cards look exactly like normal PCI cards, and are therefore
> the drivers are handled by the PCI subsystem.  PCMCIA helps out only
> to detect the card insertion/removal events.

Are you sure about the latter. Cause the driver gets loaded whether
cardmgr is started or not. But in any case, cardmgr does not
configure the interface. Where can I find the hook for Cardbus cards
to do configuration after initialisation?

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@madduck

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"i wish there was a knob on the tv to turn up the intelligence.
 there's a knob called 'brightness', but it doesn't seem to work."
                                                          -- gallagher

* Re: kernel 2.6: can't get 3c575/PCMCIA working - other PCMCIA card work
@ 2004-01-11 15:02         ` Russell King
From: Russell King @ 2004-01-11 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 03:43:43PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Russell King <rmk+lkml@arm.linux.org.uk> [2004.01.11.1354 +0100]:
> > Cardbus cards look exactly like normal PCI cards, and are therefore
> > the drivers are handled by the PCI subsystem.  PCMCIA helps out only
> > to detect the card insertion/removal events.
>
> Are you sure about the latter.

Yes.

> Cause the driver gets loaded whether cardmgr is started or not. But in
> any case, cardmgr does not configure the interface.

cardmgr doesn't play a part when you've inserted a cardbus card - it
doesn't even know that a card has been inserted into the slot.

> Where can I find
> the hook for Cardbus cards to do configuration after initialisation?

It's all done via the hotplug subsystem, which is integrated into the
driver model.

Basically, we discover that a cardbus card has been inserted, and ask
the PCI layer to scan the slot.  We add the new device to the list of
PCI devices, which automatically causes the hotplug system to call
/sbin/hotplug for the new PCI device.

The hotplug scripts are then supposed to load the driver as necessary
(using /etc/modules.conf) which creates a network interface.  This then
causes the hotplug scripts to be invoked again, this time for the new
network interface, which should configure it.

--

@ 2004-01-11 16:14           ` martin f krafft
From: martin f krafft @ 2004-01-11 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)