* Need Help ..!
@ 2004-01-11 12:00 HEMANT BAANDAL
From: HEMANT BAANDAL @ 2004-01-11 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hey guys,

   Is there anyway i can detect proxied ips' behind my
nat box. I am using iptables-1.2.7a-2, i need to
detect natted or proxied ips passing through my linux
box. Can anyone help me with this.

Hemant.

=====
Hemant
Virtual Illusion Team
Mumbai.

Pace My Passion . . . . ! ! !

* Re: Need Help ..!
@ 2004-01-11 14:41 ` Antony Stone
From: Antony Stone @ 2004-01-11 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On Sunday 11 January 2004 12:00 pm, HEMANT BAANDAL wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
>    Is there anyway i can detect proxied ips' behind my
> nat box. I am using iptables-1.2.7a-2, i need to
> detect natted or proxied ips passing through my linux
> box. Can anyone help me with this.

Proxied IPs may be detectable by looking at the OSI layer 7 content of the
packets (ie: not using netfilter), to see whether the proxies give themselves
away by some sort of header (eg: http proxies commonly insert a header from
which you can tell it's not a direct connection).

NATted IPs can (I believe) be detected by analysis of the source ports and/or
sequence numbers.   Try a google search for something like "nat detect
sequence source port"?

Why do you want to do this?   There may a better solution to your problem than
the specific question you have asked?

Antony.

--
If you want to be happy for an hour, get drunk.
If you want to be happy for a year, get married.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.