* Questions about install SELinux in Fedora Core
@ 2004-01-10 19:17 Park Lee
From: Park Lee @ 2004-01-10 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

Hello:
 I want to install the 2.6 kernel with SELinux patch applied in Fedora Core.
 Yesterday(2004-01-10).I downloaded the Fedora Core's following ISO image files:
 yarrow-i386-disc1.iso
 yarrow-i386-disc2.iso
 yarrow-i386-disc3.iso
from a mirror site of http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/iso/. After checked the MD5 checksums for the ISO images,I burn the ISO images to CD-Rs.and install them in my
computer successfully.The version of Fedora Core is 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl .
 Then I downloaded the 2.6.0-test11 kernel with SELinux patch applied from www.nsa.gov/selinux. I read the Changes file in the directory of linux-2.6/Documentation/Changes for the minimum version numbers required.
 I found that the minimum version numbers required in the Changes file cann't be meet by the above Fedora Core in the following 3 software.
 They are(in the style of the Changes file):

 name          version      command
 o  xfsprogs      2.1.0    # xfs_db -V
 o  quota-tools   3.09     # quota -V
 o  procps        3.1.13   # ps --version

When I execute the commands of the above lists in the Fedora Core.They looks like:

 # xfs_db -V
 -bash: xfs_db: command not found;
 # quota -V
 Quota utilities version 3.06.
 Compiled with RPC Bugs to mvw@planets.elm.net, jack@suse.cz;
 # ps --version
 procps version 2.0.17;

 Then,would you please tell me that can I ignore the above problems and install the 2.6 kernel with SELinux patch applied in the above Fedora Core successfully.
 If not,which version of SELinux can I install successfully in the above Fedora Core.
 Thank you very much!
       Park Lee
      2004-1-11

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: Questions about install SELinux in Fedora Core
@ 2004-01-10 23:18 ` Russell Coker
From: Russell Coker @ 2004-01-10 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Park Lee, selinux

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 06:17, Park Lee <parklee_2004@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> Core is 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl . Then I downloaded the 2.6.0-test11 kernel with

Better to get 2.6.1.

> numbers required. I found that the minimum version numbers required in the
> Changes file cann't be meet by the above Fedora Core in the following 3
> software. They are(in the style of the Changes file):
>
>  name          version      command
>  o  xfsprogs      2.1.0    # xfs_db -V
>  o  quota-tools   3.09     # quota -V
>  o  procps        3.1.13   # ps --version

quota-tools doesn't matter unless you are using quotas, are you using quotas?

For xfsprogs, last I heard XFS support for SE Linux wasn't quite ready.  So
unless something has changed you have to use Ext3, and therefore the version
of xfsprogs does not matter.

Red Hat uses a different procps to everyone else.  Don't worry about it.

* Re: Questions about install SELinux in Fedora Core
@ 2004-01-11  2:47   ` Park Lee
From: Park Lee @ 2004-01-11  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: russell; +Cc: selinux

Dear Russell Coker
You say that:

But there is only the 2.6.0-test11 kernel with SELinux patch applied could be down from www.nsa.gov/selinux.

>quota-tools doesn't matter unless you are using quotas, are >you using quotas?
>For xfsprogs, last I heard XFS support for SE Linux wasn't >quite ready. So
>unless something has changed you have to use Ext3, and >therefore the version
>of xfsprogs does not matter.
>Red Hat uses a different procps to everyone else. Don't worry >about it.

Then do you mean that I can ignore the above problems and install the 2.6 kernel with SELinux patch applied in the Fedora Core(2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ) successfully.

And if I download the newest version of xfsprogs,quota-tools and procps. Could I install them in the Fedora Core(2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ) and do not cause other problems.

Thank you very much!

                                                             Park Lee

                                                             2004-01-11

@ 2004-01-11 11:31     ` Russell Coker
From: Russell Coker @ 2004-01-11 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Park Lee; +Cc: selinux

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:47, Park Lee <parklee_2004@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> You say that:
> >Better to get 2.6.1.
>
> But there is only the 2.6.0-test11 kernel with SELinux patch applied could
> be down from www.nsa.gov/selinux.

2.6.0 and 2.6.1 run fine without any patches.

> >quota-tools doesn't matter unless you are using quotas, are >you using
> > quotas? For xfsprogs, last I heard XFS support for SE Linux wasn't >quite
> > ready. So unless something has changed you have to use Ext3, and
> > >therefore the version of xfsprogs does not matter.
> >Red Hat uses a different procps to everyone else. Don't worry >about it.
>
> Then do you mean that I can ignore the above problems and install the 2.6
> kernel with SELinux patch applied in the Fedora Core(2.4.22-1.2115.nptl )
> successfully.

Use Arjan's 2.6 kernel package, or compile your own 2.6.1 kernel.  Don't worry
about those problems.

> And if I download the newest version of xfsprogs,quota-tools and procps.
> Could I install them in the Fedora Core(2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ) and do not
> cause other problems.

Procps 3.1.15 will also work fine, but it's a different thing to the Red Hat
procps.

XFS isn't something I've had a need to learn about, and quota-tools isn't
something I've used recently.  I don't know what the issues of upgrading them
may be.

* Re: Questions about install SELinux in Fedora Core
@ 2004-01-11 13:26       ` Arkadiusz Miskiewicz
From: Arkadiusz Miskiewicz @ 2004-01-11 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux; +Cc: Park Lee

On Sunday 11 of January 2004 12:31, Russell Coker wrote:
> > > quotas? For xfsprogs, last I heard XFS support for SE Linux wasn't
[...]
> XFS isn't something I've had a need to learn about, and quota-tools isn't
> something I've used recently.  I don't know what the issues of upgrading
> them may be.

Labeling works with xfs on 2.6.1 patched using for example these patches
http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/SOURCES/linux-2.6-xfs-cvs-20040102.patch?rev=1.2.2.1
http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/SOURCES/linux-2.6-xfs-secure-attr.patch?rev=1.1

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz    CS at FoE, Wroclaw University of Technology
arekm.pld-linux.org AM2-6BONE, 1024/3DB19BBD, arekm(at)ircnet, PLD/Linux

* Re: Questions about install SELinux in Fedora Core
@ 2004-01-11 18:35         ` Timothy Wood
From: Timothy Wood @ 2004-01-11 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arkadiusz Miskiewicz; +Cc: selinux, Park Lee

I've actually been working on this recently. I spent some time tracking
the problem down and it looks like a attribute namespace difference so
I'm talking to some people on the XFS mailing list. It should be working
before long, i hope.

Timothy,

@ 2004-01-12 13:18       ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2004-01-12 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Coker; +Cc: Park Lee, selinux

On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 06:31, Russell Coker wrote:
> 2.6.0 and 2.6.1 run fine without any patches.

The latest -mm patch (2.6.1-mm2) includes all of the patches to the
SELinux module except for a reworking of the skb logging and new
port-based controls by James Morris.  2.6.1 still lacked the resource
limit inheritance control as well as the networking controls, and 2.6.0
further lacked the signal inheritance control and several fixes.  Hence,
while you can use vanilla 2.6.0 or 2.6.1 without any patches, it isn't
exactly the same; certain controls won't be present.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds@epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency