* RE: DELL inspiron 8200 fails to restore console after S1/S3
@ 2004-01-12  6:48 Yu, Luming
       [not found] ` <3ACA40606221794F80A5670F0AF15F8401720CB2-SRlDPOYGfgogGBtAFL8yw7fspsVTdybXVpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
From: Yu, Luming @ 2004-01-12  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ezra peisach, acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

> \_SB.PCI0.AGP.VID

What is AGP.VID, I didn't find any information regarding VID in ACPI
spec 2.0b.

> and do the right thing?
>
> Perhaps the agp driver is the proper place.... I suspect it
> may be a radeon
> specific thing...
>
> For the X case - maybe it needs to observe the acpi events -
> not just apm.

I think video driver should be responsible for turnning on/off console,
becuase they have chance to run when entering/leaving S1/S3.

@ 2004-01-12 13:22   ` ezra peisach
From: ezra peisach @ 2004-01-12 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luming.yu-ral2JQCrhuEAvxtiuMwx3w
  Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Thank you for your reply.

>What is AGP.VID, I didn't find any information regarding VID in ACPI
>spec 2.0b.

AGP is clearly the onboard video device. From the dsdt, AGP is a device, and
VID a subdevice. It appears that the VID is adhering to the Appendix B of
the 2.0c specs (switching video outputs)

>From looking at the DSDT \_SB.PCI0.AGP.VID is only being notified of
lid open/close event. Which makes sense - you might want to enable the
external CRT at that time. I am currently investigating if the Dell BIOS
requires one to enable the output display on waking. If so - the dsdt is not
doing it. (I need to check the display status bits after restore).

>I think video driver should be responsible for turnning on/off console,
>becuase they have chance to run when entering/leaving S1/S3.
I've come to the same conclusion.  I've discovered that
the blanking is caused by the machine disabling the LCD backlight on restore.
(radeontools-1.2 figured that out).

I need to figure out now if the vga handler (VESA) interface is doing the
right things on power restore. There was another thread about someone
else having the backlight remain on on S1/S3 invocation - and that the driver
was disabling hsync/vsync. If everything is Kosher there - then maybe I
need a radeon specific blanking hook to follow the vga driver.

Thanks again - I will keep everyone posted.

Ezra

@ 2004-01-13 16:24   ` Brian Perkins
From: Brian Perkins @ 2004-01-13 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yu, Luming; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

I have the same entry in my thinkpad R32.

Mine seems to follow the "display specific methods" that are described
in section B.4 (I have the 2.0c spec in fron tof me now).

--
"Set phasers to Troll."
Brian Perkins				     bperkins-ooduxAEi7gVg9hUCZPvPmw@public.gmane.org

* Re: DELL inspiron 8200 fails to restore console after S1/S3
       [not found] ` <200401062110.QAA188725-AW32GngNFaTp5eoAjl1PXg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-01-18  8:37   ` Luca Capello
From: Luca Capello @ 2004-01-18  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ML ACPI-devel

[-- Attachment #2: ASUS-M3410C_0205A_20040118.dsdt.raw.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 12411 bytes --]

* RE: DELL inspiron 8200 fails to restore console after S1/S3
@ 2004-01-18  2:45 Yu, Luming
From: Yu, Luming @ 2004-01-18  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Perkins; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hmm, ACPI should interact with the Linux video subsystem.

http://www.eclipsecon.org/osdn

* DELL inspiron 8200 fails to restore console after S1/S3
@ 2004-01-06 21:10 ezra peisach
       [not found] ` <200401062110.QAA188725-AW32GngNFaTp5eoAjl1PXg@public.gmane.org>
From: ezra peisach @ 2004-01-06 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Testing w/ the 2.6.0 kernel and the 12/03 patches to acpi, the following
happens w/ the stock DSDT A10 on an inspiron 8200:

The display is a radeon 9000....

The following occurs if X is not running. (init run level 3)

If one moves to power state: S1 - the screen does not go blank (text
remains) When power is restored, the machine accepts keyboard input,
but the screen then goes blank.

If one move to power state S3 - screen goes blank. Power restoration
flashes the screen then remains blank.

When X is running - sometimes the screen is restored, sometimes
not. I.e. sometimes it comes out w/ garbage.

Based on the bugzilla.kernel.org - bug 605 - discusses backlight not
going off.  There is a comment that ACPI may not be responsible for
this - the gfx driver is.

When X is not running - there isn't a gfx driver - except the kernel.
Do we need an OS specific handler to receive notifications of

\_SB.PCI0.AGP.VID

and do the right thing?

Perhaps the agp driver is the proper place.... I suspect it may be a radeon
specific thing...

For the X case - maybe it needs to observe the acpi events - not just apm.

Anyone have any ideas?

Ezra