* RE: Please help with a special RAID 1 setup
@ 2004-01-13 20:50 linux
From: linux @ 2004-01-13 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Andy Cress wrote:
> Note that RAID-1 will only ever have a maximum of 2 active disks.
> When you add the 3rd disk, it is added to the array as a spare, that's
> why it doesn't rebuild.

That surprises the hell out of me...

> md1 : active raid1 hdk1[5] hdi1[4] hdg1[3] hde1[2] hdc1[1] hda1[0]
>      439360 blocks [6/6] [UUUUUU]

(/boot and backup recovery tools.)

* Re: Please help with a special RAID 1 setup
@ 2004-01-07 20:21 ` Mircea Ciocan
From: Mircea Ciocan @ 2004-01-07 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cress, Andrew R; +Cc: linux-raid

Cress, Andrew R wrote:

>Well, the simplest thing would be to detach one of the mirror disks,
>keep it as the backup, then insert a new one for the resync.  Is that
>what you want?
>
>Andy

    Well yes but I don't want to change phisically the wires, so I can
detach a slice via sowtware, but new slice will be a different device (
on another controller), do you thing this is possible and how ( I try
now to grok Luca's solution but not yet ready).

    Mircea

* Re: Please help with a special RAID 1 setup
@ 2004-01-07 20:17 ` Mircea Ciocan
From: Mircea Ciocan @ 2004-01-07 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rechenberg, Andrew; +Cc: linux-raid

Rechenberg, Andrew wrote:

> [...]
    This is a refershing info, depressing is the fact that a slice can't
be added unobrtusively ( sp ?), I'll try Luca's solution first than
scratch & rebuild if this will be a resounding failure  ;).

[SNIP]

>We had a "triple" mirror sofware RAID setup on a box as a "poor man's
>snapshot" before we started using LVM.  We triple mirrored and then
>broke one mirror to backup and then added the removed disk back into the
>array and re-synched.  LVM snapshots are much more elegant and LVM
>provides more functionality such as extended volumes when you want to
>add more space.  You have to be careful using LVM because as of 2.4.18
>there was a Linux VM bug that would not allow snapshotting with greater
>than about 6GB of system RAM.
>
>However, I would recommend recreating the filesystem on top of LVM and
>using snapshots to accomplish what you want.  We use LVM on top of SW
>RAID with great success.

    Ha, so I'm not the only one crazy enough to propose such a solution,
I'm happy that I'm not alone :),  did it worked ??
I belive that was designed and initialised from the first time as a 3
slice raid, the 3rd slice wasn't aded as an aftertought ??

The raid boxes have 4GiB RAM so is not a problem, BTW to you have a
pointer for starting the RTFM about that LVM and especially those
snapshots, is there a posibility to to save the inital setup with 2
slices or everything has to be destroyed and recreated again???

    Best regards,

    Mircea

* RE: Please help with a special RAID 1 setup
@ 2004-01-07 19:28 Cress, Andrew R

>Note that RAID-1 will only ever have a maximum of 2 active disks.
>When you add the 3rd disk, it is added to the array as a spare, that's
>why it doesn't rebuild.
>
>Andy

    Ouch, so is there really no posibility to obtain somehow what I
explained in the previous mail ( a cvasi-realtime filesystem backup by
attaching and detaching a device) :(((
Please tell me that there is a posibility, my world is shattered ;)

       Mircea

* RE: Please help with a special RAID 1 setup
@ 2004-01-07 18:59 ` Michael
From: Michael @ 2004-01-07 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

<snip>
> I don't believe that the above is a correct statement.  Linux
> software RAID1 will allow mirroring across more than 2 devices:

This is correct. Below is info and conf file from our raid1 setup

Boot sector (md1) is 3 partition raid 1
swap and root are 2 partition raid 1 with hot spare

Personalities : [raid0] [raid1] [raid5]
read_ahead 1024 sectors
md1 : active raid1 sdc1[2] sdb1[1] sda1[0]
      15936 blocks [3/3] [UUU]

md2 : active raid1 sdc2[2] sdb2[1] sda2[0]
      489856 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 sdc3[2] sdb3[1] sda3[0]
      16924352 blocks [2/2] [UU]

# raid-1 configuration
raiddev /dev/md1
        raid-level              1
        nr-raid-disks           3
        chunk-size              4
# Spare disks for hot reconstruction
        nr-spare-disks          0
        persistent-superblock   1
        device                  /dev/sda1
        raid-disk               0
        device                  /dev/sdb1
        raid-disk               1
        device                  /dev/sdc1
        raid-disk               2

raiddev /dev/md0
        raid-level              1
        nr-raid-disks           2
        chunk-size              32
        nr-spare-disks          1
        persistent-superblock   1
        device                  /dev/sda3
        raid-disk               0
        device                  /dev/sdb3
        raid-disk               1
        device                  /dev/sdc3
        spare-disk              0

raiddev /dev/md2
        raid-level              1
        nr-raid-disks           2
        chunk-size              4
# Spare disks for hot reconstruction
        nr-spare-disks          1
        persistent-superblock   1
        device                  /dev/sda2
        raid-disk               0
        device                  /dev/sdb2
        raid-disk               1
        device                  /dev/sdc2
        spare-disk              0

Michael@Insulin-Pumpers.org

* RE: Please help with a special RAID 1 setup
@ 2004-01-07 18:14 Rechenberg, Andrew
From: Rechenberg, Andrew @ 2004-01-07 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid; +Cc: Cress, Andrew R, Catalin BOIE, Mircea Ciocan

unused devices: <none>

[root@cinshrlnxlap01 ~]# mount /dev/md2 /mnt/cdrom/
[root@cinshrlnxlap01 ~]# cd /mnt/cdrom/
[root@cinshrlnxlap01 /mnt/cdrom]# dir
total 17
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         1024 Jan  7 12:09 .
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Dec 30 07:46 ..
drwx------    2 root     root        12288 Jan  7 12:09 lost+found

[root@cinshrlnxlap01 /mnt/cdrom]# touch hithere
[root@cinshrlnxlap01 /mnt]# umount cdrom/
[root@cinshrlnxlap01 /mnt]# raidstop /dev/md2
[root@cinshrlnxlap01 /mnt]# mount /dev/ram0 /mnt/cdrom/
[root@cinshrlnxlap01 /mnt]# ls -la cdrom/
total 17
drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         1024 Jan  7 12:10 .
drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Dec 30 07:46 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jan  7 12:10 hithere
drwx------    2 root     root        12288 Jan  7 12:09 lost+found
[root@cinshrlnxlap01 /mnt]# umount cdrom/
umount: /mnt/cdrom: device is busy
[root@cinshrlnxlap01 /mnt]# umount cdrom/
[root@cinshrlnxlap01 /mnt]# mount /dev/ram1 /mnt/cdrom/
[root@cinshrlnxlap01 /mnt]# mount /dev/ram2 /mnt/cdrom/
[root@cinshrlnxlap01 /mnt]# ls -la /mnt/cdrom/

@ 2004-01-07 16:09   ` Luca Berra
From: Luca Berra @ 2004-01-07 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mircea Ciocan; +Cc: linux-raid

Mircea Ciocan wrote:
>    Ouch, so is there really no posibility to obtain somehow what I
> explained in the previous mail ( a cvasi-realtime filesystem backup by
> attaching and detaching a device) :(((
> Please tell me that there is a posibility, my world is shattered ;)

use mdadm and recreate the array with 3 devices (using the missing
keyword in place of the 3rd drive), then hotadd the new disk.

this operation does not destroy your data, but be sure to test it on a
spare server until you are confident with the syntax

regards,
L.

* Re: Please help with a special RAID 1 setup
@ 2004-01-07 15:33 ` Mircea Ciocan
From: Mircea Ciocan @ 2004-01-07 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cress, Andrew R; +Cc: Catalin BOIE, linux-raid

@ 2004-01-07 15:32 Dr. Greg Wettstein
From: Dr. Greg Wettstein @ 2004-01-07 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mircea Ciocan, linux-raid

On Jan 7, 12:16pm, Mircea Ciocan wrote:
} Subject: Please help with a special RAID 1 setup

>     Hello all,

Good morning to everyone on the list(s).

>     First excuse me for a looong message, but I've tryed to give as much
> relevant details as possible.
>
>     Please help me with this weird setup if it is possible and fesable:
>
>     I have this raid1 device, composed of two fibre channel devices
> mounted in RAID1, it works absolutely flawlessly.
> The resulted device is used for a lot of important data logging and the
> ideea is to hotattach a 3-rd device ot the same size, wait for
> syncronisation and after all of them are syncronised, stop the data
> logging process, wait for a while, issue a sync command and hot detach
> the 3-rd device restart de data logging and walk away with valid
> filesytem backup of the main arry to be used as separate data analysys
> source. I know that solution is somewhat cumberome but trust me this is
> needed as is.

I know that it adds complexity but it would seem that this solution
would benefit from using LVM with its snap-shotting capabilities.

If you need to walk away with the data, snap the filesystem, copy the
snap to a separate device/filesystem, release the snap and you are
done.  I believe that there is a utility floating around that will
force synchronization of the filesystem (ext[23]) if your desire is to
have a coherent filesystem image as well.

I suspect that in the long run you will have a more coherent log image
with less muss and fuss.

>        Mircea Ciocan

Good luck with the project.

}-- End of excerpt from Mircea Ciocan

As always,
Dr. G.W. Wettstein, Ph.D.   Enjellic Systems Development, LLC.
4206 N. 19th Ave.           Specializing in information infra-structure
Fargo, ND  58102            development.
PH: 701-281-1686
FAX: 701-281-3949           EMAIL: greg@enjellic.com
"Given a choice between a complex, difficult-to-understand,
disconcerting explanation and a simplistic, comforting one, many
prefer simplistic comfort if it's remotely plausible, especially if it
involves blaming someone else for their problems."
                                -- Bob Lewis
                                   _Infoworld_

* RE: Please help with a special RAID 1 setup
@ 2004-01-07 14:48 Cress, Andrew R

@ 2004-01-07 13:47     ` Catalin BOIE
From: Catalin BOIE @ 2004-01-07 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mircea Ciocan; +Cc: linux-raid

@ 2004-01-07 13:31     ` Catalin BOIE
From: Catalin BOIE @ 2004-01-07 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mircea Ciocan; +Cc: linux-raid

>     Modified config file, umounted and stoped raid, restarted raid,
> hotadded the disk, still the same results :(.
> Any other ideeas ??
>
>     Mircea

Can you give us the logs?

---
Catalin(ux) BOIE
catab@deuroconsult.ro

* Re: Please help with a special RAID 1 setup
@ 2004-01-07 13:23   ` Mircea Ciocan
From: Mircea Ciocan @ 2004-01-07 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catalin BOIE; +Cc: linux-raid

@ 2004-01-07 12:20 ` Catalin BOIE
From: Catalin BOIE @ 2004-01-07 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mircea Ciocan; +Cc: linux-raid

>     Here are some relevant data of the test setup that may be usefull:
> [root@test]# cat /etc/raidtab
> raiddev /dev/md0
> raid-level      1
> nr-raid-disks   2
> nr-spare-disks  0
> chunk-size     4
> persistent-superblock 1
> device          /dev/sda2
> raid-disk       0
> device          /dev/sdb2
> raid-disk       1

I think that you must replace:
	nr-raid-disks   2
with
	nr-raid-disks   3
Plus, the correspinding entry:
	device          /dev/sdb3
	raid-disk       2

Else, the third drive isn't recognized as part of the md array.
Probably, you must restart the array (only first time).
You may want to use mdadm instead of raidtools.

> /proc/mdstat BEFORE adding the 3-rd device:
> [root@test]# cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid1]
> read_ahead 1024 sectors
> md0 : active raid1 scsi/host3/bus0/target0/lun0/part2[1]
> scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part2[0]
>       710938560 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> unused devices: <none>
>
> Then I add the 3-rd device:
> [root@test]# raidhotadd /dev/md0 /dev/sdb3
>
> /proc/mdstat AFTER adding 3-rd device
>
> [root@nfs10 root]# cat /proc/mdstat
> Personalities : [raid1]
> read_ahead 1024 sectors
> md0 : active raid1 scsi/host3/bus0/target0/lun0/part3[2]
> scsi/host3/bus0/target0/lun0/part2[1] scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part2[0]
>       710938560 blocks [2/2] [UU]
>
> unused devices: <none>
>
> Piece of the syslog showing the add results:
> Jan  7 12:09:01 nfs10 kernel: md: updating md0 RAID superblock on device
> Jan  7 12:09:01 nfs10 kernel: md: scsi/host3/bus0/target0/lun0/part3
> [events: 00000012]<6>(write) scsi/host3/bus0/target0/lun0/part3's sb
> offset: 725598144
> Jan  7 12:09:01 nfs10 kernel: md: scsi/host3/bus0/target0/lun0/part2
> [events: 00000012]<6>(write) scsi/host3/bus0/target0/lun0/part2's sb
> offset: 710938560
> Jan  7 12:09:01 nfs10 kernel: md: scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part2
> [events: 00000012]<6>(write) scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part2's sb
> offset: 710938560
>
>     The problem is that no sync is done, as a matter of fact the 3rd
> disk is not even scrached visibly ;(, did I miss someting obvious or
> what I want is impossible ???
>
>     Thank you for reading such a long mail and for any help that will
> lead me solving this,
>
>        Mircea Ciocan
>

> -

---
Catalin(ux) BOIE
catab@deuroconsult.ro

* Please help with a special RAID 1 setup
@ 2004-01-07 10:16 Mircea Ciocan
From: Mircea Ciocan @ 2004-01-07 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

    Hello all,
    First excuse me for a looong message, but I've tryed to give as much
relevant details as possible.

    Please help me with this weird setup if it is possible and fesable:

    I have this raid1 device, composed of two fibre channel devices
mounted in RAID1, it works absolutely flawlessly.
The resulted device is used for a lot of important data logging and the
ideea is to hotattach a 3-rd device ot the same size, wait for
syncronisation and after all of them are syncronised, stop the data
logging process, wait for a while, issue a sync command and hot detach
the 3-rd device restart de data logging and walk away with valid
filesytem backup of the main arry to be used as separate data analysys
source. I know that solution is somewhat cumberome but trust me this is
needed as is.
     Now if you read untill here I managed to hot-attach, the attaching
was mentioned in the syslogfile, the data logging process continued
undisturbed, even the cat /proc/mdstat showed the new device added BUT
it only showed the same two   [2/2] [UU] and it didn't touch the 3-rd
disk at all, also hotremoving was sucessful.