* Problem with __OLD_GET
@ 2004-01-15 14:23 Arve Knudsen
From: Arve Knudsen @ 2004-01-15 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi

Like I explained in a post some time back, I've been having problems with
not getting correct values from snd_pcm_hw_params functions (specifically
snd_pcm_hw_params_get_channels_max). I never got an answer though, and the
problem disappeared for a while. However it has reappeared, so I decided
to find the source (no pun intended) of the problem. It turns out for some
reason the deprecated symbols are getting called (__OLD_GET), so when I
expect to have the passed value pointer filled in, all that happens is it
gets zeroed. I'm afraid I don't understand all the preprocessor magic, so
I don't completely understand why this happens. That is, the correct
versions of these functions have been called correctly, but suddenly the
old ones are used instead.

Maybe its down to some weird linking problem, it only happens with a
dynamically loaded PortAudio plugin I've written for an xmms fork called
beep-media-player. If anyone could come up with a likely explanation as to
what's going on here, I'd be grateful. Is there some mechanism that
figures my lib is linked against an old version of ALSA-lib? Btw, I'm
using ALSA-lib 1.0.1, and drivers compiled into 2.6.1-mm2.

Thanks

Arve Knudsen

* Re: Problem with __OLD_GET
@ 2004-01-16 18:57 ` Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2004-01-16 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arve Knudsen; +Cc: alsa-devel

At Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:23:06 +0100,
Arve Knudsen wrote:

> Hi
>
> Like I explained in a post some time back, I've been having problems with
> not getting correct values from snd_pcm_hw_params functions (specifically
> snd_pcm_hw_params_get_channels_max). I never got an answer though, and the
> problem disappeared for a while. However it has reappeared, so I decided
> to find the source (no pun intended) of the problem. It turns out for some
> reason the deprecated symbols are getting called (__OLD_GET), so when I
> expect to have the passed value pointer filled in, all that happens is it
> gets zeroed. I'm afraid I don't understand all the preprocessor magic, so
> I don't completely understand why this happens. That is, the correct
> versions of these functions have been called correctly, but suddenly the
> old ones are used instead.
>
> Maybe its down to some weird linking problem, it only happens with a
> dynamically loaded PortAudio plugin I've written for an xmms fork called
> beep-media-player. If anyone could come up with a likely explanation as to
> what's going on here, I'd be grateful. Is there some mechanism that
> figures my lib is linked against an old version of ALSA-lib? Btw, I'm
> using ALSA-lib 1.0.1, and drivers compiled into 2.6.1-mm2.

is libtool enough new?
otherwise this kind of confusion can happen.

Takashi

http://www.eclipsecon.org/osdn

* Re: Problem with __OLD_GET
@ 2004-01-16 21:12   ` Arve Knudsen
From: Arve Knudsen @ 2004-01-16 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

Hi, Takashi

I have no experience with libtool myself, but from what I can see the
plugin host (beep-media-player) uses it. libtool --version tells me this:
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4.3 (1.922.2.111 2002/10/23 02:54:36). But at
the same time we have another person, Rene Rebe, posting about a similar
problem and who does not appear to be using libtool (correct me here if
I'm mistaken).

Regards

Arve Knudsen

@ 2004-01-16 22:57     ` Rene Rebe
From: Rene Rebe @ 2004-01-16 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aknuds-1; +Cc: tiwai, alsa-devel

Hi,

On: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 22:12:01 +0100,
    Arve Knudsen <aknuds-1@broadpark.no> wrote:
> Hi, Takashi
>
> I have no experience with libtool myself, but from what I can see the
> plugin host (beep-media-player) uses it. libtool --version tells me this:
> ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4.3 (1.922.2.111 2002/10/23 02:54:36). But at
> the same time we have another person, Rene Rebe, posting about a similar
> problem and who does not appear to be using libtool (correct me here if
> I'm mistaken).

Nope I do not use libtool - I posted the exact g{cc,++} lines used for
compiling and linking.

Althought it should not be that needed to track this down, our sources
are at:

  http://svn.rocklinux-consulting.de/gsmp/trunk/lowlevel/

they are not yet that advanced and only the tip of the iceberg of a
heavy cleanup/rewrite ...

Yours,
  René

--