* Dual P4 Xeon, will it work?
@ 2004-01-19 10:20 Jens Olav Nygaard
From: Jens Olav Nygaard @ 2004-01-19 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cpufreq

Hi, sorry if this is a faq, I'm new to the list and
being somewhat impatient I haven't gone through the
whole archive yet...

I'm just wondering if a dual P4 Xeon (specifically
Asus PC-DL Deluxe w/2xXeon 2.67 GHz w/HT) will
work with cpufreq. My whole upgrade-scheme hinges
on this being possible, since the machine is
supposed to run 24/7, but not as a big heat-plant
during most of these hours...

My colleague tried on an older Dell dual Xeon 1.7
GHz, kernel 2.6.0, but he didn't get it to work.
Now, this could be attributable to both old and
insufficient hardware, and his attempts not being
sincere enough, so I don't know...

Has anyone out there actually seen it working on
a dual Xeon?

thanks for any replies...

yours

Jens Olav Nygaard

--
Jens Olav Nygaard, Research Scientist
SINTEF Applied Mathematics, Geometric Modelling

* Re: Dual P4 Xeon, will it work?
@ 2004-01-19 11:38 ` Jens Olav Nygaard
From: Jens Olav Nygaard @ 2004-01-19 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cpufreq

Sorry to have bothered you all, we actually got it
to work on the Dell machine... :-)

Frequencies differing with a factor 4 produced
execution time differences of factor 2.6, I
suppose this has to do with RAM speed bottlenecks
or something, our test was just to gzip a big file.

Anyway, now I know it works! Great!

J.O.

--

@ 2004-01-19 12:48   ` Dominik Brodowski