* tty devices
@ 2004-01-17 19:51 Jon Smirl
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jon Smirl @ 2004-01-17 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

Why do I have 60 tty devices under udev; is this controllable?
What would I use the 60 tty devices for?

==Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@yahoo.com

* Re: tty devices
@ 2004-01-19 18:47 ` Greg KH
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Greg KH @ 2004-01-19 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 11:51:33AM -0800, Jon Smirl wrote:
> Why do I have 60 tty devices under udev; is this controllable?

You can make a rule up to ignore them if you really want to, but I
wouldn't recommend it.

> What would I use the 60 tty devices for?

Ask your kernel, it is what created all of those tty devices :)

greg k-h

* Re: tty devices
@ 2004-01-21 17:23 ` Bob Barry
From: Bob Barry @ 2004-01-21 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:51, Jon Smirl wrote:
> Why do I have 60 tty devices under udev; is this controllable?
> What would I use the 60 tty devices for?

I asked the same thing of Martin Schlemmer (the gentoo udev packager) :

>> I have several times pruned the tty's to tty0-tty6 and restarted.  I have verified that
>> dev-state/devices.bz2 contains only tty0-tty6, but hotplug/udev always re-creates
>> tty's through tty63.  Is that good or correct?  Is it configurable?

He replied:

> That is what is supported by the kernel, so is created.  You could
> change the tty stuff in /etc/udev/udev.rules to rather call a script,
> and only handle what you want ...

Like Jon, I feel it's contrary to udev's charter.  Is it really right?

Thanks,

Bob Barry

* Re: tty devices
@ 2004-01-21 23:47 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2004-01-21 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 07:23:46PM +0200, Bob Barry wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:51, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > Why do I have 60 tty devices under udev; is this controllable?
> > What would I use the 60 tty devices for?
>
> I asked the same thing of Martin Schlemmer (the gentoo udev packager) :
>
> >> I have several times pruned the tty's to tty0-tty6 and restarted.  I have verified that
> >> dev-state/devices.bz2 contains only tty0-tty6, but hotplug/udev always re-creates
> >> tty's through tty63.  Is that good or correct?  Is it configurable?
>
> He replied:
>
> > That is what is supported by the kernel, so is created.  You could
> > change the tty stuff in /etc/udev/udev.rules to rather call a script,
> > and only handle what you want ...
>
> Like Jon, I feel it's contrary to udev's charter.  Is it really right?

"udev's charter"?  Huh?

The kernel is creating all of those tty devices.  It is exporting that
information to userspace.  If udev it told to, it will create all of
those device nodes.  If you write a rule to ignore them, udev will
ignore them.

What's the problem here?

And are you _sure_ you don't need those nodes?  Some programs expect to
see them (screen, expect, etc.)

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: tty devices
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-01-22  0:05 ` Jon Smirl
From: Jon Smirl @ 2004-01-22  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

Greg is right, this is not a udev problem it is a kernel problem. The kernel
needs to be fixed to not create all of those devices. One solution might be for
the kernel to start off with two tty devices. Then as each tty device is opened,
the kernel driver would create another one. Any how, the place to fix this is in
the kernel tty driver.

--- Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 07:23:46PM +0200, Bob Barry wrote:
> > On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:51, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > > Why do I have 60 tty devices under udev; is this controllable?
> > > What would I use the 60 tty devices for?
> >
> > I asked the same thing of Martin Schlemmer (the gentoo udev packager) :

> verified that
> re-creates
> >
> > He replied:
> >
> > > That is what is supported by the kernel, so is created.  You could
> > > change the tty stuff in /etc/udev/udev.rules to rather call a script,
> > > and only handle what you want ...
> >
> > Like Jon, I feel it's contrary to udev's charter.  Is it really right?
>
> "udev's charter"?  Huh?
>
> The kernel is creating all of those tty devices.  It is exporting that
> information to userspace.  If udev it told to, it will create all of
> those device nodes.  If you write a rule to ignore them, udev will
> ignore them.
>
> What's the problem here?
>
> And are you _sure_ you don't need those nodes?  Some programs expect to
> see them (screen, expect, etc.)
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

==Jon Smirl