* udev source size
@ 2004-01-19  8:47 Tomas
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tomas @ 2004-01-19  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

Binary size of udev is 50 KB, but source size is >2MB.
Is this necessary?

Thank you

Tomas

* Re: udev source size
@ 2004-01-19 13:40 ` Martin Hicks
From: Martin Hicks @ 2004-01-19 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:47:02AM +0100, Tomas wrote:
> Binary size of udev is 50 KB, but source size is >2MB.
> Is this necessary?

It's due to the udev tarball including a whole whack of external stuff.
I believe that Greg is doing this because many of these programs and
libraries are very young, so compatibility changes from version to
version.

The tarball is currently carrying around libsysfs and klibc.  The bulk
of the extra space is klibc.

mh

--
Martin Hicks || mort@bork.org || PGP/GnuPG: 0x4C7F2BEE

* Re: udev source size
@ 2004-01-19 19:51 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2004-01-19 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 08:40:44AM -0500, Martin Hicks wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:47:02AM +0100, Tomas wrote:
> > Binary size of udev is 50 KB, but source size is >2MB.
> > Is this necessary?
>
> It's due to the udev tarball including a whole whack of external stuff.
> I believe that Greg is doing this because many of these programs and
> libraries are very young, so compatibility changes from version to
> version.
>
> The tarball is currently carrying around libsysfs and klibc.  The bulk
> of the extra space is klibc.

We also have a copy of a sysfs tree in order to run tests.

But the bulk of the tarball is probably the bitkeeper data.  The tarball
contains all of the bitkeeper metadata so that anyone can see the entire
revision history.

Is it really a big deal that the tarball is the current size?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: udev source size
@ 2004-01-19 20:52 ` Martin Hicks
From: Martin Hicks @ 2004-01-19 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:51:16AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 08:40:44AM -0500, Martin Hicks wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 09:47:02AM +0100, Tomas wrote:
> > > Binary size of udev is 50 KB, but source size is >2MB.
> > > Is this necessary?
> >
> > It's due to the udev tarball including a whole whack of external stuff.
> > I believe that Greg is doing this because many of these programs and
> > libraries are very young, so compatibility changes from version to
> > version.
> >
> > The tarball is currently carrying around libsysfs and klibc.  The bulk
> > of the extra space is klibc.
>
> We also have a copy of a sysfs tree in order to run tests.
>
> But the bulk of the tarball is probably the bitkeeper data.  The tarball
> contains all of the bitkeeper metadata so that anyone can see the entire
> revision history.

Yeah, you're right about that.  The tree size goes from  8972 down to
4504 if I do:

find . -type d -name BitKeeper -o -name SCCS | xargs rm -rf

> Is it really a big deal that the tarball is the current size?

not to me...

mh

--
Martin Hicks || mort@bork.org || PGP/GnuPG: 0x4C7F2BEE