* how to compile gtk Progs in Linux
@ 2004-01-21  7:09 K.Anantha Kiran
From: K.Anantha Kiran @ 2004-01-21  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-c-programming

need ahelp.

am doing a prj in linux using c.
using gtk for gui interface.
gtk code in c.

using gcc. but could not compile.
all gtk lib are at default place. still.

can u pls ask ur frndz there and mail me how to compile gtk programs in c using gcc.

thank you.

sorry for the trouble.
and thanks for all the help.

bye .

aman hardikar m

mail me at :

virtuosolabs@linux.net  or @yahoo.com

* Re: how to compile gtk Progs in Linux
@ 2004-01-21 11:04 ` Glynn Clements
From: Glynn Clements @ 2004-01-21 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: K.Anantha Kiran; +Cc: linux-c-programming

K.Anantha Kiran wrote:

> am doing a prj in linux using c.
> using gtk for gui interface.
> gtk code in c.
>
> using gcc. but could not compile.

Usually, it helps to say exactly what happened, e.g. error messages.

> all gtk lib are at default place. still.
>
> can u pls ask ur frndz there and mail me how to compile gtk programs
> in c using gcc.

You need to specify the appropriate compiler/linker switches.

For GTK 1.x, you can use "gtk-config --cflags" to obtain the necessary
compiler switches and "gtk-config --libs" for the linker switches.

For GTK 2.x, use "pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0" and
"pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0" instead.

For a "standard" GTK 1.x installation, it is usually sufficient to add
-I/usr/lib/glib/include to the compiler switches and -lgtk to the
linker switches.

OTOH, GTK 2.x often requires a lot of switches, so I suggest running
pkg-config from the Makefile, e.g.:

	GTKFLAGS	:= $(shell pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0)
	GTKLIBS		:= $(shell pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0)

Note the use of ":=" rather than "=", so that the command is only run
once, not every time the variable is used.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net>

* Re: how to compile gtk Progs in Linux
@ 2004-01-21 13:52 ` Alphex K.
From: Alphex K. @ 2004-01-21 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: virtuosolabs; +Cc: linux-c-programming

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:39:24 +0530 (IST)
"K.Anantha Kiran" <ananth@cse.iitk.ac.in> wrote:

> need ahelp.
>
> am doing a prj in linux using c.
> using gtk for gui interface.
> gtk code in c.
>
> using gcc. but could not compile.
> all gtk lib are at default place. still.
>
> can u pls ask ur frndz there and mail me how to compile gtk programs in c using gcc.
>
> thank you.
>
> sorry for the trouble.
> and thanks for all the help.
>
> bye .
>
> aman hardikar m
>
> mail me at :
>
> virtuosolabs@linux.net  or @yahoo.com

So, U need to create autogen.sh and other automake files to determine where
is localted gtk libs

if U don't khown how to do it please mail me
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-c-programming" in

Alphex Kaanoken
Senior developer of Crew IT research labs
web: http://crew.org.ru
mailto:Alphex@Crew.Org.RU