* iptables routing help
@ 2004-01-24 21:25 William Knop
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: William Knop @ 2004-01-24 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hello,
My dsl provider has my house on several subnets (ips obtained via dhcp,
along with a netmask of 255.255.255.0), so I have had to screw around
with each machine to make sure local traffic doesn't flood the dsl
modem. To remedy this, I've been trying to set up a firewall box to
basically reroute those three subnets as local, but I'm finding it very
difficult. It seems like every doc out there only addresses nat, which
is definitely not what we want. I'd greatly appreciate some help
accomplishing this.

Thanks much,
William

* Re: iptables routing help
@ 2004-01-25  4:27 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2004-01-25  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

im not shure if i can understand the schema, could be more specific?

thanks

> My dsl provider has my house on several subnets (ips obtained via dhcp,
> along with a netmask of 255.255.255.0), so I have had to screw around
> with each machine to make sure local traffic doesn't flood the dsl
> modem. To remedy this, I've been trying to set up a firewall box to
> basically reroute those three subnets as local, but I'm finding it very
> difficult. It seems like every doc out there only addresses nat, which
> is definitely not what we want. I'd greatly appreciate some help
> accomplishing this.
>
> Thanks much,
> William

* Re: iptables routing help
@ 2004-01-25  8:57 ` Antony Stone
From: Antony Stone @ 2004-01-25  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On Saturday 24 January 2004 9:25 pm, William Knop wrote:

> Hello,
> My dsl provider has my house on several subnets (ips obtained via dhcp,
> along with a netmask of 255.255.255.0), so I have had to screw around
> with each machine to make sure local traffic doesn't flood the dsl
> modem. To remedy this, I've been trying to set up a firewall box to
> basically reroute those three subnets as local, but I'm finding it very
> difficult. It seems like every doc out there only addresses nat, which
> is definitely not what we want. I'd greatly appreciate some help
> accomplishing this.

This is not a netfilter question - in fact quite the opposite - it is an IP
routing question, which netfilter will only help to interfere with.

All netfilter would do for you in a case like this is help to drop packets
which would otherwise be routed.   Netfilter doesn't route packets - that's
the job of the normal routing table.

Many times on this list a question is answered with "get your basic routing
working first, then start implementing netfilter rules to drop things you
don't want."   In your case the correct routing table entries will solve your
problem - there's almost certainly no need for netfilter to be involved
except as the perimeter firewall just before your networks hit the DSL.

I suggest you start with something like
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Networking-Overview-HOWTO.html or
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/IP-Subnetworking.html - alternatively a
standard IP book such as O'Reilly's "TCP/IP Network Administration" by Craig
Hunt will tell you what you need.

The main thing is to make sure you don't have netfilter rules blocking what
your routing table would otherwise allow between your local subnets.

Hope this helps,

Antony.

--
Most people are aware that the Universe is big.

 - Paul Davies, Professor of Theoretical Physics

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.

* Re: iptables routing help
@ 2004-01-25  9:18 ` Antony Stone
From: Antony Stone @ 2004-01-25  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On Saturday 24 January 2004 9:25 pm, William Knop wrote:

> Hello,
> My dsl provider has my house on several subnets (ips obtained via dhcp,
> along with a netmask of 255.255.255.0), so I have had to screw around
> with each machine to make sure local traffic doesn't flood the dsl
> modem.

An alternative solution to this would be to set up a nice simple internal
network for whatever machines you want to run, doing your own DHCP etc, and
then hide all these behind a single firewall talking to the DSL modem on a
single external IP address.

Unless you actually have a need for multilple external addresses, this is
probably your best solution, as it means you remain in control of your
internal network addressing, not your ISP.

Regards,

Antony.

--
There's no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes.

 - Billy Connolly

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.

* Re: iptables routing help
@ 2004-01-27 11:46   ` John A. Sullivan III
From: John A. Sullivan III @ 2004-01-27 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Knop; +Cc: bmcdowell, netfilter

That's understandable - inserting a second interface is quite
intrusive.  However, creating a logical interface does not require
inserting a second NIC - merely binding a second IP address to the
existing NIC - two networks running on the same NIC - John

--

@ 2004-01-27  4:37 ` William Knop
From: William Knop @ 2004-01-27  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bmcdowell; +Cc: john.sullivan, netfilter

Unfortunately, using two interfaces isn't an option, either. A friend
of mine suggested vpn, however there has to be a cleaner route.

I thought I could drop packets from the prerouting table and it would
fall into the default routing table or something like that. Surely
there has to be a way.

On Jan 26, 2004, at 11:29 AM, <bmcdowell@coxhealthplans.com> wrote:

> I was about to suggest the exact same thing.
>

> Bob

* RE: iptables routing help
@ 2004-01-26 16:29 bmcdowell
From: bmcdowell @ 2004-01-26 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: john.sullivan, w_knop; +Cc: netfilter

@ 2004-01-26 12:06 ` John A. Sullivan III
From: John A. Sullivan III @ 2004-01-26 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Knop; +Cc: netfilter

@ 2004-01-25 18:53 William Knop
From: William Knop @ 2004-01-25 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Okay, the problem is that we don't want to do nat (as I said in my
original plee for help). We need external ips on all of the machines.
Additionally, The ISP's DHCP server specifies it's own gateway, so I
can't do normal routing, without spoofing the gateway's address and
doing all sorts of ugly stuff (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I was under the impression one could have iptables drop a packet from
the prerouting or brouting table and it would go through the machine's
routing table, without being specified on all the lan machines as the
gateway.

The physical layout we have are a bunch of boxes connected to a switch,
and the dsl modem connected to the switch's uplink port. I could have
the modem jack into a firewall box, or something, however the linux
ethernet bridge seems to do very odd things to arps, and also iptables.
Would bridging be necessary?

> On January 25, 2004 12:31 am, William Knop wrote:
> > Say I want to transfer a file from one computer to another in my
> house.
> > Since they are on different subnets, the data is routed out my modem
> > the gateway at my isp, and then back in my modem and to the other
> > computer in my house. Ideally (in any reasonable setup), the data
> > should not leave the house and flood my dsl modem with local traffic.
> >
> > So, I want to grab packets destined for the gateway (via a
> > firewall/iptables), check if the packet is destined for one of the
> > three local subnets, and make the packet go directly to it's
> > destination. I'm not sure if this has to do with ethernet frames,
> > tcp/ip, or arp or something like that, but I've tried lots of things
> > with minimal success.
> >
> > > im not shure if i can understand the schema, could be more
> specific?
> > >
> > > thanks
> > >

>         Okay ...you have a LAN inside the DSL modem that has
>         externally routable IPs on different subnets, and you want
>         to setup an internal routing table that knows all of these
>         hosts.
>
>         One question ... what is the physical setup involved?
>
>         i.e. are all the boxes involved connected directly to the DSL
> modem?
>         is the Linux/Iptables box the only box connected to the DSL
> modem, and
>         the downstream boxes are connected to a switch/hub off a
> secondary
>         interface off the firewall box?
>
>         -- I suspect from your description we are looking at
> DSLmodem/router to
>         separate boxes ...
>

>         Alistair

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/enriched, Size: 3893 bytes --]

Okay, the problem is that we don't want to do nat (as I said in my
original plee for help). We need external ips on all of the machines.
Additionally, The ISP's DHCP server specifies it's own gateway, so I
can't do normal routing, without spoofing the gateway's address and
doing all sorts of ugly stuff (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I was under the impression one could have iptables drop a packet from
the prerouting or brouting table and it would go through the machine's
routing table, without being specified on all the lan machines as the
gateway.

The physical layout we have are a bunch of boxes connected to a
switch, and the dsl modem connected to the switch's uplink port. I
could have the modem jack into a firewall box, or something, however
the linux ethernet bridge seems to do very odd things to arps, and
also iptables. Would bridging be necessary?

25, 2004 12:31 am, William Knop wrote:

></x-tad-bigger><italic><x-tad-bigger> Say I want to transfer a file
from one computer to another in my house.

</x-tad-bigger></italic><x-tad-bigger>></x-tad-bigger><italic><x-tad-bigger>
Since they are on different subnets, the data is routed out my modem to

</x-tad-bigger></fontfamily></excerpt>

* Re: iptables routing help
@ 2004-01-25 17:09 ` Unknown, Alistair Tonner
From: Unknown, Alistair Tonner @ 2004-01-25 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Knop, netfilter

@ 2004-01-25 16:56 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2004-01-25 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Netfilter

in this case (i understand now)
Like Antony said, the better approach is to make a linux box with
netfilter as firewall and 2 nics.

One of this nics connected to the dsl modem and the other nic as the
LAN.

So all boxes inside de lan are connected, and you must configure nat in
the linux box in order to the LAN boxes reach internet.

--
Alexis <alexis@attla.net.ar>

* Re: iptables routing help
@ 2004-01-25  5:31 William Knop
From: William Knop @ 2004-01-25  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Say I want to transfer a file from one computer to another in my house.
Since they are on different subnets, the data is routed out my modem to
the gateway at my isp, and then back in my modem and to the other
computer in my house. Ideally (in any reasonable setup), the data
should not leave the house and flood my dsl modem with local traffic.

So, I want to grab packets destined for the gateway (via a
firewall/iptables), check if the packet is destined for one of the
three local subnets, and make the packet go directly to it's
destination. I'm not sure if this has to do with ethernet frames,
tcp/ip, or arp or something like that, but I've tried lots of things
with minimal success.

> im not shure if i can understand the schema, could be more specific?
>
> thanks

[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/enriched, Size: 3185 bytes --]

a file from one computer to another in my house. Since they are on
different subnets, the data is routed out my modem to the gateway at
my isp, and then back in my modem and to the other computer in my
house. Ideally (in any reasonable setup), the data should not leave
the house and flood my dsl modem with local traffic.

So, I want to grab packets destined for the gateway (via a
firewall/iptables), check if the packet is destined for one of the
three local subnets, and make the packet go directly to it's
destination. I'm not sure if this has to do with ethernet frames,
tcp/ip, or arp or something like that, but I've tried lots of things
with minimal success.

</x-tad-bigger></fontfamily>