* hotplug question
@ 2004-02-02  4:59 Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2004-02-02  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Greetings;

About a week ago I did and rm -fR on the hotplug stuffs because it was
totally hanging the boot for some reason.

Tonight I re-installed it and did a test reboot to 2.6.2-rc3.  When it
got to "Starting hotplug", the init script sat there for around 30
seconds, and eventually said OK.  It did load the one module I have
set as a module, for the pl-2303 seriel to usb adaptor.  Or at least
I didn't have to do it by hand with modprobe.

Is this huge, even worse than kudzu, boot delay normal for hotplug?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

* Re: hotplug question
@ 2004-02-02  5:13 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2004-02-02  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Heskett; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 11:59:45PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> About a week ago I did and rm -fR on the hotplug stuffs because it was
> totally hanging the boot for some reason.
>
> Tonight I re-installed it and did a test reboot to 2.6.2-rc3.  When it
> got to "Starting hotplug", the init script sat there for around 30
> seconds, and eventually said OK.  It did load the one module I have
> set as a module, for the pl-2303 seriel to usb adaptor.  Or at least
> I didn't have to do it by hand with modprobe.
>
> Is this huge, even worse than kudzu, boot delay normal for hotplug?

Try enabling the debug messages in the hotplug system to see what is
taking so long.

Yeah, I've seen it take quite some time on some hardware before, as the
different drivers would pause the system as they were loaded.

greg k-h