* pnp missing proc entries?
@ 2004-02-18  7:44 Mark Hindley
From: Mark Hindley @ 2004-02-18  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I have just switched to 2.6 and am trying to resolve and irq conflict
between a sound card and internal modem.

Looking in Documentation/pnp.txt there should be files in
proc/bus/isapnp/<node>/{id,resources,options}.

However all I have is plain node at /proc/bnus/isapnp/<node> that dumps
some binary data.

Is the documentation out of date? I can see the calls to make the
missing nodes in pnp_add_device() but can't find it called from
anywhere. Is this a deliberate omission?

Thanks

Mark

* Re: pnp missing proc entries?
@ 2004-02-18 11:24 ` Adam Belay
From: Adam Belay @ 2004-02-18 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Hindley; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 07:44:14AM +0000, Mark Hindley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just switched to 2.6 and am trying to resolve and irq conflict
> between a sound card and internal modem.

Is the pnp layer complaining about this conflict?  Are you using pnpbios
support?  Are both the sound card and internal modem isapnp devices?

> Looking in Documentation/pnp.txt there should be files in
> proc/bus/isapnp/<node>/{id,resources,options}.
>
> However all I have is plain node at /proc/bnus/isapnp/<node> that dumps
> some binary data.
>
> Is the documentation out of date? I can see the calls to make the

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  I'll update the documentation
soon.

> missing nodes in pnp_add_device() but can't find it called from
> anywhere. Is this a deliberate omission?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark

You can access this information through sysfs.

try something like this:
mkdir /sys
mount -t sysfs none /sys

Thanks,
Adam

* Re: pnp missing proc entries?
@ 2004-02-21 14:33   ` Mark Hindley
From: Mark Hindley @ 2004-02-21 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Belay, Mark Hindley, linux-kernel

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 11:24:14AM +0000, Adam Belay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 07:44:14AM +0000, Mark Hindley wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have just switched to 2.6 and am trying to resolve and irq conflict
> > between a sound card and internal modem.
>
> Is the pnp layer complaining about this conflict?  Are you using pnpbios
> support?  Are both the sound card and internal modem isapnp devices?

Both are internal -- Rockwell/ALS100. I get no complaints from the pnp
layer, other than a refusal to config one if the other modules is
loaded. Both want to use irq 5. I have pnpbios in too.

I have just fixed a problem with unloading the 8250_pnp module, so am
hoping I can delve into this a bit more.

It seems that pnp is only trying the first config option for the device
and then bailing out if that won't fit with what else is setup.

Mark

* pnp missing proc entries?
@ 2004-02-18  7:59 Mark Hindley
From: Mark Hindley @ 2004-02-18  7:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

>I can see the calls to make the
>missing nodes in pnp_add_device()

Sorry, that shold be pnp_interface_attach_device() called from
pnp_add_device()