* linux box wont boot after udev install
@ 2004-02-26 23:46 Philip MacIver
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Philip MacIver @ 2004-02-26 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

Could someone (anyone) please help. Ever since buying my scanner a few days ago I have been going crazy and spending
many many (many) hours trying to get my linux box to recognise the device when I am a normal user and not just when I'm
root. Then I cam across udev and spent a good few hours reading the documentation available for it. So now I have
installed it (because I liked what I read). the thing is I modified the rc.sysinit script manually and added the two
lines just after proc gets mounted to mount sysfs and then to start udev. I did all the rest of the configuration as per
the how-to instructions that came in the tar ball. When I restart my system it complained that it couldn't find
/dev/hda*, and sure enough when I looked in /dev none of my hda devices were there. I then tried running udev with the
udev_root set to /udev and all the device got created properly, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I did try to use
the patch to patch my rc.sysinit file but it doesn't seem to work for me it just says

[root@reddevils rc.d]# patch -p0 < udev.patch
patching file /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
Hunk #1 FAILED at 32.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.rej

So could someone please walk me through the steps that I need to take to resolve my issues.

Thanks in advance.

p.s.
here is the output from uname -a
Linux reddevils 2.6.3 #3 Tue Feb 24 20:48:45 GMT 2004 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
and i'm running redhat 9 (shrike)

* Re: linux box wont boot after udev install
@ 2004-02-28  0:20 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2004-02-28  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 11:46:37PM +0000, Philip MacIver wrote:

> So could someone please walk me through the steps that I need to take
> to resolve my issues.

If the steps in my document don't work for you, I would recommend
waiting for your distro to intregrate udev into their boot process.

Good luck,

greg k-h

* Re: linux box wont boot after udev install
@ 2004-02-28  3:29 ` Philip MacIver
From: Philip MacIver @ 2004-02-28  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:20:44 -0800
Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 11:46:37PM +0000, Philip MacIver wrote:
> >
> > So could someone please walk me through the steps that I need to take
> > to resolve my issues.
>
> If the steps in my document don't work for you, I would recommend
> waiting for your distro to intregrate udev into their boot process.
>
> Good luck,
>
> greg k-h

That's a shame I was looking forward to using it now.

|-----------------------------------------------------------|
                       Philip MacIver
|-----------------------------------------------------------|
                        - Email -
                philipmaciver@yahoo.co.uk
|-----------------------------------------------------------|

* Re: linux box wont boot after udev install
@ 2004-02-28  6:51 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2004-02-28  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hotplug

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 03:29:40AM +0000, Philip MacIver wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 16:20:44 -0800
> Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 11:46:37PM +0000, Philip MacIver wrote:
> > >
> > > So could someone please walk me through the steps that I need to take
> > > to resolve my issues.
> >
> > If the steps in my document don't work for you, I would recommend
> > waiting for your distro to intregrate udev into their boot process.
> >

> That's a shame I was looking forward to using it now.

Then keep trying :)

Seriously, as every distro seems to do this differently, it's going to
have to take some work to get it right for you, until distros intregrate
it for you.

Think of it as a challenge :)

good luck,

greg k-h