* Can't eject jaz disk on 2.6
@ 2004-03-27 12:59 Wakko Warner
From: Wakko Warner @ 2004-03-27 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I've used 2.6.0 to 2.6.4 on a computer with a jaz drive.
Using eject 2.0.13, I'm unable to eject the disk.  I have tested on 2.4.24
and it does eject.

* Re: Can't eject jaz disk on 2.6
@ 2004-03-27 22:42 ` Matthew Dharm
From: Matthew Dharm @ 2004-03-27 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wakko Warner; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 07:59:18AM -0500, Wakko Warner wrote:
> I've used 2.6.0 to 2.6.4 on a computer with a jaz drive.
> Using eject 2.0.13, I'm unable to eject the disk.  I have tested on 2.4.24
> and it does eject.

Over on the usb-storage list, we've just become aware of a similar problem.

Are you using SCSI or IDE?

We've actually recorded the SCSI layer sending us a PREVENT_MEDIUM_REMOVAL,
then a START_STOP (to actually eject), and then an ALLOW_MEDIUM_REMOVAL.
So, nothing gets ejected.  This is under 2.6.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@one-eyed-alien.net

S:  Another stupid question?
G:  There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people.
					-- Stef and Greg
User Friendly, 7/15/1998

* Re: Can't eject jaz disk on 2.6
@ 2004-03-27 22:52     ` Matthew Dharm
From: Matthew Dharm @ 2004-03-27 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wakko Warner; +Cc: linux-kernel, Linux SCSI list, USB Storage List

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 06:00:18PM -0500, Wakko Warner wrote:
> > > I've used 2.6.0 to 2.6.4 on a computer with a jaz drive.
> > > Using eject 2.0.13, I'm unable to eject the disk.  I have tested on 2.4.24
> > > and it does eject.
> >
> > Over on the usb-storage list, we've just become aware of a similar problem.
>
> What was it with?

The device in question there was an Iomega USB Zip 100 drive.

> > Are you using SCSI or IDE?
>
> SCSI.  I thought all JAZ disks were scsi?

I wasn't sure.  USB is emulated through the SCSI layer, tho.  I would
recommend we take this discussion to the linux-scsi mailing list.

> > We've actually recorded the SCSI layer sending us a PREVENT_MEDIUM_REMOVAL,
> > then a START_STOP (to actually eject), and then an ALLOW_MEDIUM_REMOVAL.
> > So, nothing gets ejected.  This is under 2.6.
>
> I have noticed that when I attempt to eject, it spins the disk backup,
> spins down and that's it.

The user of the Zip 100 actually sent us logs showing this behavior.  We
assume it's coming from the SCSI system, as usb-storage doesn't contain
anything remotely resembling this....

Repeated uses of the 'eject' command generated the same sequence in his
test scenario, but his Zip 100 actually ejected the media on the second
try.  I think that's a device-dependent behavior, tho.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@one-eyed-alien.net

I say, what are all those naked people doing?
					-- Big client to Stef
User Friendly, 12/14/1997

* Re: Can't eject jaz disk on 2.6
@ 2004-03-27 23:00   ` Wakko Warner
From: Wakko Warner @ 2004-03-27 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Dharm; +Cc: linux-kernel

@ 2004-03-28  0:07       ` Wakko Warner
From: Wakko Warner @ 2004-03-28  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Dharm, Linux SCSI list, USB Storage List

Keep me in CC, I removed linux-kernel list, I'm not on the other 2.

> > > Over on the usb-storage list, we've just become aware of a similar problem.
> >
> > What was it with?
>
> The device in question there was an Iomega USB Zip 100 drive.

I see.

> > > Are you using SCSI or IDE?
> >
> > SCSI.  I thought all JAZ disks were scsi?
>
> I wasn't sure.  USB is emulated through the SCSI layer, tho.  I would
> recommend we take this discussion to the linux-scsi mailing list.

IIRC all JAZ drivers were scsi.  Looks like they no longer make the jaz
drive.

> > > We've actually recorded the SCSI layer sending us a PREVENT_MEDIUM_REMOVAL,
> > > then a START_STOP (to actually eject), and then an ALLOW_MEDIUM_REMOVAL.
> > > So, nothing gets ejected.  This is under 2.6.
> >
> > I have noticed that when I attempt to eject, it spins the disk backup,
> > spins down and that's it.
>
> The user of the Zip 100 actually sent us logs showing this behavior.  We
> assume it's coming from the SCSI system, as usb-storage doesn't contain
> anything remotely resembling this....
>
> Repeated uses of the 'eject' command generated the same sequence in his
> test scenario, but his Zip 100 actually ejected the media on the second
> try.  I think that's a device-dependent behavior, tho.

Didn't for me, but I only ran eject 2 times.  I did not want to add
unnecessary wear on the motor since it spins up and back down.  I'm sure it
is with scsi, but I don't have a zip drive.  (Didn't see the need, 100mb is
nothing nowadays)

* Re: [usb-storage] Re: Can't eject jaz disk on 2.6
@ 2004-03-29 15:40         ` Pat LaVarre
From: Pat LaVarre @ 2004-03-29 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Dharm; +Cc: Wakko Warner, Linux SCSI list, USB Storage List

The SCSI jaz 1GB interpretation of ops x1B/ x1E matches the USB/ ATAPI
zip handling, as I mis/remember its 1995-11 release.  I'd love to hear
more concrete proof, if an apparent difference exists.

jaz 2GB could but should not differ from jaz 1GB: released from Iomega
San Jose rather than from Iomega Utah.  USB jaz could but should not
differ from SCSI 1GB: bridged to USB from SCSI by some third party,
perhaps then resold by Iomega.  PPT/ SCSI Bernoulli/ zip we know
differs from USB/ ATAPI zip/ jaz because the PPT/ SCSI zip design is
old enough to remind us that t10.org grew the pdt x 00/ 06/ 07 op x1B
definition incompatibly in SCSI-2, vs. the not-available-gratis SCSI-1.

Pat LaVarre