* RE: Masquarede stalls?
@ 2004-08-10 19:13 Jason Opperisano
From: Jason Opperisano @ 2004-08-10 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

> Unfortunately "tcpdump -n -nn -p -i ppp0 icmp" gives nothing (I hope i did it well :)).
> (what is -nn ? I cannot find that in the manpage.)

       -n     Don't convert host addresses to names.   This  can  be  used  to
              avoid DNS lookups.

       -nn    Don't convert protocol and port numbers etc. to names either.

guess that depends on the specific tcpdump you have...

> Are you sure this is a ICMP related problem? I can ping everything very quickly and correctly from the internal net. The things go wrong somewhere during the connections. :-( However you must be right, im not guru.

it's not an ICMP problem--it's a TCP problem.  the error message that tells you there is a TCP problem is an ICMP packet, however...

> And whats  that clamp-mss-to-mtu thing ? :)

you can try adding:

  iptables -I FORWARD -i $INTERNAL_IF -p tcp --syn -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu
-OR-
  iptables -I FORWARD -i $INTERNAL_IF -p tcp --syn -j TCPMSS --set-mss 1400

to your test scenario to see if that fixes your problem.  if i recall correctly, MSS = MTU - 40.  if you have an MTU issue--you're best bet is to play around with tcpdump and different values of "--set-mss" until you don't have the problem anymore (unless "--clamp-mss-to-pmtu" magically works for you--it didn't for me).

-j

* RE: Masquarede stalls?
@ 2004-08-10 18:33 Jason Opperisano
From: Jason Opperisano @ 2004-08-10 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meszaros Gergely, netfilter

> Hi!
>
> Are there any issues about netfilter in kernel 2.4.25 ?
>
> I tried to make a masquerading setup, but all connections from the internal network what is larger than a minimal size are stalls, and just waits waits waits...
>
> What can it be?
>
> My ultra-simplified ipfilter (for debugging purpose) is:
>
>       iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
>       iptables -A FORWARD -j ACCEPT
>

> . I have a simple two-network-card-gateway server and 192.168.* internal net setup.
> . from the server everything is perfect.
> . from the internal net, one can ping everything correctly (masquerade is working, just buggy)
> . from the internal net every connection initialised correctly, however
>       large enough (larger than 1 packet?) data is buggy and stalls.
>
> So, i can reach very short homepages, and can ping from the int net but
> everything else will stall.

those symptoms point to an MTU issue.  the way to check this would be to tcpdump on the outside interface of your firewall for ICMP unreachable messages (tcpdump -n -nn -p -i ppp0 icmp)...look for something along the lines of "need to frag, but DF bit is set"  if you see that, you need to lower the MTU/MSS of your clients, either directly on the clients or with some mangling on the firewall.

-j

* Masquarede stalls?
@ 2004-08-10 18:23 Meszaros Gergely
From: Meszaros Gergely @ 2004-08-10 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]