* [U-Boot-Users] Could one image work with both LCD and serial console?
       [not found] <E1C0wt2-0004l8-Ts@sc8-sf-list1.sourceforge.net>
@ 2004-08-28 10:16 ` Sam Song
From: Sam Song @ 2004-08-28 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi, all,

I have such a puzzle whether I could switch to serial
consle once defining CONFIG_LCD in <board>.h. If
could, how to implement it? I was often in such an
embarrassed situation that I must erase the fireware
when I wanted to work on serial console after setting
CONFIG_LCD. Also,it seems that I cannot make serial
console image switch to LCD output by simply setting
stderr and stdout as LCD. Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Sam

150??MP3????????????
http://music.yisou.com/
???????????????????
http://image.yisou.com
1G??1000???????????
http://cn.rd.yahoo.com/mail_cn/tag/1g/*http://cn.mail.yahoo.com/event/mail_1g/

* [U-Boot-Users] Could one image work with both LCD and serial console?
@ 2004-08-28 17:39   ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2004-08-28 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

In message <20040828101644.9484.qmail@web15605.mail.cnb.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> I have such a puzzle whether I could switch to serial
> consle once defining CONFIG_LCD in <board>.h. If

Sure, this is supported by default.

> could, how to implement it? I was often in such an

No need to implement anything; this is all available right out of the
box.

> embarrassed situation that I must erase the fireware
> when I wanted to work on serial console after setting
> CONFIG_LCD. Also,it seems that I cannot make serial

Just type "setenv stdout serial;setenv stdin serial" - if  you  want;
you can put this command sequence in the "preboot" variable (assuming
you enabled CONFIG_PREBOOT for your board).

> console image switch to LCD output by simply setting
> stderr and stdout as LCD. Any idea?

You can do this. You can switch any time between serial, LCD, and any
other of the configured I/O devices.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I realize that command does have its fascination, even under  circum-
stances such as these, but I neither enjoy the idea of command nor am
I  frightened  of  it. It simply exists, and I will do whatever logi-
cally needs to be done.
	-- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2812.7

* [U-Boot-Users] Could one image work with both LCD and serial console?
@ 2004-08-29  2:37     ` Sam Song
From: Sam Song @ 2004-08-29  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de> wrote?

> > CONFIG_LCD. Also,it seems that I cannot make
> > serial
>
> Just type "setenv stdout serial;setenv stdin serial"
> - if  you  want;
> you can put this command sequence in the "preboot"
> variable (assuming
> you enabled CONFIG_PREBOOT for your board).

OK. I will test it by now and see what happens. I
didn't define CONFIG_PREBOOT for my board.

> > console image switch to LCD output by simply
> setting
> > stderr and stdout as LCD. Any idea?
>
> You can do this. You can switch any time between
> serial, LCD, and any
> other of the configured I/O devices.

So nice to get the solid answer. This means I should
adjust some explanation in board/RPXlite_dw/readme.
There are some misleading content I did. Wait my patch
later.

Best regards,

Sam

http://music.yisou.com/