* Kernel or Grub bug.
@ 2004-09-01  3:12 Wise, Jeremey
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Wise, Jeremey @ 2004-09-01  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, Wise, Beth & Jeremey

Intro:With some level of trepidation I post this. I am not a programmer
but a computer consultant. I have been round and round on this issue and
have been pushed into this last effort, in hopes of getting Linux
working for me.

Issue: $600 dollar phone worthless as it's palm functions do not sync.
Hareware/OS: IBM Thinkpad T41 SuSE 9.1 running KDE 3.2

History: Per conversation with pilot-link devoloper (refernaced here
http://lists.pilot-link.org/pipermail/pilot-link-general/2004-
August/001924.html) their is a 'known issue' with the SuSE 9.1 ( ) which
I use. This is in conjunction with a buggy visor module (again,
referenced in email thread). SuSE says this is not their issue (unless I
put down a credit card:>) but acknowledge that it does look strange
(ticket number upon request). Only recourse is to move to a none 'buggy'
kernel (ie. >= 2.6.7)

Problem: Whenever I compile a 2.6.8.xxx kernel, with full patching on
any system and attempt to boot it I halt with the following error
"Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)"

What I have tried: Several variations of: Fedora Core vs SuSE, reiserfs
vs ext3, or lilo vs grub. All yeild the same error. Also built
variations of 2.4 kernels and booted them on each system test to ensure
that my kernel compile skills were not missing something stupid or that
their was a hardware issue. I have also done seval weeks worth of LUG
and google searching  and inquiries and have not come up with any
suggestions that worked (lots of them ... but none fixing the kernel
booting issue).
*********
Google hit on what APEARS to be many others hitting same issue:
http://usermodelinux.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=134
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-
December/msg00426.html
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0309.3/0681.html
http://search.luky.org/linux-kernel.2003/msg43513.html

I have also tried all suggestions or checks referenced therein
*******************

Kernel build process used:
1) Download kernel source from kernel.org (linux-2.6.8.1.tar.bz2)
2) Download Base Patches (patch-2.6.9-rc1.bz2)
3) Download Kernel Developer Specific tree Patches if desired (patch-
2.6.9-rc1-bk7.bz2)
4) 'cd /usr/src' -> place where all the source files will be put
5) Copy kernel file you downloaded into source directory -
>'cp /tmp/linux-2.6.8.1.tar.bz2 /usr/src'
6) Unpack kernel -> "bzip2 -d linux-2.6.8.1.tar.bz2"
7) Untar kernel -> "tar -xvf linux-2.6.8.1.tar.bz2"
9) Enter into kernel source directory -> "cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.8.1"
10) Copy kernel patch files to current directory -> "cp /tmp/patch* ."
11) Unpack patch files "bzip2 -d patch-2.6.9-rc1.bz2;bzip2 -d patch-
2.6.9-rc1-bk7.bz2"
12) Apply the main tree patch "patch -p1 < patch-2.6.9-rc1"
13) Apply kernel devolper patch if desired or downloaded "patch -p1 <
patch-2.6.9-rc1-bk7"
14) Copy configuration from currently running kernel
"cp /proc/config.gz /usr/src/linux-2.6.8.1"
15) Unpack currenty running system config file and move change it to
correct name "gzip -d config.gz;mv config .config"
16) Modify 'Makefile' the reflect current extraversion. Use 'vi' editor
to change it like example "EXTRAVERSION = .1-MyKernel"
17) Configure system specific settings via 'make menuconfig' or 'make
xconfig'
18) After exiting utity and saving configuration we can start compile
'make bzImage'
19) Copy the completed kernel image for booting 'cp
arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-MyKernel'
20) After that completes we can compile required modules and install
them into /lib/modules 'make modules;make modules_install'
21) Now that the kernel is complete we can build a RAMDISK if required
'mkinitrd'
22) Lastly is to modify boot parameters for bootloader.
Likely /boot/grub/grub.conf or /boot/grub/menu.conf

Current Partition information:
/dev/hda1               1         217      102501   83  Linux -> /boot
/dev/hda2             218        2384     1023907+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda3            2385       61950    28144935   83  Linux -> /

Current GRUB config file:
color white/blue black/light-gray
default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd0,0)/message

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title Linux
    kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 showopts
    initrd (hd0,0)/initrd

title 2.6.8.1-Palm
    kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-Palm showopts
    initrd (hd0,0)/initrd-2.6.8.1-Palm

*********************************
I have also tried "root=0303" per conversation with LUG members where
major and minor numbers were referenced instead of labels or /dev/hdaX
ls /dev/hda3
brw-rw----  1 root disk 3, 3 Apr  6 09:27 hda3
**********************************

I apologize for the mound of information. I would rather post too much
then too little. I would also usually join the list but being on SuSE,
Evolution, and Palm is enough right now with my day-job:>)

Please post directly back to me at the email listed below. I can supply
far greater detail as needed.

Jeremey Wise
jeremey.wise@agilysys.com

All opinions or information expressed here are personal in nature and do
not reflect the official position of Agilysys Inc.

* Re: Kernel or Grub bug.
@ 2004-09-01  4:28 ` Prasad
       [not found] ` <200408312358.08153.dsteven3@maine.rr.com>
From: Prasad @ 2004-09-01  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wise, Jeremey, linux-kernel

>"Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)"

This indicates that the kernel is not able to find the root partition.
and that the kernel has already booted - most likely not a problem with
GRUB.

>title Linux
>    kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 showopts
>    initrd (hd0,0)/initrd
>
>title 2.6.8.1-Palm
>    kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-Palm showopts
>    initrd (hd0,0)/initrd-2.6.8.1-Palm

Your partition table suggests that there are two different partitions
for '/boot'
and '/'.  The GRUB loads the kernel from '/boot' which is (hd0,0) but the
kernel is unable to find the '/' partition.   You may pass it using the
parameter
root=/dev/hda3.

That should work.

Prasad

* Re: Kernel or Grub bug.
@ 2004-09-01  5:20   ` Marcos D. Marado Torres
From: Marcos D. Marado Torres @ 2004-09-01  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prasad; +Cc: Wise, Jeremey, linux-kernel

* Re: Kernel or Grub bug.
@ 2004-09-01  5:24 ` Obelix
       [not found] ` <200408312358.08153.dsteven3@maine.rr.com>
From: Obelix @ 2004-09-01  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wise, Jeremey; +Cc: linux-kernel

>"Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)"

Most likely a bad initrd. recheck where your /boot/initrd is pointing
to.

- obelix

* Re: Kernel or Grub bug.
@ 2004-09-01  6:16     ` prasad
From: prasad @ 2004-09-01  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcos D. Marado Torres; +Cc: Wise, Jeremey, linux-kernel

have you tried removing the initrd entry in GRUB.
In most cases you can safely do away with it.  That would
atleast make sure the problem is not with the initrd.

Prasad

> -

* Re: Kernel or Grub bug.
@ 2004-09-01  6:55       ` Marcos D. Marado Torres
From: Marcos D. Marado Torres @ 2004-09-01  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: prasad; +Cc: Wise, Jeremey, linux-kernel

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 prasad@atc.tcs.co.in wrote:

> have you tried removing the initrd entry in GRUB.
> In most cases you can safely do away with it.  That would
> atleast make sure the problem is not with the initrd.

Yes, I did it.
I'm actually using lilo, but I've tried with both.

Mind Booster Noori

> Prasad

>> -
>> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
>> Please read the FAQ at  http://www.tux.org/lkml/

- --
/* *************************************************************** */
    Marcos Daniel Marado Torres	     AKA	Mind Booster Noori
    http://student.dei.uc.pt/~marado   -	  marado@student.dei.uc.pt
    () Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against html email, Microsoft
    /\ attachments and Software patents.   They endanger the World.
    Sign a petition against patents:  http://petition.eurolinux.org
/* *************************************************************** */

* Re: Kernel or Grub bug.
       [not found] ` <200408312358.08153.dsteven3@maine.rr.com>
@ 2004-09-01 12:20   ` Wise, Jeremey
       [not found]     ` <200409011135.36537.dsteven3@maine.rr.com>
From: Wise, Jeremey @ 2004-09-01 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David B. Stevens, linux-kernel, Marcos D. Marado Torres

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 23:58 -0400, David B. Stevens wrote:
> Jeremey,
>
> It might help if you had attached the failing kernel config file and a copy of
> your /etc/fstab  it appears that whatever file system you have root on is not
> recognized by the kernel.
>
> Cheers,
>   Dave

Thanks for all the replies. I will have to second all that Marcos D.
Marado Torres <marado@student.dei.uc.pt> has said. I did notice that my
post of grub.conf config in the original email lacked the
"root=/dev/hda3" as I had made so many attempts to get it to boot with
other people's suggestions (fat finger:>) Just to ensure full testing I
redid all test inputs "root=/dev/hda3" and also "root=0303" and also
tried a Fedora Core box with the same kernel and initrd with the above
and also a "root=LABEL-/" with the same error.

Here are both the config file (copied from /proc/config.gz) and the one
I am attempting to get to work (using the same kind of option selection
I know works with my 2.4.x tree.

Jeremey Wise
jeremey.wise@agilysys.com

All opinions or information expressed here are personal in nature and do
not reflect the official position of Agilysys Inc.

[-- Attachment #2: config-2.6.5-7.104-default.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 15089 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: config-2.6.8.1.gz --]
[-- Type: application/x-gzip, Size: 10358 bytes --]

* Re: Kernel or Grub bug.
@ 2004-09-01 13:40   ` Horst von Brand
From: Horst von Brand @ 2004-09-01 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prasad; +Cc: Wise, Jeremey, linux-kernel

Prasad <prasad@atc.tcs.co.in> said:
> "Wise, Jeremey" <jeremey.wise@agilysys.com> said:
> >"Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)"

> This indicates that the kernel is not able to find the root partition.
> and that the kernel has already booted - most likely not a problem with
> GRUB.

Might be a broken/missing initrd, or the module(s) for the root filesystem
missing in your build.

* Re: Kernel or Grub bug.
       [not found]     ` <200409011135.36537.dsteven3@maine.rr.com>
@ 2004-09-01 16:26       ` Wise, Jeremey
       [not found]         ` <4699bb7b04090109415f64fea1@mail.gmail.com>
From: Wise, Jeremey @ 2004-09-01 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David B. Stevens, linux-kernel

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 11:35 -0400, David B. Stevens wrote:
> Jeremey,
>
> Your default kernel (the 104 SuSE one) has EXT2 specified as included in the
> kernel.  The kernel you are trying to install has Reiser included in the
> kernel.
My system is all reiserfs though the Fedora core box I also did testing
on was EXT3.
wizej:/home/wisej/packages # mount
/dev/hda3 on / type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/dev/hdc on /media/cdrecorder type subfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,fs=cdfss,
procuid,iocharset=utf8)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

> Here is my bet on your problem, the root device is an EXT2 partition and since
> the EXT2 routines are not loaded the kernel goes belly up.
>
> Please change  CONFIG_EXT2_FS=m to CONFIG_EXT2_FS=Y via the kernel config
> system and re build the 2.6.8.1 kernel.
>
> Also check your /etc/fstab here is mine:

Here is mine in return:>)
/dev/hda3            /                    reiserfs   acl,user_xattr
1 1
/dev/hda1            /boot                reiserfs   acl,user_xattr
1 2
/dev/hda2            swap                 swap       pri=42
0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5
0 0
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults
0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto
0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto
0 0
/dev/cdrecorder      /media/cdrecorder    subfs      fs=cdfss,ro,
procuid,nosuid,
nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

> Cheers,
>   Dave
Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate any direction provided. I am
sure it is something stupid and so I started recompile of kernel to have
reiser, ext2, ext3 all modular (though I have tried that before).

@ 2004-09-01 19:40           ` Wise, Jeremey
From: Wise, Jeremey @ 2004-09-01 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Hunt, linux-kernel

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 04:41 +1200, Oliver Hunt wrote:
> If the reiserfs module is compiled as, well, a module, rather than
> built in to the kernel you won't be able to boot.
>
> To load modules kernel needs access to modules, but as these reside on
> a reiserfs partition it needs to load the reiserfs module... hence it
> isn't possible to do that.
>
> Note:  If you've other filesystems you can load them as modules, the
> important one is your root file system needs to be mounable without
> modules.
Maybe I am a bit confused here but I take the above statement to mean
one of two options

1) If I choose to compile the required file system modules "reiserfs"
monolithicaly into my 2.8.1 kernel I can NOT also allow the kernel to
see a module in initrd for reiserfs.ko? If this is what you mean .. my
question is why would the kernel even care? The mount request would be
called and the proper module (reiserfs) would be present to parse said
request. Please correct
2) If I choose to compile the kernel with reiserfs as a modules (ie not
monolithicaly  in the kernel) then I will have issues as the kernel has
to have the driver reiserfs to mount the root file system to be able to
load /lib/modules/..../reiserfs.ko. If this is what you meant then
again, I am a bit confused. I thought that was the whole point of the
initrd image in that those modules (RAID, FC, USB, Network
etc....)required to get the OS to the state that it has a / they must be
compiled in the initrd which is called and referaned in grub or lilo.
Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

@ 2004-09-01 19:46           ` Wise, Jeremey
From: Wise, Jeremey @ 2004-09-01 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Hunt, linux-kernel

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 04:41 +1200, Oliver Hunt wrote:
> If the reiserfs module is compiled as, well, a module, rather than
> built in to the kernel you won't be able to boot.
>
> To load modules kernel needs access to modules, but as these reside on
> a reiserfs partition it needs to load the reiserfs module... hence it
> isn't possible to do that.

Thanks for your response but I guess I need a little clarification. I
believe you meant one of the two options below:

[...]

@ 2004-09-02 21:02         ` Horst von Brand
                             ` (3 more replies)
From: Horst von Brand @ 2004-09-02 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wise, Jeremey; +Cc: David B. Stevens, linux-kernel

"Wise, Jeremey" <jeremey.wise@agilysys.com> said:

[...]
> My system is all reiserfs though the Fedora core box I also did testing
> on was EXT3.

grub can't handle ReiserFS.

* Re: Kernel or Grub bug.
@ 2004-09-02 21:33             ` Valdis.Kletnieks
From: Valdis.Kletnieks @ 2004-09-02 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wise, Jeremey; +Cc: Oliver Hunt, linux-kernel

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:40:12 EDT, "Wise, Jeremey" said:

> 2) If I choose to compile the kernel with reiserfs as a modules (ie not
> monolithicaly  in the kernel) then I will have issues as the kernel has
> to have the driver reiserfs to mount the root file system to be able to
> load /lib/modules/..../reiserfs.ko. If this is what you meant then
> again, I am a bit confused. I thought that was the whole point of the
> initrd image in that those modules (RAID, FC, USB, Network
> etc....)required to get the OS to the state that it has a / they must be
> compiled in the initrd which is called and referaned in grub or lilo.
> Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

A somewhat subtle gotcha that I got bit by once - very bad things
happen if you try to load reiserfs off an ext2-formatted initrd image,
and your kernel doesn't have ext2 built in.  (Feel free to substitute
any 2 filesystem formats - I actually got nailed by ext2/ext3)...

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 226 bytes --]

* Re: Kernel or Grub bug.
@ 2004-09-02 22:53           ` David B. Stevens
                             ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David B. Stevens @ 2004-09-02 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Horst von Brand; +Cc: Wise, Jeremey, linux-kernel

On Thursday 02 September 2004 17:02, Horst von Brand wrote:
> "Wise, Jeremey" <jeremey.wise@agilysys.com> said:
>
> [...]
>
> > My system is all reiserfs though the Fedora core box I also did testing
> > on was EXT3.
>
> grub can't handle ReiserFS.

Which is probably one of the reasons why SuSE uses a RAMDISK with an EXT2
image to start Reiserfs based systems.

Jeremey take a look at the SuSE boot sequence the first root filesystem is
EXT2 and it is a RAMDISK.

Cheers,
  Dave

* Re: Kernel or Grub bug.
@ 2004-09-02 23:25           ` David B. Stevens
From: David B. Stevens @ 2004-09-02 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Horst von Brand; +Cc: Wise, Jeremey, linux-kernel

On Thursday 02 September 2004 17:02, Horst von Brand wrote:
> "Wise, Jeremey" <jeremey.wise@agilysys.com> said:
>
> [...]
>
> > My system is all reiserfs though the Fedora core box I also did testing
> > on was EXT3.
>
> grub can't handle ReiserFS.

But it is supposed to according to the docs.

Support multiple filesystem types
    Support multiple filesystem types transparently, plus a useful explicit
blocklist notation. The currently supported filesystem types are BSD FFS, DOS
FAT16 and FAT32, Minix fs, Linux ext2fs, ReiserFS, JFS, XFS, and VSTa fs. See
Filesystem, for more information.

Cheers,
  Dave

* Re: Kernel or Grub bug.
@ 2004-09-03  0:31             ` David Lloyd
From: David Lloyd @ 2004-09-03  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David B. Stevens; +Cc: Horst von Brand, Wise, Jeremey, linux-kernel

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, David B. Stevens wrote:

> On Thursday 02 September 2004 17:02, Horst von Brand wrote:
>> "Wise, Jeremey" <jeremey.wise@agilysys.com> said:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> My system is all reiserfs though the Fedora core box I also did testing
>>> on was EXT3.
>>
>> grub can't handle ReiserFS.
>
> But it is supposed to according to the docs.

I have nothing but reiser and grub works fine for me

* Re: Kernel or Grub bug.
@ 2004-09-03  0:37           ` Johann Koenig
From: Johann Koenig @ 2004-09-03  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Thursday September  2 at 05:02pm
Horst von Brand <vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:

> grub can't handle ReiserFS.

Works for me: Debian with stripped-down (non-initrd) 2.6.8.1, root and
home are reiserfs. No other filesystem types..

jkoenig@note:~$ apt-cache policy grub
grub:
  Installed: 0.95+cvs20040624-8
<snip>
jkoenig@note:~$ mount
/dev/hda1 on / type reiserfs (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/hda5 on /home type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /home/jkoenig/mp3 type reiserfs (rw)
jkoenig@note:~$
--
-johann koenig
Today is Setting Orange, the 26th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3170

* Re: Kernel or Grub bug.
@ 2004-09-03  2:15               ` David B. Stevens
From: David B. Stevens @ 2004-09-03  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Lloyd; +Cc: Horst von Brand, Wise, Jeremey, linux-kernel

On Thursday 02 September 2004 20:31, David Lloyd wrote:
> I have nothing but reiser and grub works fine for me
> -
That would match up with the docs.

Cheers,
  Dave

* Re: Kernel or Grub bug.
@ 2004-09-03 14:29               ` Marcos D. Marado Torres
From: Marcos D. Marado Torres @ 2004-09-03 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valdis.Kletnieks; +Cc: Wise, Jeremey, Oliver Hunt, linux-kernel

* Re: Kernel or Grub bug.
                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-09-19 10:03           ` Yury Umanets
From: Yury Umanets @ 2004-09-19 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Horst von Brand; +Cc: Wise, Jeremey, David B. Stevens, linux-kernel

Horst von Brand wrote:

>"Wise, Jeremey" <jeremey.wise@agilysys.com> said:
>
>[...]
>

>>My system is all reiserfs though the Fedora core box I also did testing
>>on was EXT3.
>>

>grub can't handle ReiserFS.

May be you have non standard reiserfs journal size? If so, then you
probably want to apply special patch for that...

--
umka

* Re: Kernel or Grub bug.
@ 2004-09-20 14:27             ` Tonnerre