* reiserfs UncorrectableError - panic!
@ 2004-09-01 16:36 Luca Ferrari
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2004-09-01 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

Hi,
today one of my machines stop working, with errors about the filesystem. After
a reboot, the system shows a few messages like the following:

hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriverReady SeejComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=1025375, high=0,
low=1025375, sector=1025375
end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 1025375

I've tried to boot the machine with a rescue cdrom (the OS is suse 9.1) and I
made a check on the disk. However, while "reiserfsck --check /dev/hda1"
worked, "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/hda1" stops saying:
bread: cannot read a block # 9543

and, of course, I'm not able to start the machine. This happens also for
another partition, but not for all /dev/hda partitions. In fact, /dev/hda9
and /dev/hda11 were rightly checked.
Searching on Internet I found that it could be a disk problem (i.e., a
physical problem); but I hope it's not. However it must be said that the
machine and disk in question have been used for only one year.
Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Luca
--
Luca Ferrari,
fluca1978@infinito.it

* Re: reiserfs UncorrectableError - panic!
@ 2004-09-01 17:00 ` Laurent CARON
From: Laurent CARON @ 2004-09-01 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Ferrari; +Cc: linux-admin

Luca Ferrari wrote:

>Hi,
>today one of my machines stop working, with errors about the filesystem. After
>a reboot, the system shows a few messages like the following:
>
>hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriverReady SeejComplete Error }
>hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=1025375, high=0,
>low=1025375, sector=1025375
>end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 1025375
>
>I've tried to boot the machine with a rescue cdrom (the OS is suse 9.1) and I
>made a check on the disk. However, while "reiserfsck --check /dev/hda1"
>worked, "reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/hda1" stops saying:
>bread: cannot read a block # 9543
>
>and, of course, I'm not able to start the machine. This happens also for
>another partition, but not for all /dev/hda partitions. In fact, /dev/hda9
>and /dev/hda11 were rightly checked.
>Searching on Internet I found that it could be a disk problem (i.e., a
>physical problem); but I hope it's not. However it must be said that the
>machine and disk in question have been used for only one year.
>Any suggestion?
>
>Thanks,
>Luca

seems the disk will soon die.

you should backup any valuable data and get a new drive

Laurent

--
You will be given a post of trust and responsibility.

* Re: reiserfs UncorrectableError - panic!
@ 2004-09-01 17:04 ` markus reichelt
From: markus reichelt @ 2004-09-01 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

* Re: reiserfs UncorrectableError - panic!
@ 2004-09-02  7:17   ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2004-09-02  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 19:04 markus reichelt's cat walking on the
keyboard  wrote:

> Luca Ferrari <fluca1978@infinito.it> wrote:
> > hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriverReady SeejComplete Error }
> > hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=1025375,
> > high=0,
>
> the disk is failing and not likely to recover. backup what you can
> and replace the disk. it might be a good idea to start using the
> smartmon tools

Just to say, can it be related to the upgrade to the suse 9.1 made a month
ago?

Luca

--
Luca Ferrari,
fluca1978@katamail.com

* Re: reiserfs UncorrectableError - panic!
@ 2004-09-02  8:42     ` markus reichelt
From: markus reichelt @ 2004-09-02  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

* Re: reiserfs UncorrectableError - panic!
@ 2004-09-03  7:42       ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2004-09-03  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

On Thursday 02 September 2004 10:42 markus reichelt's cat walking on the
keyboard  wrote:

> > > the disk is failing and not likely to recover. backup what you can
> > > and replace the disk. it might be a good idea to start using the
> > > smartmon tools
> >
> > Just to say, can it be related to the upgrade to the suse 9.1 made a
> > month ago?
>
> no, that is not likely, not at all. by the way, the disk isn't a
> maxtor one by any chance?

The disk is a maxtor, and precisely a 6y200p0. Is there a bug with maxtors?

Luca

--

@ 2004-09-03  9:06         ` markus reichelt
From: markus reichelt @ 2004-09-03  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

* Re: reiserfs UncorrectableError (Crappy Maxtor)
@ 2004-09-03 14:16           ` Scott Taylor
From: Scott Taylor @ 2004-09-03 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

markus reichelt said:

> strangely, my older maxtor drives (with 80 GB capacity and below) work
> fine for 3+ years, even in heavy use. the problems started with those 120+
> drives...

The problem only really started in the last year an a half.  Before that,
Maxtor _was_ a good company.  IBM even used Maxtor drives in all there
desktops, for the longest time.  AFAIK, and from personal experience, only
the thin Diamondmax drives were causing problems.

The big problem is, even after thousands of RMAs, Maxtor has done nothing
about it.  Now my RMAs are even coming back with someone else's OS on
them.

Recently I picked up a drive from a local office supply store, some cheap
third party thing for home use, open it up and find a Maxtor Diamondmax
drive in the box.  Nothing no the box saying what was inside, just a
really cheep price tag.

So, now you know where your RMAs are going, make sure to leave a Linux
Master Boot Record on them so home users can't install Windows and will be
forced to take them back before they burn out in the 3-6 months of their
expected life cycle.

--
Scott

* The History of Disk Drives Re: reiserfs UncorrectableError (Crappy Maxtor)
@ 2004-09-03 16:52             ` Stephen J. Smoogen
From: Stephen J. Smoogen @ 2004-09-03 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

I think hard drives go in cycles of good/pad drives... and the best
thing admins can do is stay informed enough to keep up with the latest
garbage.

There have been times were I have used Maxtors, WD, Seagate, IBM, and
a couple of know-names or brands I cant remember. From 20 years of
doing this.. I dont think I have had any brand have a track record of
good drives more than 2 years. After that they always seem to become
too popular and cant build enough disks to meet demand. The drives
then go into free-fall and people swear never to use them again and
the next big manufacturer comes out.

This is my normal pattern (after being burnt too long).

Never rely on one disk drive for critical data. Use at least 3.. it
triples the failure rate but decreases the recovery time in a normal
failure case.

If you are doing this yourself, buy 4 spares for every production
drive and burn them all regularly to make sure you dont have a dud in
the spare cabinet.

Never use the latest set of drive technologies unless you REALLY have to.

Always calculate the maximum power consumption of your disk drives and
compare it with the maximum constant power your power supply can
accomplish.

If you have data that doesnt change and you have a machine in a dirty
room, use solid state as much as possible.

Find out the disk drive manufacturers that the big boys (EMC, Netapp,
etc) are using and AVOID them if possible. Netapp, EMC, IBM etc buy
disks in LARGE allotments, put them through a torture test and return
all the ones that dont survive (95 in 100 usually dont). The disk
manufacturer usually rebuilds them.. and rumour some resell them. In
any case, the best of the drives are being bought by the really big
guys, and smaller dealers only get whats left.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
Professional System Administrator

* Re: The History of Disk Drives Re: reiserfs UncorrectableError (Crappy Maxtor)
@ 2004-09-23 18:23               ` markus reichelt
From: markus reichelt @ 2004-09-23 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

* Re: reiserfs UncorrectableError - panic!
@ 2005-01-28 11:47 ` Luca Ferrari
From: Luca Ferrari @ 2005-01-28 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

On Wednesday 1 September 2004 18:36 Luca Ferrari's cat walking on the keyboard
wrote:

> Hi,
> today one of my machines stop working, with errors about the filesystem.
> After a reboot, the system shows a few messages like the following:
>
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {DriverReady SeejComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=1025375, high=0,
> low=1025375, sector=1025375
> end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 1025375

Hi,
always on the same machine, but with a new hard disk, it happened again for
two times: after installation and a few reboots, the disk causes problems
like the above. After a rebuild-sb, the whole boot partition was unable, so I
guess I have to install the whole system again. Anybody has an idea of why
it's happening? I'm using a suse 9.1, reiserfs 3.6, and the machine has
worked for a couple of years without any problem.
Suggestions?

Thanks,
Luca

--