* [Bluez-users] newbie fedora2 & bluez questions
@ 2004-09-01 18:33 David Zhu
From: David Zhu @ 2004-09-01 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bluez-users

Hi All,

I tried following the many howto guides on the web but
I always seem to have problems after a certain step.
So I hope I'm not offending anyone with what may be a
really simple issue.  Here we go...

I have a DLink DBT-120 Rev 4 USB Bluetooth adapter,
which I have confirmed is supported on the hardware
page.

I've installed the necessary packages from the fedora
core 2:

bluez-libs-2.5-2.1
bluez-utils-2.4-3
gnome-bluetooth-0.4.1-7
bluez-sdp-1.5-2.1

I'm running kernel 2.6.8

so when I do a "hcitool scan" I am able to find:
00:02:EE:E0:2A:E6       Nokia 6820

but when I do a "sdptool browse" I always get
Inquiring ...
Failed to connect to SDP server on 00:02:EE:E0:2A:E6:
Function not implemented

Now I have a ThinkPad T30 which also has bluetooth,
and again the same thing happens.  But if I try to
browse for bluetooth services from the thinkpad, I get
the PIN request, which I enter what I found in
/et/bluetooth/pin.  So after the two devices are
paired, now when I run sdptool browse I can see the
services offered by the thinkpad but still not the
nokia.

Does it seem weird that I have to pair before I can
browse for services?  Or is something else
fundamentally wrong?  The other thing is I can't use
the nokia to browse so I can't get it paired with the
Dlink bluetooth adapter.  Please help!

Below is my hcid.conf file:

#
# HCI daemon configuration file.
#
# $Id: hcid.conf,v 1.3 2002/07/18 18:12:46 maxk Exp $
#

# HCId options
options {
        # Automatically initialize new devices
        autoinit yes;

        # Security Manager mode
        #   none - Security manager disabled
        #   auto - Use local PIN for incoming
connections
        #   user - Always ask user for a PIN
        #
        security auto;

        # Pairing mode
        #   none  - Pairing disabled
        #   multi - Allow pairing with already paired
devices
        #   once  - Pair once and deny successive
attempts
        pairing multi;

        # PIN helper
        pin_helper /usr/bin/bluepin;
        #dbus_pin_helper;

        # A dbus PIN daemon can be found at
        #
ftp://ftp.handhelds.org/pub/projects/gpe/source/bluez-pin-0.20.tar.gz
}

# Default settings for HCI devices
device {
        # Local device name
        #   %d - device id
        #   %h - host name
        name "%h-%d";

        # Local device class
        class 0x120104;

        # Default packet type
        #pkt_type DH1,DM1,HV1;

        # Inquiry and Page scan
        iscan enable; pscan enable;

        # Default link mode
        #   none   - no specific policy
        #   accept - always accept incoming
connections
        #   master - become master on incoming
connections,
        #            deny role switch on outgoing
connections
        #
        #lm accept,master;
        #
        lm accept;

        # Default link policy
        #   none    - no specific policy
        #   rswitch - allow role switch
        #   hold    - allow hold mode
        #   sniff   - allow sniff mode
        #   park    - allow park mode
        #
        #lp hold,sniff;
        #
        lp hold,sniff,park;

        # Authentication and Encryption
        auth enable;
        encrypt enable;
}

Thanks in advance!
David

* Re: [Bluez-users] newbie fedora2 & bluez questions
@ 2004-09-06  8:18 ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2004-09-06  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Zhu; +Cc: bluez-users

Hi David,

> I tried following the many howto guides on the web but
> I always seem to have problems after a certain step.
> So I hope I'm not offending anyone with what may be a
> really simple issue.  Here we go...
>
> I have a DLink DBT-120 Rev 4 USB Bluetooth adapter,
> which I have confirmed is supported on the hardware
> page.
>
> I've installed the necessary packages from the fedora
> core 2:
>
> bluez-libs-2.5-2.1
> bluez-utils-2.4-3
> gnome-bluetooth-0.4.1-7
> bluez-sdp-1.5-2.1
>
> I'm running kernel 2.6.8
>
> so when I do a "hcitool scan" I am able to find:
> 00:02:EE:E0:2A:E6       Nokia 6820
>
> but when I do a "sdptool browse" I always get
> Inquiring ...
> Failed to connect to SDP server on 00:02:EE:E0:2A:E6:
> Function not implemented

you enabled auth and encrypt and this means you set your device into
security mode 3. Don't do this and check my previous mails in the
mailing list archive for more details.

Regards

Marcel

* Re: [Bluez-users] newbie fedora2 & bluez questions
       [not found] ` <20040903062825.78019.qmail@web11608.mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2004-09-03  7:48   ` Andreas Gaufer
From: Andreas Gaufer @ 2004-09-03  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Zhu; +Cc: Bluez Users

Hi David,

As Marcel often wrote in this List:

>Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 18:02:50 +0200
>From: Marcel Holtmann <marcel@holtmann.org>
>To: Riku Voipio <riku.voipio@iki.fi>
>Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Pairing problems(?)
>
>>         auth enable;
>>         encrypt enable;

>this is security mode 3. Don't do it unless you really want it and
knows>what this implies.

security mode 3 means that your host does almost nothing without
authentcation. I guess your mobile does not like this in case of the
sdp-browse (witch is totaly ok).

There is no security problem in this, you can still step up to a
authenticated and encrypted connection if one of the peers requests it.

Greetings

Andy

--
Blue Cell Networks GmbH
Industriestraße 1b

Tel.: 0951-700 42 891 | Fax.: 0951-700 42 887

Diese Email sowie sämtliche mit ihr übertragenen Dateien enthalten
vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen, welche
lediglich für den/die Adressaten bestimmt sind. Sollten Sie nicht der
vorgesehene Empfänger sein, ist Ihnen der Gebrauch, die Verbreitung oder
Vervielfältigung der darin enthaltenen Informationen nicht gestattet.
Sollten Sie nicht der vorgesehene Empfänger sein, benachrichtigen Sie
den Absender bitte umgehend per Email und vernichten Sie die
Originalnachricht einschließlich etwaiger Kopien und angehängter
Dateien. Vielen Dank.